#66 Philly to Boston 12-8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
took 66 to boston the other night in business class. fell asleep outside new haven and when i woke up in rhode island i could have swore i heard a P-42 chugging. AEM-7 was on point in philly. when i finally woke up and got off in boston 101 and 62 (P-42'S) were on the front and the electric gone, does any one know why electric must have been up a southbound acela left shortly after we pulled in

They do overnight cat work, and 66/67 usually operate with a P-42 north of NYP. (It's shut off around Sunnyside Yard, just before entering the East River tunnel. I've had a P-42 all the way past WAS, with an electric helper to get thru NYP.)

it was just the electric from philly to new haven they took it off and put 2 P-42's on it in new haven and left the electric there

I'm surprised they switched at NHV, as that is a 3 minute stop. NYP is well over an hour, and an engine change takes 30-45 minutes!
Actually if everyone is on the same page and their ready to do their jobs efficiently, an engine change takes no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

I've seen it done in NHV as well (or rather, the engine change at NHV woke me up....).

I sometimes see 67 departing BOS, and it has been a long time since the last time I saw it leave under electric power. I wonder if Amtrak is either doing a lot of maintenance or just using P42s more consistently now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back