A Dozen Hours (Give or Take) in Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
Back when I left my last church I was presented with a rather generous gift certificate for Amtrak. I think it expires in March 2011 and I want to take advantage of it. One option is the Crescent from PHL to ATL, arriving in the morning, and doing a turnaround on the evening train.

Any suggestions as to how to spend 12 hours in Atlanta? I've turned up Underground Atlanta and Stone Mountain, but maybe there are some better options.

Back when I left my last church I was presented with a rather generous gift certificate for Amtrak. I think it expires in March 2011 and I want to take advantage of it. One option is the Crescent from PHL to ATL, arriving in the morning, and doing a turnaround on the evening train.

Any suggestions as to how to spend 12 hours in Atlanta? I've turned up Underground Atlanta and Stone Mountain, but maybe there are some better options.
A couple of our members live in the Atlanta area(Bill H and Matt W.come to mind0,perhaps you can PM them for reccos!

Nice overnite trip Pastor Dave! Jim

back in 2002 or 2003 I did the Atl turn around on the Crescent with my niece. We walked a mile or so to the MARTA station, took that in to downtown where we toured CNN, the World of Coke and Turner Field and had a nice lunch at the Varsity. There is plenty of things to do there so don't fret it, its a great city.

I had some free time in Atlanta last May and toured the World of Coke.

I found it interesting and fun. I was able to take a bus from the

Amtrak station downtown. I wanted to have lunch at the Varsity but

ran out of time. Have a good trip.

Bad news first, you need a car to get to Stone Mtn and to explore it while there.

Marta bus goes to Stone Mt Village but that is not the same thing.

Marta operates both the bus and the train.

From the Amtrak station you can take the 110 Marta bus northbound, across the street, sign says to Buckhead or Lenox Square in case you are interested in shopping at either Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza.

Or, on the same side of the street as the train station, take Marta bus 110 southbound--sign says either downtown or arts center. At the arts center you can change to the southbound train to downtown to the items like the Georgia Aquariam (advertised as being "the largest in the world"), World of Coke,Underground Atlanta, CNN, Turner Field,Centienniel Park, etc.

I, too, like the Varsity. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from Underground, unless you like getting shot or terminally panhandled.
laugh.gif
I would recommend World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium, or CNN. All three are within a couple of blocks and are in the Centennial Olympic Park area. The Varsity is definitely worth a stop into as well. It's no Morton's but definitely a neat place to go.

Stay away from Underground, unless you like getting shot or terminally panhandled.
laugh.gif
I would recommend World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium, or CNN. All three are within a couple of blocks and are in the Centennial Olympic Park area. The Varsity is definitely worth a stop into as well. It's no Morton's but definitely a neat place to go.

You are right Battalion, probably best to nix Underground. Hate to admit that, they keep tryng to clean it up. About the Varsity, be sure to read up about it, because one goes there as much for the unusual atmosphere as much as for the food. Think college crowd.

*Actually - if it were me, I would take the Meteor to Savannah, GA, rather than the Crescent to Atlanta. Same schedule, but so much history in Savannah, and what a place to see. It's a great city to tour, wonderful old homes, etc. We go there and rent bikes, a great way to see the historic area.

Or, if you are indeed just using a gift certificate, why not consider taking the Capital Limited to Chicago (Phl - DC - CHI) and return back to PHL the same day you arrive (like Atlanta). I would think that there is more to see and do in Chicago (over Atlanta), plus - more daylight scenery, and better scenery too. The Crescent is mostly night riding - when travelling south to ATL from PHL. You arrive in ATL around 8 AM and depart back to PHL at about 8 PM. I just enjoy seeing the scenery, as I ride the train. If you travel to Chicago on a Sunday you could attend Historic Moody Church in downtown Chicago (hear Ewin Lutzer in person). Great ministry. Eat lunch downtown (after church) take a tour of the Loop and Lake Michigan coast.

Another option that I would consider is the Silver Star to Tampa - nice old restored station, great beaches, same day arrival and departure (like Atlanta). You could eat Seafood, maybe swim and head back same day. Plus get a bunch of meals if you go in a sleeping car. It's a nice train, same consist as the Crescent.

Although Atlanta would be nice if you caught a game (baseball or football).

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a dumb question, but when you do something like this, a turn in a city without an overnight, what do you guys generally do with your luggage during the layover?

Depends on the city. In some cities if you're in first class you can leave your luggage at a Metropolitan Lounge/Club Acela for free. In other cities you have to head to the luggage counter and get them to hold it for you. In all cities if you're in coach, you pay per bag. If you're in a sleeper, then some cities will hold them for free while others charge no matter what.

If you're in a city without baggage service, then you're going to carry it with you.

yarrow and i had a day in atlanta between crescents a couple weeks ago. (the crescent, by the way, is a great train in our experience. great equipment, great crew, great food). we went to the matrin luther king, jr historic district and museums. you take the 110 bus (the peach)a block from the station to, i believe,the peachtree center station downtown to connect with light rail and a short ride from there to king memorial station where you have a short walk or bus ride to the area. we visited chicago, new orleans and atlanta on our trip and for both of us the high point was the king district in atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back