A mirage or a Christmas miracle? You tell me.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
So I entered my sleeper for a three day trip on the Empire Builder, the same way I have many times before. At first glance, the Roomette seemed normal enough--familiar blue seats adorned with white head protectors, dark blue curtains that barely cover the windows after a fair amount of adjusting, water bottles and route guides in their proper place astride the pullout table. A very welcome sight after months away from Amtrak, but the USUAL, in other words.

Only this particular Roomette would prove to be anything but.

As a train enthusiast, I can casually dismiss the minor inconveniences that are almost bound to occur on any LD trip, whether it's freight traffic causing an hours late arrival or yet another chapter in the case of the missing Sleeper Car Attendant. So it was only with the slightest hint of irritation that I noted that the Roomette's approximate temperature was apparently set to "Sauna"--the only question was whether I'd have a chance to drink the complimentary water before it evaporated and the plastic bottles melted. Setting my luggage down, I looked towards the climate control gage on the back of the seat. Now, everyone knows that those dials are strictly for decoration and that you'd have better luck affecting the climate in your room by performing a rain dance than actually turning the knob towards "warmer" or "cooler"--as an experienced traveler, I knew this through years of painful experience (losing 10 pounds of water weight traveling on the Texas Eagle cross-country is enough to make a skeptic of anyone). Still, whether by random chance or some subliminal hope that seeing the dial pointed towards "cooler" might psychologically cause me to think that I actually was, I turned the temperature gage to its coldest setting and settled in to work on my laptop in the steamy tropical setting (and believe me when I tell you that So Cal had nothing on this Seattle-bound Roomette in December--it was balmy).

Bu then, a very strange thing happened. When I looked up from my work about an hour later, I realized that it wasn't so warm--in fact, the temperature was comfortable. I pulled out my Kindle and began reading--within the next hour, I found myself reaching for my jacket. It was cold!

I'm not a believer in the supernatural, in magical folklore or leprechauns with overflowing pots of gold at the end of the rainbow... so naturally I dismissed the idea that the climate control knob had actually worked. Surely the SCA had turned down the temperature, or maybe the people getting on and off the train had allowed enough cold air in to cool the Roomette down. Throwing on my jacket, I turned the dial back up to "warmer" without giving it much thought and left for dinner.

Shockingly, though, I returned to a warm room only 45 minutes later. Within another hour, I was again seeing shimmering heat waves and was envisioning cool drinks served poolside. Curious but still unbelieving, I turned the dial back to "cooler" and fell asleep. It was only when I woke up shivering with teeth chattering from the cold that I became convinced that this was no ordinary Roomette: this was a Roomette with a climate control system...that was actually functional. (Cue dramatic music here, if this is ever made into a movie).

I know, I know--it's an unbelievable tale, and even those of you who aren't complete cynics are more likely to buy an alien abduction story than the situation I've just relayed. But dig deep back into your childhood memories when magic seemed real and when all things seemed possible, and ask yourselves: is it possible, no matter how remote the chances, that this man has stumbled upon that rarest of breeds--a working climate control dial on the Amtrak system?

Folks, you may not believe me, but I'm here to tell you: miracles...are...possible. This experience has convinced me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miracles do occur, even on Amtrak! Could it be that lightning has struck twice, and that I could even relate (and confirm!) your tale? Yes, just a year ago while on the CS, both Northbound on the 14 and again Southbound on the 11, I too encountered this rare phenomenon! Working temp dials?! Impossible!!

Dramatics aside, was this a refurb Superliner I you were rewarded with? The temp dials I encountered were on the rebuilt cars, and they worked very well. If you wanted it warm, close the AC vent and turn up the heat! Too hot? Crank it down and open the AC breeze.

Amazing!!

I was on superliners on Zephyr and Starlight just a few weeks ago and the heat controls worked fine. Big change from last spring. The AC vent in the ceiling has a slide that controls cold fresh air flow, though not always very well. The Viewliner controls (Cardinal) worked even better than the Superliner ones, though viewliner ones were a bit touchy. The cars were also all much quieter than last spring. Hardly used any duct tape at all.

I had a similar miracle on the WB Capitol Limited: I was in a refurbished/"remanufactured" car (as I noted elsewhere), and I was able to tweak the dial. EB, I ran into the classic non-working temperature control...but I was able to get a blanket to compensate for the slightly-cool room. Once I was up, I just killed the vent and opened the door every so often to let air circulate as needed, but kept it closed otherwise...I think the whole car was stuck with December air conditioning.

working temp controls ftw!!! I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of having a room with a working one yet!

It was only when I woke up shivering with teeth chattering from the cold that I became convinced that this was no ordinary Roomette: this was a Roomette with a climate control system...that was actually functional. (Cue dramatic music here, if this is ever made into a movie).

I know, I know--it's an unbelievable tale, and even those of you who aren't complete cynics are more likely to buy an alien abduction story than the situation I've just relayed. But dig deep back into your childhood memories when magic seemed real and when all things seemed possible, and ask yourselves: is it possible, no matter how remote the chances, that this man has stumbled upon that rarest of breeds--a working climate control dial on the Amtrak system?

Folks, you may not believe me, but I'm here to tell you: miracles...are...possible. This experience has convinced me.
As Redd Foxx used to say on his TV show "It's the big one, Elizabeth!"

Was on a Crescent northbound earlier this month. NO temperature control. Sleeper Car Attendant had none either, absolutely no heat anywhere in car, hallway, shower, etc. Spent much of trip in coach, or diner. Thank goodness for the extra blanket and voluminous amounts of coffee provided. The poor SCA looked frozen, since he had to open the door and wait for boarding passengers through a very chilly night. Next morning, we had 3 different employees [car attendant, dining attendant, conductor] suggest we call Amtrak to complain about the non-working heat. We had not complained to any of them, but I guess my extra clothing and cold blue fingers gave away how cold I was.

Within 2 hours of getting off train [and before it had reached its destination], I telephoned the 800 number. I had the specific equipment number (I've started recording the equipment numbers each time I board a train], and had to give ticket and reservation numbers. I wasn't complaining about my frigid trip [there WERE spots of snow outside], but instead hoping that some first time rider on the next consist would have a better trip and would love train rides as much as I do. The Amtrak agent was courteous, very respectful, and apologetic.

Amtrak confirmed my mailing address and sent a voucher, which arrived within 10 days. A generous voucher, too.

Seems to me that Amtrak is trying to address the temperature issues in the ways that it can.

Ok, I'm an optimist.

:hi: Nice story, wonder if the Ghost of Christmas past visited your Train?? Ive ridden on lots of trains that were comfortable in the rooms, whether Warm in the Winter or Cool in the Summer, but havent had the experience of being able to actually set the temperature myself! (sometimes the SCAs have been able to adjust the temperature downstairs and make the rooms semi-comfortable but often nothing helps and one takes a sauna or puts on the parka and gloves!) Since my Home Trains are the Texas Eagles, which seem to get the Oldest,Tired Cars in Amtraks fleet,most of the time the rooms, especially the Roomettes, are either way too Hot!, or Freezing Cold!, resulting in stuffing wash rags in the vents, using duct tape and leaving the outside door to the hall open to get air to ciculate! On the Viewliners they have seemed more comfortable, especially the Roomettes, and the controls seem to at least work as compared to the non-functional Superliner controls! Hopefully the rehabs are helping out! I did ride on a TransDorm that had been rehabbed on the CZ and everything worked fine including the toliets,shower, PA and even the temperature controls! :) :) :)

So I entered my sleeper for a three day trip on the Empire Builder, the same way I have many times before. At first glance, the Roomette seemed normal enough--familiar blue seats adorned with white head protectors, dark blue curtains that barely cover the windows after a fair amount of adjusting, water bottles and route guides in their proper place astride the pullout table. A very welcome sight after months away from Amtrak, but the USUAL, in other words.

Only this particular Roomette would prove to be anything but.

As a train enthusiast, I can casually dismiss the minor inconveniences that are almost bound to occur on any LD trip, whether it's freight traffic causing an hours late arrival or yet another chapter in the case of the missing Sleeper Car Attendant. So it was only with the slightest hint of irritation that I noted that the Roomette's approximate temperature was apparently set to "Sauna"--the only question was whether I'd have a chance to drink the complimentary water before it evaporated and the plastic bottles melted. Setting my luggage down, I looked towards the climate control gage on the back of the seat. Now, everyone knows that those dials are strictly for decoration and that you'd have better luck affecting the climate in your room by performing a rain dance than actually turning the knob towards "warmer" or "cooler"--as an experienced traveler, I knew this through years of painful experience (losing 10 pounds of water weight traveling on the Texas Eagle cross-country is enough to make a skeptic of anyone). Still, whether by random chance or some subliminal hope that seeing the dial pointed towards "cooler" might psychologically cause me to think that I actually was, I turned the temperature gage to its coldest setting and settled in to work on my laptop in the steamy tropical setting (and believe me when I tell you that So Cal had nothing on this Seattle-bound Roomette in December--it was balmy).

Bu then, a very strange thing happened. When I looked up from my work about an hour later, I realized that it wasn't so warm--in fact, the temperature was comfortable. I pulled out my Kindle and began reading--within the next hour, I found myself reaching for my jacket. It was cold!

I'm not a believer in the supernatural, in magical folklore or leprechauns with overflowing pots of gold at the end of the rainbow... so naturally I dismissed the idea that the climate control knob had actually worked. Surely the SCA had turned down the temperature, or maybe the people getting on and off the train had allowed enough cold air in to cool the Roomette down. Throwing on my jacket, I turned the dial back up to "warmer" without giving it much thought and left for dinner.

Shockingly, though, I returned to a warm room only 45 minutes later. Within another hour, I was again seeing shimmering heat waves and was envisioning cool drinks served poolside. Curious but still unbelieving, I turned the dial back to "cooler" and fell asleep. It was only when I woke up shivering with teeth chattering from the cold that I became convinced that this was no ordinary Roomette: this was a Roomette with a climate control system...that was actually functional. (Cue dramatic music here, if this is ever made into a movie).

Dwight,

You were drinking heavily and through the haze of alcohol "dreamed" this happened didn't you. You can admit it, it's OK we are all friends here, right. Just kiddin. As I like to say, "I don't know what I don't know". My first AMTRAK LD since CT-FL in 1993 was 12/11 LAX-CHI-BAL on SWC/CARD. Taking the advice many people gave me here on AU, I duct taped the top SWC bedroom A/C vent shut with cereal box side/duct tape deducting from my advanced degree in thermal engineering from WhatSaMatta U that cold falls. I stopped the cold from falling. Knowing a railcar like my 33 ft RV is a tincan with wheels, I knew the metal itself would radiate the coolness I needed to as a base temp and then adjusted the heat temp knob (IT WORKED)

to mid level and using temp gauge on my wife's alarm clock was able to keep downstairs area around 68-70 degrees and that resulted in the top bunk being around 70-72 degrees. It was comfortable and maybe I was just lucky or it actually worked. The CARDINAL roomette "seemed" refurbished and the climate control seemed to work OK. The dining car and cafe car always seemed to be just about right and it might have something to do with it being an open space.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back