A Better Track-A-Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious for any technical details: where the data feed comes from and it's format, how you massage that onto the map, etc.

I'm curious for any technical details: where the data feed comes from and it's format, how you massage that onto the map, etc.

The data feed can be located using the Developer Tools of any modern web browser on the Amtrak version and finding the URL.

Plotting the points on the map is just the same as any other Google Maps API-based application.

Very nice. You might consider rounding the train speed to the nearest mph. The GPS units on these trains cannot possibly be accurate to four significant digits.

Very nice. You might consider rounding the train speed to the nearest mph. The GPS units on these trains cannot possibly be accurate to four significant digits.
You mean like Acela running 128.9? That sounds completely within the realm of a commercial GPS unit. Or maybe I'm missing whatever you're seeing.

Any time you see something like G/TMO/D09/P2, it is reference to basically a daily log in Arrow of unusual happenings across the Amtrak system. G/TMO/ is always the same. Dxx refers to the day of the month and Pxx refers to the page (or pages if Pxx-Pxx) within that day's log. The Consolidated National Operations Center (CNOC) will typically update the log file when unusual occurrences happen, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back