$8,000,000,000 for high speed trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, back on topic, I would suspect the California high speed rail project to link LA and SF would have to be at the top of any ranked list. It's the only project in the nation with an identified, committed source of state funding ($10 billion in bonds approved last November). Also, engineering and environmental work has ben on-going, so it's probably closer to being "shovel-ready" than any other project in the country. Note that I'm talking only about new, purpose-built HSR systems, not incremental improvements to existing freight tracks.
Aloha

beside the Anaheim /Disneyland draw another good reason for the Anaheim route to Vegas is the "Lay of the land" remember the Desert Wind Turned towards Vegas somewhere between Fullerton And Anaheim. Definitely easier to acquire the "right of way

how about from Pontiac MI to Chicago. there was talks to make that whole line 110MPH shaving 2 and half hours off the trip.right now its 95 MPH from Niles mi to battle creak.
That sort of upgrade probably makes a lot of sense for Pontiac to Detroit to Ann Arbor, since it also has the potential to be useful for commuter rail, and if there's ever real HSR connecting to downtown Detroit, some trains could continue to Pontiac after stopping in Detroit (and maybe others could continue to Ann Arbor depending on exactly how the track configuration in downtown Detroit works out).

If we had 110 MPH track from Ann Arbor to Chicago, I'm not sure if that would be used once real HSR is built, but maybe it would be the right way to get to Jackson, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo by train, even if the Ann Arbor / Detroit / Pontiac to Chicago trains switched to a faster route. Though maybe having HSR trains to South Bend which would continue at 110 MPH to Niles, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Jackson, Ann Arbor, etc to Detroit and then back onto the HSR tracks would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mag Lev? Why would it make sense to try and develop a totally different kind of roadway, cars, switches, almost everything? Wouldn't it make much more sense and be infinitely cheaper to add a standard rail route that is upgraded to NEC type speeds. Then it could share all aspects of the system we all ready have in place.

I would be for a train with deluxe services and dining as well as lounges of a upgraded interior to give it a special feel. But do it within the types of equipment that have proven successful for many years.

We really don't need high speed yet, we don't have the infrastructure feeding into it. The only High-Speed project that is even worthy of this money is California High Speed Rail Authority. Its the only proposed project that comes close to serving the kind of markets to make it worth-while. Even for it to work as planned, infrastructure to and from the stations along the line will have to be improved, Commuter Rail, Light Rail, Subways, Buses, Amtrak and all other modes need to feed into it. People need to be able to easily access it from a relatively larger area to give it the passenger volume needed to support High Speed Rail.

The only High-Speed project that is even worthy of this money is California High Speed Rail Authority. Its the only proposed project that comes close to serving the kind of markets to make it worth-while. Even for it to work as planned, infrastructure to and from the stations along the line will have to be improved, Commuter Rail, Light Rail, Subways, Buses, Amtrak and all other modes need to feed into it. People need to be able to easily access it from a relatively larger area to give it the passenger volume needed to support High Speed Rail.
For the major end points, the access is already there.

Los Angeles now has a large network of commuter rail lines and the subway that all serve Los Angeles Union Station, also multiple trains per day to San Diego. The HSR station is supposed to be built above the current station.

San Francisco end is supposed to be in a rebuilt Trans Bay Terminal, and then go down the Peninsula in the same general alignment as the Caltrain commuter service to San Jose. San Francisco is a city where you can get anywhere conveniently by public transportation, plus BART will be at or close to the High Speed line as well. San Jose, which is bigger in population than San Francisco (but don't tell anyone in SF) has a light rail that will get you to their station, plus a pretty good bus system, as well.

Fresno, more or less the halfway point, is supposed to have the HSR and Amtrak in the same or adjacent stations.

Sacramento, which will probably be the first "branch" also has light rail and the proposed station located at or adjacent to Amtrak.

Mag Lev? Why would it make sense to try and develop a totally different kind of roadway, cars, switches, almost everything? Wouldn't it make much more sense and be infinitely cheaper to add a standard rail route that is upgraded to NEC type speeds. Then it could share all aspects of the system we all ready have in place. I would be for a train with deluxe services and dining as well as lounges of a upgraded interior to give it a special feel. But do it within the types of equipment that have proven successful for many years.
When you talk about NEC type speeds, are you talking about the average speed from BOS to WAS (which does a fine job of keeping the airlines importing petroleum on a city pair which is close enough for TGV style trains to be a viable airplane replacement), or are you talking about the top speed the Acela Express achieves for a few minutes of its run?

spend some of the 8 bill and use it to improve the track the wires so the acela can reach 150 on more of its route if not all of it.

We really don't need high speed yet, we don't have the infrastructure feeding into it. The only High-Speed project that is even worthy of this money is California High Speed Rail Authority. Its the only proposed project that comes close to serving the kind of markets to make it worth-while. Even for it to work as planned, infrastructure to and from the stations along the line will have to be improved, Commuter Rail, Light Rail, Subways, Buses, Amtrak and all other modes need to feed into it. People need to be able to easily access it from a relatively larger area to give it the passenger volume needed to support High Speed Rail.
Any commuter rail / light rail / subway / bus service feeding a HSR station is probably going to be carrying 99% of its passengers on purely local trips that have nothing to do with HSR in order to cover enough of a metro area with sufficient frequencies to be usable for connecting to HSR. And there are a number of cities along the NEC that have pretty good local rail networks along those lines already, as do Chicago and San Francisco and probably Albuquerque and probably some others I'm forgetting.

And part of HSR's customer base should come from current airline service. I don't remember ever hearing of someone opting not to catch a plane because there was no light rail available to get to the airport, so why should catching a train where there's no light rail to provide a connection to the train be a problem? I've certainly made a Lake Shore Limited trip where I walked to a subway station, took the subway to Boston's South Station, rode the Lake Shore Limited to South Bend, and then spent two hours in an automobile (or perhaps it was more than that given the weather) once I reached South Bend.

San Francisco end is supposed to be in a rebuilt Trans Bay Terminal, and then go down the Peninsula in the same general alignment as the Caltrain commuter service to San Jose. San Francisco is a city where you can get anywhere conveniently by public transportation, plus BART will be at or close to the High Speed line as well. San Jose, which is bigger in population than San Francisco (but don't tell anyone in SF) has a light rail that will get you to their station, plus a pretty good bus system, as well.
I thought the plan was for the HSR and commuter trains to terminate at Transbay Station, with a bit of a walk to reach BART (possibly via an underground tunnel, but still a bit of a walk).

That page includes the comment:

Designation allows a corridor to receive specially targeted funding for highway-rail grade crossing safety improvements,
That seems to imply that they think at-grade crossings are a viable concept. That limits speed to 110 MPH under current US regulations, half the speed of some real high speed rail systems in other parts of the world.

(And remember, Interstate Highways are fully grade separated, and we have far more miles of them than designated potential 110 MPH rail corridors.)
The "Silver Meteor" line, "Southwest Chief" line, "Coast Starlight" line and either the "Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian" or "Lakeshore Limited" line are already somewhat upgraded for at least 90 mph speed. Those lines could require the least amount to upgrade to 110 mph. That speed for those lines could greatly expedite service on all of AMTRAK's lines by connection with those minimal high-speed routes.

Overnight sleeping car business and miscellaneous travel between the largest cities about 600-800 miles apart could happen on 110 mph lines if scheduled to depart evenings and arrive mornings within those "corridors" along AMTRAK's currently existing long-distance routes. That kind of service would give current hour-long flight travelers a rail option between those cities.

If scheduled similarly, even current, conventional-speed service would offer the same kind of potentially high volume, high revenue-generating overnight and rush hour service between the largest cities every 300-500 miles. It would also allow coach commuter service at least one station or about 40 miles away from those cities at rush hours, instead of the seemingly sporadic, random, unusable times currently offered by many of AMTRAK's trains.

Currently, even someone intently wishing to travel by train has to often chose otherwise because of the need to add another day off from work for travel time at each end for midday departures or arrivals. That, along with other onerous obstacles found on AMTRAK's system not encountered with either driving or fying, such as the ability to take along pets and the fact that the cost of traveling by train multiplies with each additional person traveling in a party such as a family, instead of the cost being divided by the number of passengers per party as with driving, make train travel unattractive. That severely hinders AMTRAK's ridership potential.

At about $1.5 million or more per mile, the $8 billion for high-speed rail along those lines could be the beginning of real, national upgrading to high-speed rail. That would be a real stimulus for transforming us to a green, energy-independent and efficient rail passenger system as well as offering sustainable employment to workers needed for the upgrades.

I thought the plan was for the HSR and commuter trains to terminate at Transbay Station, with a bit of a walk to reach BART (possibly via an underground tunnel, but still a bit of a walk).
Check this out.

California High Speed Rail Authority.

See the interactive map of the route. You can pick San Francisco and see the Transbay Terminal as the start point. Looks like 2-3 blocks to BART.

However, I don't see any populated cities along the Empire Builder route between Minneapolis / St. Paul and the west coast cities to inspire me to propose HSR through those states. (Seattle to Portland to Sacramento to LA to San Diego certainly makes sense, though, as does Minneapolis / St Paul to Chicago via Madison.) I'm not really sure what to do to win support of Maine and New Hampshire, either. Conventional speed, electrified track to Boston with through service on the HSR tracks might be an option there, but I'm not sure if it's really good enough.
There's a note neart the bottom of this page indicating that just over half of the US population lives in the 28 most populated cities, so getting the support of half of the House of Representatives probably requires merely serving some approximation of the 28 most populated metro areas. I think it turns out that those 28 metro areas don't quite span half the states, though.
One thing that I have found frustrating to explain when discussing the topic of improved rail service, is the amount of ignorance among the general public. I was thinking of improving the tracks and signals so that first the existing services get upgraded, on the specific segment of track in question. IN other words improve the signals & track so that when the EB happens to be between Saint Paul and Chicago, it would have an allowed maximum speed of 110 mph, but, west of Saint Paul, the speed limit would reduce to the ones of the appropriate FRA Class. Some folks think of replacing one set of trains with a totally different set, and I am discussing upgrading some segments of the existing service, while leaving others alone.

Currently, even someone intently wishing to travel by train has to often chose otherwise because of the need to add another day off from work for travel time at each end for midday departures or arrivals.
Consider Boston to New Orleans. At 220 MPH, I could depart Boston in the evening and be in New Orleans the next morning. With the current schdule, it's two days and a night.

That, along with other onerous obstacles found on AMTRAK's system not encountered with either driving or fying, such as the ability to take along pets and the fact that the cost of traveling by train multiplies with each additional person traveling in a party such as a family, instead of the cost being divided by the number of passengers per party as with driving, make train travel unattractive. That severely hinders AMTRAK's ridership potential.
These problems are actually relatively easy to fix if Amtrak had sufficient funding to buy more equipment, and then addressed the families traveling with appropriate companion/group fares.

I was thinking of improving the tracks and signals so that first the existing services get upgraded, on the specific segment of track in question. IN other words improve the signals & track so that when the EB happens to be between Saint Paul and Chicago, it would have an allowed maximum speed of 110 mph, but, west of Saint Paul, the speed limit would reduce to the ones of the appropriate FRA Class. Some folks think of replacing one set of trains with a totally different set, and I am discussing upgrading some segments of the existing service, while leaving others alone.
If you do that, are you going to shave more than a half hour off the travel time from Chicago to Minneapolis? And will that have any substantial impact on ridership?

News reports say Congress specified 150 MPH + for high speed. If so, they mean the real McCoy.

Cal is a good project, but I'm skeptical that the feds could work through the siting issues at the state level to build the thing expeditiously. Those Californians will fool you, though.

They seem to mill around aimlessly until they decide to do something, then they do it.

Its by no means the only project, though. I can think of a half dozen off the top of my head. My vote would go for Atlanta to Charlotte via Spartanburg SC. The Chamber of Commerce types along that route wouldn't have to be asked twice if they want it, I guarantee you that.

The FRA map is obsolete, having been made in 2005. Its kind of inexplicable too. No service for Houston? A Vancouver to Eugene Oregon route? A gap between Orlando and Jacksonville? I think the map anticipates Acela type speeds which would allow at grade crossings.

If the increased visibility of rail proves popular, perhaps some supplemental funding for these intermediate type projects you all describe could be provided.

I was thinking of improving the tracks and signals so that first the existing services get upgraded, on the specific segment of track in question. IN other words improve the signals & track so that when the EB happens to be between Saint Paul and Chicago, it would have an allowed maximum speed of 110 mph, but, west of Saint Paul, the speed limit would reduce to the ones of the appropriate FRA Class. Some folks think of replacing one set of trains with a totally different set, and I am discussing upgrading some segments of the existing service, while leaving others alone.
If you do that, are you going to shave more than a half hour off the travel time from Chicago to Minneapolis? And will that have any substantial impact on ridership?
To answer both questions, I think so. I also think if you then added more service it would increase ridership as well. West of Saint Paul, however, there may not be the market large enough to justify increased service.

Also to answer birdy. above, I think the map was simply to show and display where initiatives have been started over the past two decades since the passing of ISTEA. It shows that doing things on a state by state basis means little to no thought toward connecting to cities that are across state lines.

Currently, even someone intently wishing to travel by train has to often chose otherwise because of the need to add another day off from work for travel time at each end for midday departures or arrivals.
Consider Boston to New Orleans. At 220 MPH, I could depart Boston in the evening and be in New Orleans the next morning. With the current schdule, it's two days and a night.

That, along with other onerous obstacles found on AMTRAK's system not encountered with either driving or fying, such as the ability to take along pets and the fact that the cost of traveling by train multiplies with each additional person traveling in a party such as a family, instead of the cost being divided by the number of passengers per party as with driving, make train travel unattractive. That severely hinders AMTRAK's ridership potential.
These problems are actually relatively easy to fix if Amtrak had sufficient funding to buy more equipment, and then addressed the families traveling with appropriate companion/group fares.
I agree. The trip between Boston and New Orleans could be only 36 hours (two nights with only one day in between-- effectively, only one "day") with current, conventional speed if trains departed origins in the evening and the largest cities every twelve hours apart, arriving at destinations in the mornings.

That could poise AMTRAK to become a high-volume, high-ridership, high-revenue national business and commuter rail service. With the potential revenue from the current rush hour and hour-long flight traffic, AMTRAK could certainly have the revenue to afford its own equipment purchases (and leases, which it would need in the short term with such high traffic volume), even at $3 per coach seat for each station passed, $12 per roomette and $24 per bedroom for each station passed.

I'm waiting for AMTRAK to resolve the other issues.

Mag Lev? Why would it make sense to try and develop a totally different kind of roadway, cars, switches, almost everything? Wouldn't it make much more sense and be infinitely cheaper to add a standard rail route that is upgraded to NEC type speeds. Then it could share all aspects of the system we all ready have in place. I would be for a train with deluxe services and dining as well as lounges of a upgraded interior to give it a special feel. But do it within the types of equipment that have proven successful for many years.
When you talk about NEC type speeds, are you talking about the average speed from BOS to WAS (which does a fine job of keeping the airlines importing petroleum on a city pair which is close enough for TGV style trains to be a viable airplane replacement), or are you talking about the top speed the Acela Express achieves for a few minutes of its run?
I was referring to the Acela at top speed which as I recall from my one ride, wasn't long.

What happened to the Soak the passenger for all Amtrak can shake out of your pockets.. If its good enough for sleeper it should be good enough for all. I agree, in the old days you always got half price for the spouse and similar or less for other children on the trip. But the gouge the customer concept has been supported even here and that is the way business is done now. I also feel that more cars at more reasonable rates is what is needed to really made rail a viable option. It needs to be offered to all however and not a few.

I agree. The trip between Boston and New Orleans could be only 36 hours (two nights with only one day in between-- effectively, only one "day") with current, conventional speed if trains departed origins in the evening and the largest cities every twelve hours apart, arriving at destinations in the mornings.

That could poise AMTRAK to become a high-volume, high-ridership, high-revenue national business and commuter rail service. With the potential revenue from the current rush hour and hour-long flight traffic, AMTRAK could certainly have the revenue to afford its own equipment purchases (and leases, which it would need in the short term with such high traffic volume), even at $3 per coach seat for each station passed, $12 per roomette and $24 per bedroom for each station passed.

I'm waiting for AMTRAK to resolve the other issues.
The problem here has also been touched in comments previously. The scheduling of trains is such that where you used to board a train in early evening and arrive in time for a days work or leisure have mostly been converted to times that strictly are designed to keep a limited amount of trains connecting in some sort of order. That forces really late departures from Chicago due to late arriving trains to end up getting to NY city mid to late next day, where as they used to be mid to late afternoon departures with early arrival in NY which of course would make the most sense. But trains are not scheduled for the convenience of the passenger only the railroad. Combined with constant slow orders or delays, and few trains running, a timely system is close to impossible to institute. When the individual rail roads ran them they catered to the needs and times the passengers needed instead of when the latest arriving train made it in.

Of course all that would be greatly improved it there were multiple departures on major lines so that no one needed to be stuck overnight anywhere since there would be more than one train a day in each direction.

The thing you're agreeing with is not the thing I said. There's no good reason why I shouldn't be able to make a BOS to New Orleans (or for that matter, Boston to Los Angeles) sleeper trip in about 12 hours. If sleeper trips are a great idea, we shouldn't be limiting their distance to city pairs within 800-1000 miles when this country is as large as it is.

What happened to the Soak the passenger for all Amtrak can shake out of your pockets.. If its good enough for sleeper it should be good enough for all. I agree, in the old days you always got half price for the spouse and similar or less for other children on the trip. But the gouge the customer concept has been supported even here and that is the way business is done now. I also feel that more cars at more reasonable rates is what is needed to really made rail a viable option. It needs to be offered to all however and not a few.
I think a lot of the support you see here for Amtrak charging the highest fares they can get away with is based on the assumption that they're stuck with only the equipment they already have (which basically is going to be the case for a few more years no matter how much Congress becomes willing to give Amtrak money). Notice how I talk about giving Amtrak money for more equipment first, before lowering fares.

If we're serious about energy independence and the environment, we need to make sure in the long run that people don't have financial disincentives to choosing the mode of transportation that best meets those goals. And while gas taxes are theoretically another option here, probably at somewhere around $3/gallon in taxes alone, I think politcally, subsidizing electrified rail travel will be much easier.

Well, remember, train has a built in incentive to offer attractive pricing since the marginal cost of an additional customer is so low for them. With powerful competition from private cars and airlines, there's little reason to fear gouging. Acela just cut fares, but its not because they are bleeding hearts.

Well, remember, train has a built in incentive to offer attractive pricing since the marginal cost of an additional customer is so low for them.
That doesn't seem to be the thinking of Amtrak's management, where even refurbishing an Amfleet coach so that it can be used again is percieved as unimaginably expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back