A few questions for a CZ trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marylee

Train Attendant
My friend and I are going on the CZ from DEN to SFW early this week. It's been a stressful year and we are just looking forward to enjoying a train ride and visiting a city we've never seen. Since we couldn't make our reservations early we are in the transition car 0540 and I've read your discussions and see no problem but I am still a little unsure if there is a shower available in this car,. Also originally we weren't going to check our bags but again because we couldn't make our reservation earlier we have coach seats from DEN to GRA then to our roomette. So I'm wondering if it would be wiser to check the larger bags so we don't have so much to change. I'm figuring it's not a long stop in GRA. If we check our bags would they only go to EMY or would they be put on the SFW bus? Are there red caps in EMY? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I love this site. Thanks

The transition car should be fine. Yes, there are showers in that car and as I recall, more than one of them. If I am not mistaken, you can only check bags to the Temporary Transbay Terminal.

IIRC - GRA is a smoke stop.

Also.

Part of the Train Attendant-Coach (TAC) duties listed in Amtrak's Service Standards Manual is helping coach passengers that are changing accommodation on the train move their luggage.

Page 6-82 of Service Standards Manual #8m) Additional Responsibilities

Passenger Changes Accommodations
• When a passenger changes accommodations during a trip, the Train Attendant in the car from which the passenger is transferring is responsible to assist in carrying baggage to the new accommodation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the transition sleeper is next to coaches, most likely a coach attendant will be serving as the transition sleeper attendant in addition to his coach. Since Denver is an extended station stop, I suggest not checking your larger bag and inform the coach attendant in Denver that you will be moving to the transition sleeper in Grandby. In this case I think they should allow and help you store your luggage in the transition sleeper while in Denver assuming there is a luggage rack in the lower level of the transition sleeper. Then hopefully they will allow you to sit in the first coach following the transition sleeper thus you can then just walk through the connecting door to the sleeper at the appropriate time to access your roomette. Don't forget your meals beginning with lunch after Grandby are all included since you are in a sleeper.

My preference is always to check large luggage; but that might be a problem in Denver because the ticket office and baggage room are usually deserted about an hour before departure.

To followup on Tennesee's recommendation, the transition sleeper does have a luggage rack; and it is likely to be more wide open that the regular sleeper's rack. if the coach attendant is not in sight or is otherwise occupied, I would just put the bag in the transition sleeper and head for the nearest coach. I'm sure if you are questioned and explain your itinerary, you won't be hassled. It would be pretty silly of the attendant or conductor to send you and you bag anywhere else.

One TAC is assigned to care for as many as 4 coach cars, up to 150 coach passengers.

Over 150 passengers a 2nd TAC is staffed up to 300 passengers and 4 coach cars.

As PaulM suggests the OP and her friend may be allowed to store their luggage in the Transition sleeper on boarding in DEN.

Of course the TAC will assign you and your friend seats near other coach passengers, if any, getting off at GRA.

That is how TACs minimize the chances of a 'carry-by', or a passenger that does not get off the train at their ticketed end-point.

Is WIP (Fraser/Winter Park) a smoke stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back