94 Broke Down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdj

Train Attendant
Today I saw 94 go through the Hermitage Road crossing in Richmond with two CSX locomotives in the lead pulling the Amtrak locomotive. It was approaching 1200. The engine must have died between NPN and RVR. I hope they still had power for the AC as it was in the 90's at the time.

Gary

When the engine dies, so does the AC. :ph34r: Happened last year on a train forget the number I wanna say 161 somewhere in NY state when the HHP's computer's shut down due to the heat. An AEM-7 had to replace the shut down unit.

When the engine dies, so does the AC. :ph34r: Happened last year on a train forget the number I wanna say 161 somewhere in NY state when the HHP's computer's shut down due to the heat. An AEM-7 had to replace the shut down unit.
In Richmond, this would have been a diesel locomotive, presumably a P-42. The HEP power might have been working while the main engine was not. Hope so, because it would have been a long hot ride to RVR or wherever Amtrak would meet it with a relief locomotive.

The past several months have not been kind to Amtrak's electric or diesel locomotives. The July and August heat may well send some more locos to the shop.

In Richmond, this would have been a diesel locomotive, presumably a P-42. The HEP power might have been working while the main engine was not. Hope so, because it would have been a long hot ride to RVR or wherever Amtrak would meet it with a relief locomotive.

The past several months have not been kind to Amtrak's electric or diesel locomotives. The July and August heat may well send some more locos to the shop.
I'm completely aware of that. I was using that as an example of what could happen in electrified territory. But notice my first sentence is "when the engine dies, so does the AC." On P42's P40's and P32DM's the HEP comes from the prime mover. So when the prime mover shut's down the HEP shuts down leading to the AC shutting off! :ph34r:

You are correct. It was a P42. I walked outside my office and heard the train approaching Hermitage Road. I knew by the sound it was a freight. There is a gap in the bushes which allows me to see the track. When I saw the lead locomotive, I almost walked off thinking it was another freight heading up to Acca Yard. As the two CSX units passed, there was the P42 with the rest of the consist behind.

Gary

It ain't going to get any better especially with the Genesis units starting to show signs of early Alzheimer's. You can only roll the dice so many times with a one unit train before you shoot ***** :cool:

There have been cases where the traction motors failed, but the prime mover was ok so HEP could remain working.

But doesn't the engineer have to be in control of HEP? How does that work when you have a freight engine up front, or could the HEP be mechanically working, but due to the regulation, not able to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is theoretically possible for the train to still run, but need a freight engine for traction. What if it's the air compressor that dies? Train can't move, but there's absolutely no issue with the HEP. Let's say that was the case in this scenario. No matter what the Engineer must either A: have full control of all engines in his consist at all times (unless it's dead in tow, but that's a whole separate issue) B: if that's not feasible someone must ride in that engine for the duration of the trip to ensure the engine brakes are not applied. So if this lash up is two CSX motors followed by the P-42 all you need to do is set up the P-42 with MU cables, put it into trail mode, and off you go. The Engineer does not necessarily have to have the ability to kill the HEP from the lead motor. In fact, many times HEP is run from the trailer, not the leader.

From talking to Amtrak crews it seems the computers are burning up on a lot of the Genesis units. Unless we have a spare one laying around the engine has to be drug to a shop that may be a 1,000 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any info about today's train 94 (Friday, July 22)? My elderly mother is on it, and she left me a message saying the train broke down and she's waiting on a bench. But she didn't say where she is waiting, and when I called Amtrak, it had not record of 94 breaking down today.

Anyone have any info about today's train 94 (Friday, July 22)? My elderly mother is on it, and she left me a message saying the train broke down and she's waiting on a bench. But she didn't say where she is waiting, and when I called Amtrak, it had not record of 94 breaking down today.
Amtrak status maps show it departed Philadelphia 0605, 2 hours 8 minutes late.

Gary

so toaster was pulling a hippo ... hmmm :help:
Last July! A Metro North unit pulled the hampered train to SSYD and then Toaster 918 pulled it into NYP and through to WAS. See

video. It surely is a great catch!

so toaster was pulling a hippo ... hmmm :help:
Maybe it just popped out a trail of breadcrumbs for the hippo to follow? :giggle:

I didn't even get a picture of it, much less a video, but my favorite Metro North scene was an old FL-9 pulling a stranded Acela trainset into Stamford once. It was a southbound Acela that had pulled down the wires and killed its pantograph. I was on a northbound Acela but didn't have enough time to grab the camera.

Back