A few California questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heading North

Service Attendant
I'm heading to California for the first time from the east coast to go to Yosemite and spend a little time in SF and LA (sadly, I'm flying to LAX--to use up a Continental voucher, so at least I'm getting AGR points), and have a few questions. I tried searching the older posts, but couldn't quite find the answers there. So here goes:

I'm arriving in LAX (the airport) on a Saturday evening around 8:30 pm, and taking the 1:20 am bus/San Joaquin combo from LAUPT up to Merced for the bus to Yosemite. (Not my first choice, but the only option that fit my schedule.) Has anyone taken the night Ambus? Is it actually a Greyhound? And--based on the threads with mixed feelings about LAUPT and the surrounding area--what's it like waiting there at night? Are there places open for dinner, etc., or am I better off getting dinner and hanging out at LAX for a bit before catching the FlyAway bus, to minimize my time at LAUPT? I'm used to train stations at night (waited for 66/67 at NYP multiple times), but I also know that NYP can be the exception for being crowded, safe, and having lots of places open late (including several bars!).

And then, after Yosemite, it's back on the San Joaquin up to the Bay Area. What's the best option for being convenient to BART and/or San Francisco? I know I could get off at EMY and take one of the buses, but is there a more convenient option? (I'm going to get sick of Ambuses pretty quickly.) I haven't figured out where I'm staying yet, but will likely check hotels.com for something in SF itself.

I haven't decided if I'm going to take the Coast Starlight back to LA yet or not, but if I do, and assuming it's running on time, is there a stop in the Bay Area where I'd still be able to get breakfast on the train? (I'm likely to splurge for the $99 roommette deal I saw yesterday.)

Thanks so much in advance--this forum can be a lifesaver!

The only one of your questions that I can answer with any certainty is the one about BART to SF. For that your best bet is Richmond as BART and the CC, SJ share a station (lines connected by tunnel). However, the Richmond-Daly City line doesn't run on Sundays or holidays so keep that in mind.

http://www.bart.gov/schedules/byline.aspx

The only one of your questions that I can answer with any certainty is the one about BART to SF. For that your best bet is Richmond as BART and the CC, SJ share a station (lines connected by tunnel). However, the Richmond-Daly City line doesn't run on Sundays or holidays so keep that in mind.
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/byline.aspx
Yeah, I was going to suggest Richmond too if you specifically want BART. If you're just trying to get to SF, the Ambus from EMY really is the easiest way. The bus will be right there when you get off the train and it's a pretty quick drive over the Bay Bridge. I've only ridden that particular Ambus route once, but it wasn't crowded at all because only the people connecting from your train to SF will be on it.

For your other question, I haven't ridden the Ambus from LAX-BFD yet, but I know it won't be a Greyhound. California state law prohibits the sale of an Ambus ticket without a connecting train segment, which keeps the Amtrak California bus system separate from Greyhound.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the San Joaquin cafe cars sell $10 BART tickets for only $8, so be sure to buy your ticket before getting off the train if you do end up taking BART.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm heading to California for the first time from the east coast to go to Yosemite and spend a little time in SF and LA (sadly, I'm flying to LAX--to use up a Continental voucher, so at least I'm getting AGR points), and have a few questions. I tried searching the older posts, but couldn't quite find the answers there. So here goes:
I'm arriving in LAX (the airport) on a Saturday evening around 8:30 pm, and taking the 1:20 am bus/San Joaquin combo from LAUPT up to Merced for the bus to Yosemite. (Not my first choice, but the only option that fit my schedule.) Has anyone taken the night Ambus? Is it actually a Greyhound? And--based on the threads with mixed feelings about LAUPT and the surrounding area--what's it like waiting there at night? Are there places open for dinner, etc., or am I better off getting dinner and hanging out at LAX for a bit before catching the FlyAway bus, to minimize my time at LAUPT? I'm used to train stations at night (waited for 66/67 at NYP multiple times), but I also know that NYP can be the exception for being crowded, safe, and having lots of places open late (including several bars!).

And then, after Yosemite, it's back on the San Joaquin up to the Bay Area. What's the best option for being convenient to BART and/or San Francisco? I know I could get off at EMY and take one of the buses, but is there a more convenient option? (I'm going to get sick of Ambuses pretty quickly.) I haven't figured out where I'm staying yet, but will likely check hotels.com for something in SF itself.

I haven't decided if I'm going to take the Coast Starlight back to LA yet or not, but if I do, and assuming it's running on time, is there a stop in the Bay Area where I'd still be able to get breakfast on the train? (I'm likely to splurge for the $99 roommette deal I saw yesterday.)

Thanks so much in advance--this forum can be a lifesaver!
The bus is a dedicated Amtrak Thruway bus contracted by Amtrak. It is not a Greyhound bus with a code share.

Waiting at Union Station should be fine. It won't be busy or very populated, but there is good security there. However, there are only 2 food options in the station itself (Traxx Restaurant--expensive-- and Union Bagel). I doubt you'd get to the station much before 10, and I don't think they're open that late. I wouldn't wander around the neighborhood at night on foot very much. I've done it a 3 am in the morning walking to the Metro Plaza from a late Coast Starlight, and I don't recommend it. I'd go with eating somewhere around LAX.

As to the Starlight, if the train is on time, you can get on at Emeryville or Oakland and still get breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amtrak motorcoaches are fine for what they are -- buses. They're pretty similar to most tour buses. I don't have any problems riding on them, aside from the fact that I would rather be on a train.

"Richmond-Daly City line doesn't run on Sundays or holidays so keep that in mind."

The Richmond-Daly City BART line doesn't run, but there is still Sunday/Holiday service at Richmond station (via the Fremont-Richmond line). You'll just have to transfer to a San Francisco-bound train (probably at MacArthur station). It's a timed transfer, so you'll usually be able to walk across the platform to the connecting train.

I've done both BART and the EMY bus connection. They're both fine and I would take whichever option works best for your schedule and your destination.

I'm not an expert about LAX or downtown LA around LUS, but my initial impression is that I would rather be at Union Station (or nearby). First, you're at or near your next destination, probably giving you a better sense of your free time before making your connection.

Second, LAX isn't a pretty airport with a lot of amenities -- it's pretty cramped and the services seem to be routine airport fare. I would rather spend my time getting out of there ASAP.

Third, LA is a huge city with lots of options. I don't know how reasonable it is to stop somewhere convenient between LAX and LUS, but it may be an option. It's also worth noting LUS's role as a downtown hub. The Gold Line light rail stops on a LUS train platform and goes to nearby Little Tokyo and Chinatown (and beyond). There are buses and subways as well.

Of course your situation may vary, but there are a lot of opinions for traveling in California. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

One thing you can try is maps.google.com Transit directions. Try searching for a trip from Merced to whatever address in San Francisco on the day you want to travel, and it will give you some choices with the transfer to BART in Richmond along with the exact BART departure and arrival times.

Depending on your destination in San Fran, the EMY-SF bus might be faster. The view going across the Bay Bridge from the is quite good compared to the black void of the BART Transbay Tube. This bus ride is very short compared with the LAX-BFD or YOS-MCD buses.

Some of the Amtrak Thruway buses in California are run by independent contractors, but I've never seen one run by Greyhound.

All LA-Bakersfield buses are dedicated. So, even if it were run by Greyhound (which it isn't), the bus runs only for the train connections.

Although lots of folks think that the best connection to BART to San Francisco is at Richmond, it's really a lot better to take the bus to the financial center (Hyatt) stop, where you can easily get to the Embarcadero BART station. This way, Amtrak is responsible for getting you into the city, and there are a lot more options than BART to get where ever you're going.

I take the Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin to San Francisco several time every year, and I always take the bus. It's a little more time on the train, costs practically nothing, and gives you 100 AGR points, to boot.

I've been wondering something for awhile, and now seems like a good time to ask it as it is pertinent to the original posting: Do the Amtrak Thruway buses have on-board restrooms?

Yes, nearly all Amtrak Thruway buses have a chemical toilet toward the rear of the vehicle. They are very sparse on amenities, but they get the job done.

Since it's Saturday night at LAUS area, there should be dinner available. If there's festival at the Pueblo de Los Angeles (across the street), then there's food. I think most of them will be closed at 10 pm.

The famous Phillipe's will be closed at 10 pm.

The Amtrak bus to San Francisco is pretty painless, and less of a hassle in my opinion than going to Richmond to connect to BART, or waiting for the Emery-go-round to take you to a BART stop-

http://www.emerygoround.com/

Going into San Francisco I usually get off at the first bus stop at some hotel, rather than go to to Ferry Building- saves 5 or 10 minutes and there is a line of cabs at the hotel, and a BART/MUNI streetcar and bus stop a block or two away.

As a fairly regular San Joaquin rider between San Francisco and Fresno: I would not even consider the Richmond transfer to BART unless I was going to a destination that was logically best served by BART. I have also done the late night bus out of LA, but that was about 5 years ago. Not a problem. As some others have said, it is an Amtrak contracted bus that runs strictly LAUS to Bakersfield Amtrak Station. On the night we rode it, they ran multiple buses, either two or three. The transitons are relatively smooth.

The buses out of Emeryville serve multiple destinations in San Francisco. Among them, Pier 39, the Caltrain station, and some stops in between these points.

Don't know what your plans are in SF, but Muni buses, electric buses, streetcars, and LRV's are a good way to get around the city. Muni sells a day pass at a kiosk at Market and Powell.

Thanks, everyone, for the fast and thorough responses--this is extremely helpful. In the end I decided to book the Thruway buses in and out of SF (the Shopping Center stop is near my hotel). I'm not fond of getting on the bus at 7:10 am to catch the Coast Starlight in Oakland closer to 9 am, but the free and guaranteed connections are a good thing, and so was the $99 roommette! (Now I just hope they will still be serving breakfast on the train at that point...)

One other CS question, then: if our estimated arrival in LA is 9 pm, when are they likely to cut off dinner? It seems like dinner may conflict with the really good coastal scenery if the train is on time.

One other CS question, then: if our estimated arrival in LA is 9 pm, when are they likely to cut off dinner? It seems like dinner may conflict with the really good coastal scenery if the train is on time.

I rode the CS southbound last summer. While I don't remember the exact cut-off time for dinner, keep in mind you can have dinner in the Pacific Parlour Car and not worry about missing out on the coastal scenery. The menu for dinner isn't as varied in the PPC as in the diner but it's still good food and you can enjoy the scenery of the coast at the same time!

Thanks, everyone, for the fast and thorough responses--this is extremely helpful. In the end I decided to book the Thruway buses in and out of SF (the Shopping Center stop is near my hotel). I'm not fond of getting on the bus at 7:10 am to catch the Coast Starlight in Oakland closer to 9 am, but the free and guaranteed connections are a good thing, and so was the $99 roommette! (Now I just hope they will still be serving breakfast on the train at that point...)
You will have plenty of time for the scenery and dinner. If you're on time leaving San Luis Obispo, you will past the most spectacular scenery at about 5, when the first dinner seating will be called. But in any case, dinner service lasts until at least Santa Barbara. Whether in the diner or the Parlour Car, you will be able to enjoy the scenery. And even between Santa Barbara and Ventura, the scenery is still often spectacular. And you'll be going at the time of year when the sun doesn't completely set until nearly 9 p.m.

So the short answer is: DON"T WORRY!!!!

Just wanted to circle back and thank everyone again for the tips and insight! It was a fantastic trip!

The flight arrived early at LAX (imagine that!) and I did eat and hang around at the airport, which had few options (but more than the station would). In the end, I had about a 45-minute wait for the FlyAway bus anyway, and ended up with about 3 hours to kill at LAUPT, which felt very empty. I had a book, and ended up striking up some conversation in the waiting area. The Bakersfield bus was very comfortable and only about half full, with the exception of a woman behind me on her cell phone (talking to someone at 2 am, oddly). Same goes for the Merced-Yosemite (YARTS) buses. (One tip for future Yosemite travelers: Curry Village is the first arrival point, and first departure point, on the bus. So if you're staying there, you can be the first off, and for the return trip, first on.)

Our San Joaquin arrived right before the California Zephyr into Emeryville, and there were some upset CZ passengers who had to wait for the next SF bus even though ours was only about half-full. I noticed that the SF-Oakland bus to connect to the southbound Coast Starlight had maybe 10 passengers on it, which makes me wonder how efficient the buses are (although I suppose with delays and crowds, it makes sense to have dedicated buses for each train). I was again first-off and first-on in San Francisco (Shopping Center stop), which was nice coming in but a pain coming back (as I had to be on the bus at 7:10 am, even though it looped around downtown and didn't hit the bridge until 8). The bus wasn't bad, but next time I might consider making the Richmond BART transfer or staying somewhere on the east side of the bay.

I absolutely loved the Coast Starlight and the Pacific Parlor Car--my car attendant wasn't particularly active, but Nanette did an outstanding job in the PPC and I decided to have both lunch (macaroni) and dinner (duck) there, as well as the afternoon wine-tasting. What a difference from some of the Eastern trains I'm used to!

One random thought--overall, I liked the California Cars on the San Joaquin, and especially liked the layout and decor of the California Cafe (the breakfast sandwich, not so much). On the early-morning train, I was able to grab a seat in the one Superliner coach up front, which was empty and dark (I was the only one there Bakersfield-Fresno). On the next train, though, I was in one of the California Cars, and couldn't believe the tiny amount of luggage space with the overhead bins. I've never had a problem even bringing roller luggage upstairs in a Superliner coach, but had to keep my backpack at my feet! I really hope future cars don't copy this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back