A packing question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

densgirl

Train Attendant
It's been three years since our last train trip and even then that was the Autotrain so the minivan was a huge rolling suitcase lol. When flying I pack everything in my carryons in clear plastic ziploc bags so they can be easily removed when clearing TSA. Is there a need to do this on Amtrak? Do they have random bag searches? I won't be checking my bag if it matters. I have just one small fabric duffle and one smaller case for toiletries and overnight wear in the sleeper. We originate in Boston on the 161 and then pick up the 97 in NYP for the bulk of the trip to FL. Thanks again in advance for the help.

You do not have to put things in clear plastic bags when traveling on Amtrak. There are certain obvious things that you can't pack in your bags like guns and such, the full list as well as general guidelines can be found here.

As for random searches, occasionally a train is boarded and a police dog may be used to check for banned substances, but that tends to be rare. The odds are that you'll never see that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not have to put things in clear plastic bags when traveling on Amtrak. There are certain obvious things that you can't pack in your bags like guns and such, the full list as well as general guidelines can be found here.
As for random searches, occasionally a train is boarded and a police dog may be used to check for banned substances, but that tends to be rare. The odds are that you'll never see that happen.
Thanks Alan. I do that for flying because you are certain to have to open everything up so it makes the checks go so much faster. I don't have any contraband planned for packing. Just shorts, tshirts and coffee. All the necessities for a great Disney vacation. :D

You don't mention what type of sleeping accomodations you have, but keep in mind that a small duffle and a toiletry kit are about all you can store in a roomette. A bedroom will give you a bit more room, but don't expect to put the duffle in the closet as they are extremely narrow (my leather coat didn't go in without some cramming!). You'll be setting things on the floor or one of the seats. If traveling alone its not problem. if someone is with you.....??

It's been three years since our last train trip and even then that was the Autotrain so the minivan was a huge rolling suitcase lol. When flying I pack everything in my carryons in clear plastic ziploc bags so they can be easily removed when clearing TSA. Is there a need to do this on Amtrak? Do they have random bag searches? I won't be checking my bag if it matters. I have just one small fabric duffle and one smaller case for toiletries and overnight wear in the sleeper. We originate in Boston on the 161 and then pick up the 97 in NYP for the bulk of the trip to FL. Thanks again in advance for the help.

My family and I have been traveling the Silver Service for quite a while now and have always stayed in teh deluxe room, here are some suggestions that may help you out.

Unlike the auto train there is no entertainment on the silver service aymore, so bringing a portable DVD player with your favorite movies tends to make the trip go by quicker, especially if you have children.

We usually check our luggage and bring a small duffle bag on with us that has the normal overnight provisions, change of clothes, medicines, toiletries, etc. One thing that we have been doing for the last couple of trips is bringing some snacks, i.e. small bags cookies, they sell what i call the vending packs in most supermarkets, we also bring the small bottles of snapple. Even though you can get water, soda and coffee the snapple is great for the kids, since they will only go for the water for so long and my daughter does not like soda!! :D

Depending on your room situation, my suggestion is don't bring alot on to the train, even the biggest room is not made to hold a lot of lugage and when the beds are made up there is less room to move around and luggage will only get in your way.

My family and I will be heading to disney in about a week and and can't wait!! Enjoy your trip!

Mrdisnie

Depending on your room situation, my suggestion is don't bring alot on to the train, even the biggest room is not made to hold a lot of lugage and when the beds are made up there is less room to move around and luggage will only get in your way.
Actually the big room on the single level cars used by the Silver Service, formerly known as a Deluxe Bedroom now just "Bedroom", has quite a bit of room for luggage without taking up floor space. In addition to the cubby hole over the hallway, which can hold two medium sized suitcases, you can also put several suitcases on top of the shower/sink/vanity/toilet unit.

One may need to take out the ladder for the bunk to help get the luggage on top of this unit, but there is probably room for two or three more suitcases up there.

Note: The Bedroom's in Amtrak's Superliner cars, the double deck sleepers, does not have this luxury. Only the Viewliner sleepers, Amtrak's single level sleepers, have this capability.

You don't mention what type of sleeping accomodations you have, but keep in mind that a small duffle and a toiletry kit are about all you can store in a roomette. A bedroom will give you a bit more room, but don't expect to put the duffle in the closet as they are extremely narrow (my leather coat didn't go in without some cramming!). You'll be setting things on the floor or one of the seats. If traveling alone its not problem. if someone is with you.....??
Thanks for the advice racer. I am traveling with someone else but we are aware of the tightness of the roomette. I don't usually over pack and my duffle is made of fabric. It can be smushed, squished and take almost any shape. I don't mind setting stuff on the floor either. I've done the bedroom before on two occasions but this is our first trip with just a roomette. Thanks for your response.

My family and I have been traveling the Silver Service for quite a while now and have always stayed in teh deluxe room, here are some suggestions that may help you out.

Unlike the auto train there is no entertainment on the silver service aymore, so bringing a portable DVD player with your favorite movies tends to make the trip go by quicker, especially if you have children.

We usually check our luggage and bring a small duffle bag on with us that has the normal overnight provisions, change of clothes, medicines, toiletries, etc. One thing that we have been doing for the last couple of trips is bringing some snacks, i.e. small bags cookies, they sell what i call the vending packs in most supermarkets, we also bring the small bottles of snapple. Even though you can get water, soda and coffee the snapple is great for the kids, since they will only go for the water for so long and my daughter does not like soda!! :D

My family and I will be heading to disney in about a week and and can't wait!! Enjoy your trip!

Mrdisnie
Hey Mrdisnie. Thanks for the response. I read your trip report from your spring trip, great job! I have done the Silver Service and the Autotrain before with a deluxe on the Silver Service and 2 of the deluxe with the partion removed on the Autotrain. I am aware the roomettes are a great deal less roomy. I do also plan to check my luggage as soon as we get to NYP. I have used this service before and they are great with it.

We leave next week too! I hope you guys enjoy your trip as well. Thanks for the advice.

Actually the big room on the single level cars used by the Silver Service, formerly known as a Deluxe Bedroom now just "Bedroom", has quite a bit of room for luggage without taking up floor space. In addition to the cubby hole over the hallway, which can hold two medium sized suitcases, you can also put several suitcases on top of the shower/sink/vanity/toilet unit.

One may need to take out the ladder for the bunk to help get the luggage on top of this unit, but there is probably room for two or three more suitcases up there.

Note: The Bedroom's in Amtrak's Superliner cars, the double deck sleepers, does not have this luxury. Only the Viewliner sleepers, Amtrak's single level sleepers, have this capability.
Thanks Alan that is what I thought I read, that the area above the hallway had room for two small to medium pullmans. Luckily my traveling companion brings only a medium sized backpak for a week away from home. :D I appreciate all the help.

As well as the cubby over the hall (very useful), there is space under the seats, however, when the bed is made up, there is no way of getting at them until the bed is unmade. As for the origional question, no, bags are not searched (at least on netional trains). If the conductor or a sleeping car attendant suspects you have contraband items I am sure that they can make you prove you don't while on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back