750 million dollar Sunset

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. How was the OTP for the trains on UP track like the Desert Wind before the Southern Pacific merger? Was the UP always this hostile? Or was is a result of the Southern Pacific merger? I know the SP was always hostile to passenger trains.
Maybe this is another one of these "turn off the sound and watch the action moments."

Let's just say that there is NO Amtrak service on the original (pre merger-mania) Union Pacific. All passenger service currently on UP is on lines that were either Missouri Pacific, Denver and Rio Grande Western, or Southern Pacific. Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a question. How was the OTP for the trains on UP track like the Desert Wind before the Southern Pacific merger? Was the UP always this hostile? Or was is a result of the Southern Pacific merger? I know the SP was always hostile to passenger trains.
Maybe this is another one of these "turn off the sound and watch the action moments."

Let's just say that there is NO Amtrak service on the original (pre merger-mania) Union Pacific. All passenger service currently on UP is on lines that were either Missouri Pacific, Denver and Rio Grande Western, or Southern Pacific. Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.
The Desert Wind (between Los Angeles area and Salt Lake City area) and Pioneer (between Denver area and Portland area) did run on UP lines, right?

But, as far as current Amtrak service, yeah, I cannot think of any on pre-1980s/1990s mergers Union Pacific trackage.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure it matters which fallen flag the opposition originally came from. It's all UP now and has been for many years. In name, policy, and staff. It is my position that Amtrak cannot truly succeed, let alone thrive, in its current form and will require shorter schedules with increased frequency that can compete effectively with cars and buses. Right now our vehicular speed limits are slowly increasing while Amtrak's speeds are slowly decreasing. UP's past attitude toward expansion (and swallowing up corporate subsidies whole) implies to me that they will likely not be negotiating in good faith now or in the future. However, I don't expect much in the way of obvious change from UP's current holding pattern until after the midterm elections. As they get to know the new congress and size up their strengths and weaknesses I think you'll eventually see more resistance heading Amtrak's way. If there is a large swing toward the right and Obama is eventually replaced with a TP-approved candidate I would expect a corresponding swing toward anti-Amtrak sentiment funded by many sources beyond freight railroads, including airlines and car makers.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Desert Wind (between Los Angeles area and Salt Lake City area) and Pioneer (between Denver area and Portland area) did run on UP lines, right?

But, as far as current Amtrak service, yeah, I cannot think of any on pre-1980s/1990s mergers Union Pacific trackage.
But remember that Amtrak had nothing on D&RGW initially, and the San Francisco Zephyr (not California Zephyr which started when Amtrak moved to D&RGW) ran on the Overland Route between Denver and Ogden, and that was always UP. So strictly speaking NO Amtrak service on UP pre-merger is incorrect. Any of the trains that are running today AFAICT did not run on UP back then unless you consider the California Zephyr to be a latter day incarnation of the San Francisco Zephyr.

But remember that Amtrak had nothing on D&RGW initially, and the San Francisco Zephyr (not California Zephyr which started when Amtrak moved to D&RGW) ran on the Overland Route between Denver and Ogden, and that was always UP. So strictly speaking NO Amtrak service on UP pre-merger is incorrect. Any of the trains that are running today AFAICT did not run on UP back then unless you consider the California Zephyr to be a latter day incarnation of the San Francisco Zephyr.
The SFZ ran via the UP Overland Route from Amtrak's inception in 1971 until 1983, when the D&RGW finally signed an Amtrak contract. The Desert Wind and Pioneer both ran on UP from their start in the early 1980s until their discontinuance in 1997. The pre-merger UP hosted their share of Amtrak trains. My recollection is they ran all these trains well at the time. No horrendous delays, reasonably good dispatching. One strong memory is that UP's track in that era was superb, the UP sections always had a notably smooth ride.

SP in the years immediately before the UP merger was not particularly hostile to Amtrak, and ran Amtrak's trains pretty well, after some dust-ups in the 70's and early 80's. The real UP management change came in the previous big "Mop up" (MoPac, UP, WP) merger in the early 80's, when the Missouri Pacific management wound up dominating the merged UP. The MoPac management WAS somewhat hostile to Amtrak, and the pre-merger MoPac had NOT hosted much in the way of Amtrak services (the "Inter-American"/"Texas Eagle" and the Mules were the exceptions, and those were late additions, not in the original system). But UP still ran their Amtrak services pretty well after the Mop Up merger, even so.

UP's horrible handling of Amtrak is a relatively recent phenomenom. It really started happening during and after the post-merger meltdown when a lot of the former SP basically froze up when UP imposed some of their operating practices on a former SP system that had been operating on spit and bailing wire for some time. For some reason, when they recovered from that debacle, their Amtrak handling never did.

Actually, UP still hasn't recovered from that debacle. That's one of the reasons Warren Buffet gave for aquiring BNSF instead of UP. And before we let BNSF off the hook, I believe they want 450 million dollars for an extended Heartland Flyer. And they're supposed to be a supportive railroad.

And before we let BNSF off the hook, I believe they want 450 million dollars for an extended Heartland Flyer. And they're supposed to be a supportive railroad.
Supportive? Really? I thought they were merely non-combative.
BNSF does, for the most part, run their trains on time on the former Santa Fe trackage, although that hasn't been the truth lately with speed downgrades on the Kansas lines. The California Zephyr and Empire Builder haven't been as much on time, although in the case of the CZ I think much of the blame goes to Uncle Pete for turning the train over to BN late in Denver.

Back to the earlier question about UP hating passenger trains... When I was much younger in the 70's, it seemed like UP did do a decent job running Amtrak trains over the system. However, their commitment to maintaining their stations and other passenger infrastructure wasn't so hot, as they were perfectly willing to tear down or displace Amtrak stations with minimal notice. I'll defer to others on the board, but it seems to me like the merger with Missouri Pacific undermined what goodwill there was towards Amtrak, as MP historically hated passenger trains. But then again UP has always been a cocky operation, with a management team that saw themselves as "special", even when their performance didn't justify the self-love. Witness the meltdown in SP operations, where management blew off the wisdom of SP managers who knew how to operate their aging / overutilized system, and in the process froze up the whole southwestern rail map.

I'll be curious to see how things unfold, but I think at some point if the government is going to make high speed rail work, it'll need to do some major eminent domain suits to gain control of real estate, and I wouldn't even rule out some moves to take select right of way then resell to more cooperative carriers. I'd bet that the very restrictive FRA guidelines for government investment in passenger rail infrastructure were driven in large part by anticipating how UP would take the money then forget to run the trains as committed.

UP has already shown that they don't want to challenge Amtrak in court. When confronted with a very stern letter regarding the many slow orders on the tracks used by the CZ & the CS a few years back that threatened legal action, and before the new remedies, UP showed up at the table to talk with Amtrak and a deal was worked out. That deal included putting in some temporary padding to help keep the CZ on time while they fixed the tracks. Over a period of 2 or 3 years, that padding was gradually removed and I believe that it is now fully out of the current TT, although I won't swear to that.
I thought sure that track work would be finished by now; but the the following comes from the current CZ timetable:

California Zephyr schedules may change due to ongoing Union Pacific Railroad track work. Contact Amtrak for updated schedule information.

I've always said, there's the nuclear option for Amtrak if a railroad is really uncooperative, California could always commit to Amtrak running their trains in exchange for Amtrak excersizing emminent domain on UP ROW. Amtrak should take advantage of that option when positioning themselves to run high speed operations, since states can't seize railroad property.

although in the case of the CZ I think much of the blame goes to Uncle Pete for turning the train over to BN late in Denver.
Actually, in the case of the Zephyr, most of the blame goes to the fact that, during the worst point in the summer, BNSF had as much as 90 minutes worth of slow orders on the route through Iowa and Nebraska. UP has actually been running their part of the train pretty much on time.

When I said no Amtrak trains on UP, I meant currently. I am well aware of the original use of the Overland route, in fact have been on it in the first year of Amtrak.. the speed limit was 90 mph at the time. Ditto that the Deser Wind and Pioneer were on UP rails. Notice tha they are all gone now.

Agreee that MoPac was very anti-passenger. Note the current Eagle. It ottk leagal action or the threat thereof to get MoPac to run the train any faster than their freight speed limits when it first got started. Also, the pre Amtrak version would likely have lasted to Amtrak if MoPac had had a more positive attitude toward passengers in the 1960's. It was an impressively long train in the late 50's early 60's. Sometime in here they began the death by a thousand cuts process

When I said no Amtrak trains on UP, I meant currently. I am well aware of the original use of the Overland route, in fact have been on it in the first year of Amtrak.. the speed limit was 90 mph at the time. Ditto that the Deser Wind and Pioneer were on UP rails. Notice tha they are all gone now.

Agreee that MoPac was very anti-passenger. Note the current Eagle. It ottk leagal action or the threat thereof to get MoPac to run the train any faster than their freight speed limits when it first got started. Also, the pre Amtrak version would likely have lasted to Amtrak if MoPac had had a more positive attitude toward passengers in the 1960's. It was an impressively long train in the late 50's early 60's. Sometime in here they began the death by a thousand cuts process
Actually George my memory of MoPac is just the opposite. They remained very pro-passenger into the 60's, only giving up when it was obvious the hand writing was on the wall. The exact opposite of the SP for instance.

And before we let BNSF off the hook, I believe they want 450 million dollars for an extended Heartland Flyer. And they're supposed to be a supportive railroad.
But that's for a line that currently doesn't see passenger service and for a line that may or may not have needed PTC to be installed if Amtrak doesn't run there.

Additionally, that $450M isn't all going to BNSF. That amount includes money for stations and it includes money for the cars that will need to be brought for the service.

It's also important to note that amount is for but one of the 4 plans that were considered. I believe that they've narrowed things down to 2 plans now.

UP has already shown that they don't want to challenge Amtrak in court. When confronted with a very stern letter regarding the many slow orders on the tracks used by the CZ & the CS a few years back that threatened legal action, and before the new remedies, UP showed up at the table to talk with Amtrak and a deal was worked out. That deal included putting in some temporary padding to help keep the CZ on time while they fixed the tracks. Over a period of 2 or 3 years, that padding was gradually removed and I believe that it is now fully out of the current TT, although I won't swear to that.
I thought sure that track work would be finished by now; but the the following comes from the current CZ timetable:

California Zephyr schedules may change due to ongoing Union Pacific Railroad track work. Contact Amtrak for updated schedule information.
Most of the worst sections were indeed fixed back when time was added into the schedule. But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that not every slow section was fixed back then. Even if it were, new problems develop over time, so there will always be track work on any route. And in the case of the CZ, for most of the run that work has to happen in the summer, as laying/fixing track with a foot of snow on it isn't exactly practical.

I've always said, there's the nuclear option for Amtrak if a railroad is really uncooperative, California could always commit to Amtrak running their trains in exchange for Amtrak excersizing emminent domain on UP ROW. Amtrak should take advantage of that option when positioning themselves to run high speed operations, since states can't seize railroad property.
Condemnation is a bad option for Amtrak.

Property acquired through eminent domain is not simply seized in a Fidel Castro sense. The taker in an eminent domain transaction still has to pay the owner for the property. That payment is fair market value, and that would include the value of future lost revenue for the owner. The payment required for completing a condemnation is determined by a legal process, and is not simply a number that the taker makes up. The condemnation several years ago of the Guilford property was of a line that was little used and poorly maintained. The determined property value was not that high. The California lines are well maintained and heavily used. The fair market value to take those lines would be very, very high.

The use of existing railroad property for passenger trains - either Amtrak or future high-speed trains - assumes that the lines will use the freight railroad rights-of-way at a relatively minimal cost. That financial assumption goes out the window if they have to acquire the property through eminent domain and actually pay fair market value for the rights-of-way.

The use of existing railroad property for passenger trains - either Amtrak or future high-speed trains - assumes that the lines will use the freight railroad rights-of-way at a relatively minimal cost. That financial assumption goes out the window if they have to acquire the property through eminent domain and actually pay fair market value for the rights-of-way.
I think that all those in the US who believe that true high speed rail will run on any existing active RoW are smoking something potent. Such has not happened anywhere else. What is it that would make the US different? I believe that the likes of CSX and UP are correct in their protests regarding use of their active RoWs for true HSR.

The issue of using existing RoW for 125mph service is in a gray area that ought to be discussed with a level head, and general rules and best practices for such agreed upon. Given the propensity of freight trains to topple over on certain railroads it would probably stand to reason to keep even 125mph 30' away from such occasional unguided missiles, as has been suggested by at least one of the frequent purveyors of such missiles.

OTOH a disused RoW like the old Petersburg VA to Raleigh NC via Norlina is fair game and could be quite effectively used for an HSR corridor. A similar model could be used on segments where there currently are multiple parallel lines like Buffalo to Cleveland, where the freights could be consolidated into one RoW and the other used exclusively for HSR. Yes, this will require agreement among several freight railroads and will cost more. But Idon't see anything else to be really practical.

I think that all those in the US who believe that true high speed rail will run on any existing active RoW are smoking something potent.
Regardless if it makes sense or not, there is simply no money to build a whole other right of way. Which I suppose may simply mean the US will never have true high speed rail.

Such has not happened anywhere else. What is it that would make the US different?
The same thing that always makes us different. Lots of self-centered politicians from vastly different states all vying for the most pork with the least oversight in a zero-sum budget game. We've somehow managed to build a national government that is virtually guaranteed to be both wasteful and impotent. Within this absurd framework we are forced to rely on the few clunky tools still available to us. Namely, those ancient agreements that allow passenger service to run on freight networks. It's not that we want everything to run on the same rails, we just know nothing better is ever going to come along.

I guess it depends on your definition of "true high-speed rail". From what I can tell, most (if not all) plans for 150-220 mph high-speed rail in this country assumed that, at the very least, dedicated passenger tracks would be built (if not all-new rights of way altogether).

In Europe, there are some examples of fast freight trains operating on the same track as what might be called "higher-speed rail" (US term) passenger trains. SNCF actually has TGV freight trains that carry mail. Some other European railroads have faster freight trains (operating 90 mph or so) mixing in with passenger trains in the 120-130 mph range. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the details, but I attended a railroad operations conference a couple of months ago where an SNCF official described this practice. So, it does happen somewhere in the world.

Of course, I wouldn't assume that this includes 150-car fully-loaded coal trains, or your mixed freight that some US lines see, but it would be possible to have high-priority freight loaded onto freight cars capable of upwards of 100 mph, which would mix reasonably well with passenger trains under 150 mph.

17,000 ton, 8,000 plus foot long manifest or unit trains just don't mix with high speed pax trains. Money talks in this situation and the Class 1's are going to balk every step of the way.Freight equals profits. Pax trains equals headaches and regulation. If you were CEO of a class 1 which way would you go?

17,000 ton, 8,000 plus foot long manifest or unit trains just don't mix with high speed pax trains. Money talks in this situation and the Class 1's are going to balk every step of the way.Freight equals profits. Pax trains equals headaches and regulation. If you were CEO of a class 1 which way would you go?
Totally agree if we're talking high speed rail, over 100mph. Not only would scheduling be a massive challenge, imagine the disaster if a high speed train somehow or other sideswiped a freight train at those speeds. Not a pretty picture. I do think you could share a right of way corridor, however, provided sufficient distance between tracks to prevent problems. The main problem would be if there are businesses served on the side of the ROW which the HSR tracks sit. This could require some extra tracks and signaling, which would be the responsibility of the HSR agency.

However... for conventional passenger rail, I don't think it should be an impossibility to share freight lines with passenger trains. Freight lines do rely on community good will, and for most people, passenger trains are the only visible good thing about railroad lines. Omit those, and all you have is a weedy / trashy right of way, grade crossing delays, and loud horns. It seems to me at least that hosting a daily passenger train could partially offset some of the NIMBY attitudes that exist towards freight railrosds these days.

750 million dollars is nothing. Hell, the federal government pours billions and billions on Houston highway construction, it shouldn't be any problem for them, right?

This country is so backwards when it comes to rail.

The above is one of many reasons why equating our railroad system with that of Europe's when it comes to operating a realtively fast pasenger service on tracks carrying any significant volume of freight is just plain wrong. A few years ago I read a piece of a study done in one European country about running freight trains of 2,000 tons. You have got to be kidding. That issues was passend in this country something like a century ago.

The above is one of many reasons why equating our railroad system with that of Europe's when it comes to operating a realtively fast pasenger service on tracks carrying any significant volume of freight is just plain wrong. A few years ago I read a piece of a study done in one European country about running freight trains of 2,000 tons. You have got to be kidding. That issues was passend in this country something like a century ago.
Yes George, I've seen European through freights that weren't much longer than a holiday section of a 1950's varnish train. One other thing I would like to add; the amount of incentive money for good OTP is chump change for someone like the UP. Delay a UPS hot shot and you've got to refund the entire shipping cost. Money talks while pax rust to the rails !

I guess it depends on your definition of "true high-speed rail". From what I can tell, most (if not all) plans for 150-220 mph high-speed rail in this country assumed that, at the very least, dedicated passenger tracks would be built (if not all-new rights of way altogether).
My definition is 150mph+. And my point is it is unlikely that any such line will be built on existing RoWs that are in active use otherwise.

In Europe, there are some examples of fast freight trains operating on the same track as what might be called "higher-speed rail" (US term) passenger trains. SNCF actually has TGV freight trains that carry mail. Some other European railroads have faster freight trains (operating 90 mph or so) mixing in with passenger trains in the 120-130 mph range. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the details, but I attended a railroad operations conference a couple of months ago where an SNCF official described this practice. So, it does happen somewhere in the world.
Referring to the Le Poste Yellow TGVs as freight trains is misleading. The European freights that run at 90mph are very different and much lighter than freight trains we are talking about in the context of US freight. Of course there is potential for developing a class of freight service at 90 - 125mph which does not exist today, given the availability of higher speed infrastructure. But that has little to do with not causing harm to the currently profitable freight service in the US.

Of course, I wouldn't assume that this includes 150-car fully-loaded coal trains, or your mixed freight that some US lines see, but it would be possible to have high-priority freight loaded onto freight cars capable of upwards of 100 mph, which would mix reasonably well with passenger trains under 150 mph.
True. But the freight railroads have to convince themselves that there is a business case for such and actually step upto it. Alternatively, additional players have to find it attractive enough to step upto it. The current problem is that the freight railroads are not convinced that there is sufficient business for them in that niche to make it worth their while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back