A few questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
I have a few random questions--

1) What is the CL's current consist? Are the sleepers on the rear or in front as usual and are they selling 4+ rooms in the Transition Dorm?

2) Are 37000 and 37001 still appearing sporadically?

3) In WAS, does the CL arrive on the lower or upper level? Is it true that track 16 is the only track with a low level platform on the upper?

4) Is Pittsburgh's station located in the historic PRR station or is it an Amshack? Some pictures make it look like it has a historic train shed, while others portray an ugly concrete building.

5) Does the light rail serve the station in PBG?

6) AT which stops on the CL could I expect to be able to step off for a few minutes?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

I'll try to do what I can...

I have a few random questions--
1) What is the CL's current consist? Are the sleepers on the rear or in front as usual and are they selling 4+ rooms in the Transition Dorm?
Heck, this seems to vary by the day. I haven't ridden the train since May, where it was baggage, trans-dorm, 2 sleepers, full diner, sightseer, and three (I think) coaches.

Since then, I think I've heard reports of sleepers on the rear, three coaches, and even an revenue Amfleet coach squashed between the Baggage and Dorm on the front. I *think* rooms are sold if needed in the Dorm, but I'm not certain.

2) Are 37000 and 37001 still appearing sporadically?
Apparently. For all of the splash we had on here when 37000 first hit, lately, I've seen a couple of reportings, but no rider reports. I'd guess someone should be riding this train in the next few weeks who might spot the "new" cars in service.

3) In WAS, does the CL arrive on the lower or upper level? Is it true that track 16 is the only track with a low level platform on the upper?
Track 15 on the Upper Level also is a low platform. The two tracks usually host the outbound #29 Limited, and two MARC trains run on the Brunswick Line that utilize ex-Metra Gallery Cars.

4) Is Pittsburgh's station located in the historic PRR station or is it an Amshack? Some pictures make it look like it has a historic train shed, while others portray an ugly concrete building.
It's Both, if that makes any sense. The Original Penn Station Building is still there on site, as is the trainshed, under which the tracks and platforms can be found. Amtrak's space is however in a basement adjunct that architecturally is similar to your typical Amshack or modern Greyhound Terminal. The original building is some sort of fancy lofts or the like.

Yes, but VERY poorly. At last time I checked, only 2 PM peak trips served Penn Station, which are useless in serving Amtrak's times they call on the station. The Busway runs right in front of the station though, and offers good and frequent service into Downtown to connect with light rail. If you'd rather not - you can walk about 2-3 blocks to the Steel Plaza Station for Light Rail Service.

6) AT which stops on the CL could I expect to be able to step off for a few minutes?
Hmmm, Cumberland (crew change) - Pittsburgh (crew change) - not sure if you're going farther West than that, but you might have a chance at either Toledo or Cleveland, possibly Elkhart.

You know we love questions like this! :)

For the most part, these questions have been answered. I'll amplify a little where it's appropriate.

It's Both, if that makes any sense. The Original Penn Station Building is still there on site, as is the trainshed, under which the tracks and platforms can be found. Amtrak's space is however in a basement adjunct that architecturally is similar to your typical Amshack or modern Greyhound Terminal. The original building is some sort of fancy lofts or the like.
Amtrak's space in Pittsburgh is what was once the PRR baggage area. It's entirely adequate for today's traffic level. Amtrak does, IIRC, have a small amount of office space in what was the PRR's Lines West HQ. Much of the building is condominiums. The renovation took place during the mid-80s, and for a while, the Amtrak station was a steel building in the middle of the trainshed. Finally, all the players put the funding in place, and built the Amtrak station at street level, in the old PRR baggage area, as I mentioned. The downside to this is that safe long-term parking is about five blocks away at $14./day.

Yes, but VERY poorly. At last time I checked, only 2 PM peak trips served Penn Station, which are useless in serving Amtrak's times they call on the station. The Busway runs right in front of the station though, and offers good and frequent service into Downtown to connect with light rail. If you'd rather not - you can walk about 2-3 blocks to the Steel Plaza Station for Light Rail Service.
Sound advice. Trips on "the T" between First Avenue, Steel Plaza, Wood, and Gateway are free. A visit to Station Square will cost you $1.25. IIRC, purchasing a transfer for $0.50 will allow you to make the roundtrip for a total fare of $1.75. The transfer may also be used (one-way) on the incline. You have to ask the operator for one when you get off your bus or LRV. Note that PATransit fares are "pay exit" outbound, and "pay enter" inbound.

Hmmm, Cumberland (crew change) - Pittsburgh (crew change) - not sure if you're going farther West than that, but you might have a chance at either Toledo or Cleveland, possibly Elkhart.
Toledo is a crew change point, and a much better bet for a fresh-air walk than Cleveland.

Also, to clarify re. Q-3, the Capitol tends to arrive where it is optimal to do so, particularly where the greatest connection need is at the particular moment, as the train is often late arriving in DC.

I've taken #30 into DC four times...

First time, we came in a few hours late, and I recall us being spotted on the lower level tracks to make the (then guaranteed) connection with the Silver Star also heading South, as well as a NPN train IIRC.

Second time, we came in on the lower level though I can't recall any specifically tight connection that day. I know I made mine.

Third time, we came in at almost 7:30pm, so we spotted on the Lower Level directly across platform from the Silver Meteor that was awaiting connecting passengers.

Last time, we docked on the upper level 15 track, so WE (personally this time) could hustle over one track to a waiting NB Regional from DC that was held for us to make the connection.

I can't recall the numbers right now, but I do know that there are more tracks than just 15 & 16 on the upper level that have low level plats.

I know that I've boarded a Marc train from a low level plat down around tracks 4 or 5 maybe.

I know that I've boarded a Marc train from a low level plat down around tracks 4 or 5 maybe.
Alan: Unless it was a long time ago, you did not catch a train on tracks 4 or 5 at Washington. Tracks 1 thorugh either 6 or 7 dissapeared with the construction of WMATA in about 1972. The next few tracks up, don't remember exactly how many, are still low platform for the ex-B&O MARC commuter service that runs on CSX lines to Baltimore and Brunswick. George

Alan: Unless it was a long time ago, you did not catch a train on tracks 4 or 5 at Washington. Tracks 1 thorugh either 6 or 7 dissapeared with the construction of WMATA in about 1972. The next few tracks up, don't remember exactly how many, are still low platform for the ex-B&O MARC commuter service that runs on CSX lines to Baltimore and Brunswick. George
Well I did say maybe. ;)

I wasn't really sure of the numbers, I just knew that it was lower than 15 or 16. And it was just a year ago. I thank you for the correction George. :)

back in the days of the dome car equipped cap( boy, do i miss those days!!!), we used to depart on 29 out of 8 and 9 track(both high level) on a regular basis. back to the present, 29's launchpad 99.9% of the time is 16 track. 30 usually splashes down in the lower level if its near on-time as 29 is taking up 16. if its a weekday and 30 is on time, vre trains and southbound trains make lower level kinda hard so 15 track is k towers option. if 30 has any extra cars, 15, short track, is not an option. also, every now and again we still back 30 in, just like the good old days B)

back in the days of the dome car equipped cap( boy, do i miss those days!!!), we used to depart on 29 out of 8 and 9 track(both high level) on a regular basis. back to the present, 29's launchpad 99.9% of the time is 16 track. 30 usually splashes down in the lower level if its near on-time as 29 is taking up 16. if its a weekday and 30 is on time, vre trains and southbound trains make lower level kinda hard so 15 track is k towers option. if 30 has any extra cars, 15, short track, is not an option. also, every now and again we still back 30 in, just like the good old days B)

When they back 30 in, do they Y it over the CSX tracks and then back in via the Camden Line connecting track to Union, or do they Y it on the Y track in the Ivy City yard?

Just curious!

-Rafi

rafi, CSX, we go straight in from QN to F tower and back up from F tower to C tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back