A Great AGR Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I needed to book a trip from Colorado to Yuma, Arizona, using the Southwest Chief and the Sunset Limited, with a roomette on the SWC and an overnight break in Los Angeles on the way back.

The most helpful AGR rep (I believe her name was Deborah) walked me through the choices and made the reservation. And the whole trip is free, although I just used up something like 40,000 points.

I just wanted to say how well the whole experience went and how happy I am that the program exists.

I needed to book a trip from Colorado to Yuma, Arizona, using the Southwest Chief and the Sunset Limited, with a roomette on the SWC and an overnight break in Los Angeles on the way back.

The most helpful AGR rep (I believe her name was Deborah) walked me through the choices and made the reservation. And the whole trip is free, although I just used up something like 40,000 points.

I just wanted to say how well the whole experience went and how happy I am that the program exists.
AGR is unusual in that it requires phone contact for many types of award reservations. I never had a bad experience dealing with an AGR agent. In fact, every experience I've had has been great. Now, I don't ask for anything demanding - just straight point-to-point often without even a single connection - but never one problem. I know that is not everyone's experience, but I'm a satisfied customer.

There are two Amtrak call centers that also handle AGR - Riverside CA and Philadelphia. I've always gotten a Phiily agent (I ask). That must explain it! :p

Yea here too I've never had a bad experience with phone reps! I'm assuming that since I live in PVD my calls get routed to Philly?

Yea here too I've never had a bad experience with phone reps!
I booked a round trip CHI to NOL last Thursday. I wanted to do it as two separate trips, and do each one with AGR. When the agent looked at the price of the trip back she was shocked at how low it was, and she encouraged me to pay for it with my credit card rather than waste the points. She was right. The dollars I spent were less than if I had bought the points (understanding that I can't buy more than 10K points per year, of course!).

Back