A Couple of Baggage Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjh2

Train Attendant
I am flying out to Ronald Reagan-National Airport in Washington, DC and renting a car. I am going to see a friend for a few days and then return the car to the airport and catch the Metro to take me to Union Station where I will board the Capitol Limited and then the Southwest Chief at Chicago. I will be getting off in Kansas City. I have taken this route before and have only taken one bag while my parents drove and had my suit case. Anyways, this time I will have two bags, one rather large roller and a backpack for overnight.

I will be using Club Acela in Washington, DC and the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.

I have left my bag in Chicago and went saw the sights before in Chicago and picked it up when I returned to board the other train. Does Club Acela allow me to leave my bags in there and leave to sight see around town?

Also, I am on the fence regarding storing the second bag (luggage rack in the sleeping car or checked in the baggage car). Will my second bag be transferred from the Capitol Limited to the Southwest Chief or do I have to transfer it myself?

Club Acela has an unmanned, but safe, place to store your bags while you explore DC

If you check your bag to Kansas City, they will transfer the bag from one train to the other.

If you choose to check your bag, it will be transferred to the SWC for you at Chicago.

Remember if you check your bag you can not access the bag until your destination. If that is ok, by checking your bag, you don't have to worry about it the entire trip which would free you up to do what ever you want.

As was said, the baggage left at the club acela is not guarded. That said, I've never had a problem.

There is a "left luggage" service at gate A that charges ridiculously high hourly rates and I just saw a sign recently that says that you can leave luggage at the ticket counter (presumably where one checks baggage) for a more reasonable rate of about $6 per piece per 24 hour period.

On the Capitol Limited and Southwest Chief, there is a large luggage storage area on the lower level of the car, if you do not wish to check the bag(s). This way, you can access them at any time during your trip! And you can store them at the lounges in Washington and Chicago without charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am flying out to Ronald Reagan-National Airport in Washington, DC and renting a car. I am going to see a friend for a few days and then return the car to the airport and catch the Metro to take me to Union Station where I will board the Capitol Limited and then the Southwest Chief at Chicago.
Anyone traveling to DC and planning to use the Metro in the next 10 months needs to be aware of the SafeTrack track work blitz which will be disrupting service or causing delays due to single tracking on changing segments and lines in the system. WMATA current SafeTrack schedule for the big service disruptions. It will be a long 10 months.

The Blue and Yellow Line south of Reagan National Airport from the airport station to Braddock road will be closed from July 6 to 11. Anyone arriving at National airport and heading towards DC will be ok as the airport station will be open with the BL/YL lines trains turning around there. However, from July 12 to 18 the Metro will be shut down between Pentagon City and National Airport. There will be shuttle buses from the airport to Pentagon City, but they could be slow. Should also note that anyone staying in Alexandria during one of the 2 BL/YL segment shutdowns that the Metroway BRT line, which recently opened part of its northern segment of dedicated transit lanes, runs between the Braddock Rd, Crystal City, Pentagon City metro stops. It will offer an alternative route around the closed Metro segments.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind.

afigg,

Thank you so much for the heads up regarding the Metro disruptions. I will download the app and use it with diligence when I'm there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would point out that while the baggage storage area at Club Acela at WAS Union Station is unattended (and has AYOR disclaimer signs), it's not like one is parking bags in an alcove somewhere in the station. Access to Club Acela is upon entrant request (unlike Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge) and is staffed at all open hours. I've also noted that the desk attendant is pretty good with remembering who comes and goes so it's unlikely unauthorized personnel would be able to randomly rifle through the baggage hold area. Still, even though I--as with others--have not ever had a problem, I would bury any electronic items left deep in regular luggage, as opposed to keeping them in a laptop bag or something that advertises something of value could be inside.

I had my laptop, BT speaker, BT headphones, and about $900 of electronics in a bag that I locked with a very small $8 padlock from Marshalls, and No one even touched my computer/electronics bag in the Club Acela Lounge in WAS.

My bags are always locked with a small inexpensive lock so a quick search is not possible, though never felt there was cause to worry. This is just a practice I follow from decades of travel rail and air.

try cable ties, cheaper than a lock,,, very discouraging,,, just bring something to snip them with
That's a good idea; I usually use combination locks, but I used a regular keyed lock on a bag a few years ago and had the only keys in a travel folio which I inadvertently left at a hotel front desk upon checkout. Naturally, I was unable to recover the folio and thus the lock needed to be cut when the luggage arrived home. Needless to say, I don't use keyed locks anymore and wished I had just used a cable tie instead (if I had thought of if, of course).

Personally if I were a thief looking for some "quick cash" and I saw 2 bags - one with cable ties (and possibly hiding some valuables) and an unsecured bag - which would I be more likely to "examine"? :huh: (Especially if I had something to cut the ties with.)

I never lock my bags while in storage or on the train in coach (like to the seat or luggage rack). As I see it, you're just advertising the fact that the bag contains something valuable. So a thief may "go the extra mile" to see what it is!

That said, I have never had a problem with luggage at the CA in WAS. The CA has controlled access (via a locked door) - and most of the passengers are "important people". (Like us! :giggle: )

Personally if I were a thief looking for some "quick cash" and I saw 2 bags - one with cable ties (and possibly hiding some valuables) and an unsecured bag - which would I be more likely to "examine"? :huh: (Especially if I had something to cut the ties with.)

I never lock my bags while in storage or on the train in coach (like to the seat or luggage rack). As I see it, you're just advertising the fact that the bag contains something valuable. So a thief may "go the extra mile" to see what it is!

That said, I have never had a problem with luggage at the CA in WAS. The CA has controlled access (via a locked door) - and most of the passengers are "important people". (Like us! :giggle: )
Not sure I'd trust "important people". They seem to be the biggest thieves and liars. :eek:

While that's certainly one way of looking at it; personally I'd much rather know if someone was rifling through my luggage, even if it meant a cut lock or missing cable tie. I tend to be scatterbrained enough when traveling and it's frustrating enough to not be able to find something due to my own negligence, but it would be worse thinking that someone else might be responsible yet not being able to prove that.

That said, the locks I use are generally pretty discreet and always black in color. I would never use some of the neon colored ones I see for sale. Likewise, I don't use zebra print luggage or anything else that stands out. I believe part of reducing the amount of unfortunate travel experiences involves being as inconspicuous as possible and blending in as much as possible. I've never understood people who travel with high-end designer luggage or expensive jewelry. Even if I were a billionaire I would travel with the same kind of luggage I do now (I just might update it more frequently and not worry about repairing some of the snags and holes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back