#66 fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I am looking at booking a trip from NYP to BOS on #66, in November. Here is what I have found from the website:

Traveling business class: with no discounts...$69 rail fare+$35 BC= $104 total

with AAA discount...$62.10 rail fare+$35 BC= $97.10 total

Now that makes sense, but this doesn't (at least to me):

Without business class: with no discounts.....$49.00 rail fare total

with AAA discount.....$62.10 rail fare total

I guess I don't travel the Northeast Corridor enough to understand why a AAA DISCOUNT produces a higher fare than not having a discount when not traveling business class. At least the website gives a warning when trying to apply the AAA discount stating it results in a higher fare.

The $49 represents the 14-day, non-refundable advance purchase fare. I think the AAA discount cannot be applied

to that fare.

This has been the case for a while. The "E" bucket ($49) is not valid as base fare for Business Class, so the base fare is upgraded to "D" bucket ($69) before the business class upgrade is added. Also the "E" bucket does not allow special discounts (AAA). The computer "should" simply apply the "E" bucket with no discount (also AAA $49) but it upgrades it to "D" bucket and applies the discount from there.

Don't forget that the $49 fare is now no longer refundable!!! if you purchase an E bucket ticket your only choice is a voucher. If you purchase a D bucket AAA ticket, I believe you can get a full refund if you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure.

In this case, it would help if the Amtrak website were a little more transparent about the fact that the fare quoted is a 14-day advance

non-refundable purchase fare. Yes, you can click on the Terms & Conditions and discover this, but the current set-up produces

confusing situations like the one the OP described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back