A really bad experience with luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and re-read my orginal post regarding the carryon bag, and I stick by it. Having worked in the airline industry for more years than I care to admit, I have no patience for passengers who imply that employees are somehow picking on them for enforcing carryon bag polices. It's their job. I was also floored that the OP thought the conductor enforced the policy as some kind of favor to another employee. Trust me, the employees could care less; they are just doing their jobs.
You would be amazed at what people try to carry on! It is not only against policy, but it inconveniences other passengers when people try to lug their huge bags down the aisles, bumping other people, and thumping people on the head trying to get their big bags in overhead bins. I'm getting ready for our first long distance train trip, but on a short train trip a few years ago, a flight attendant friend and I laughed when we saw a lady with a HUGE bag, struggling, stuggling, just like our passengers. Before everyone had bags on wheels, we didn't deal with this problem because carryon meant carryon. Now if they can wheel it, people think they should be able to take in on board. Check the dang bag, please.
Wait a minute, she says she checked the bag against one of Amtrak's size testers and found it to be within limits. Based on the bag she linked to, while she doesn't say anything about the third dimension, it would appear to fit within that allowed dimension as well. Unless we have specific reason to disbelieve the OP, why are we blaming her? There's no reason not to believe her. My family and I traveled this year on Amtrak for a week using carryon only. Our bags were big, but well within the limits defined by Amtrak's own policy. As a major portion of our trip was on trains without checked baggage at all, and we each only had one bag plus a few personal items, had this situation happened to us, we likely would have had to cancel and my family at least would have been "never again."

I went back and re-read my orginal post regarding the carryon bag, and I stick by it. Having worked in the airline industry for more years than I care to admit, I have no patience for passengers who imply that employees are somehow picking on them for enforcing carryon bag polices. It's their job. I was also floored that the OP thought the conductor enforced the policy as some kind of favor to another employee. Trust me, the employees could care less; they are just doing their jobs.
You would be amazed at what people try to carry on! It is not only against policy, but it inconveniences other passengers when people try to lug their huge bags down the aisles, bumping other people, and thumping people on the head trying to get their big bags in overhead bins. I'm getting ready for our first long distance train trip, but on a short train trip a few years ago, a flight attendant friend and I laughed when we saw a lady with a HUGE bag, struggling, stuggling, just like our passengers. Before everyone had bags on wheels, we didn't deal with this problem because carryon meant carryon. Now if they can wheel it, people think they should be able to take in on board. Check the dang bag, please.
But did you re-read the original post? The OP claims that she measured the height of that bag when she got off, and it was within the 28" height limit carryon and well withing the 22" width limit. This wasn't a case of someone trying to even skirt the limits, but someone with a regulation sized carryon for Amtrak's purposes.

The issue seems to me to be the conductor just eyeballed the thing and just said you're not getting on with that. This also isn't a plane where space is at an absolute premium. The overheads in the LD cars I've been on are very spacious and open. They don't close behind a door except maybe with California Cars. Even those are pretty big compared to airline bins.

But did you re-read the original post? The OP claims that she measured the height of that bag when she got off, and it was within the 28" height limit carryon and well withing the 22" width limit. This wasn't a case of someone trying to even skirt the limits, but someone with a regulation sized carryon for Amtrak's purposes.

The issue seems to me to be the conductor just eyeballed the thing and just said you're not getting on with that. This also isn't a plane where space is at an absolute premium. The overheads in the LD cars I've been on are very spacious and open. They don't close behind a door except maybe with California Cars. Even those are pretty big compared to airline bins.
Yep, I re-read the original post. My guess is the bag was over-packed, exceeding the limits. When two employees tell a passenger the bag is oversized, listen. They are just trying to help you.

Wait a minute, she says she checked the bag against one of Amtrak's size testers and found it to be within limits. Based on the bag she linked to, while she doesn't say anything about the third dimension, it would appear to fit within that allowed dimension as well. Unless we have specific reason to disbelieve the OP, why are we blaming her? There's no reason not to believe her. My family and I traveled this year on Amtrak for a week using carryon only. Our bags were big, but well within the limits defined by Amtrak's own policy. As a major portion of our trip was on trains without checked baggage at all, and we each only had one bag plus a few personal items, had this situation happened to us, we likely would have had to cancel and my family at least would have been "never again."
Hmmm... Okay, so what would be the motivation for these employees to tell the passenger her bag was oversized? They don't get bonuses for checking bags. LOL! Her bag was too big; two employees told her. Just check the big bag, please.

Yep, I re-read the original post. My guess is the bag was over-packed, exceeding the limits. When two employees tell a passenger the bag is oversized, listen. They are just trying to help you.
You're making the assumption that the passenger was wrong and that the Amtrak employees were right. I don't know for sure, but she sure as heck claims that she measured the bag after the fact and found it to be within the carryon limits. What's her incentive to lie about it now? And even if it's an inch over the limit, it's not a plane. A simple judgement call erring on the side of helping the passenger would seem to be a better option than being an absolute stickler for the rules. And even then I believe the OP when she claims that she measured the bag and it was within spec.

I don't want to check in a bag if I can help it. Especially not if I'm on a long trip and in that bag are all the things to keep my kid occupied. Telling a passenger to check in a bag that is not oversized and packed with necessary items is not helping. Just today I saw a couple of people take a large plush toy that was clearly not within the limits. That thing was about 3-1/2 feet long, and the conductors didn't say "you'll have to leave". It wasn't a big issue and the conductor let it slide.

Hmmm... Okay, so what would be the motivation for these employees to tell the passenger her bag was oversized? They don't get bonuses for checking bags. LOL! Her bag was too big; two employees told her. Just check the big bag, please.
So she's wrong - they're right. Even if they didn't measure her bag and she did. Got it. Has it occured to you that it went down just the way she claims it did?

So she's wrong - they're right. Even if they didn't measure her bag and she did. Got it. Has it occured to you that it went down just the way she claims it did?
No, didn't occur to me. She lost me when she claimed the conductor had her check the bag as a favor to another employee.

No, didn't occur to me. She lost me when she claimed the conductor had her check the bag as a favor to another employee.
Right, because a passenger would be expected to know the inner workings of Amtrak enough that they should know better. If two employees look to require a passenger to do something other than what the policy says, it is not unreasonable for that passenger to assume, that they are somehow working together other than just being part of the same company.

That was her opinion and was pretty clear that it was only an opinion ("I believe" seems to be the relevant phrase). However, her claim of the facts was that she later measured her luggage and it was within the carryon size limits, and the conductor didn't even bother to measure it. So that was a lie? How hard is it to whip out a tape measure and check? Or maybe once you don't agree with an opinion any claimed facts of the incident are to be ignored or must be untrue?

No, I would not expect a passenger to know the inner workings of Amtrak. However, without knowing the inner workings of Amtrak, two employees in cahoots about one carryon bag seems a bit far-fetched.

I would not expect an employee to whip out a tape measure. She had already been told by one employee it was oversized, so she should not have been surprised when a second employee told her it was oversized. No, I do not disregard facts when my opinon differs, but I do question the facts as represented by the OP.

No, I would not expect a passenger to know the inner workings of Amtrak. However, without knowing the inner workings of Amtrak, two employees in cahoots about one carryon bag seems a bit far-fetched.
I would not expect an employee to whip out a tape measure. She had already been told by one employee it was oversized, so she should not have been surprised when a second employee told her it was oversized. No, I do not disregard facts when my opinon differs, but I do question the facts as represented by the OP.
So you believe the OP's version of the facts isn't trustworthy? I for one could very well believe it - that one employee decided to back up another one's "eyeball test" and that the OP checked the size of the luggage after the fact. Is it something that just couldn't have happened - that a couple of Amtrak employees' eyeball tests are superior to a passenger's tape measure? Or that you don't believe she ever checked the size?

So you believe the OP's version of the facts isn't trustworthy? I for one could very well believe it - that one employee decided to back up another one's "eyeball test" and that the OP checked the size of the luggage after the fact. Is it something that just couldn't have happened - that a couple of Amtrak employees' eyeball tests are superior to a passenger's tape measure? Or that you don't believe she ever checked the size?
Why are you continuing in the same vein as before?

How about this?

Maybe all of them are full of it.

I certainly wouldn't take the word of one person complaining, especially one that hasn't returned.

We weren't there and we have no idea what else she was carrying and how much she was struggling with all of it including a child.

If you were to listen to my husband's side of every trip we've taken together you'd think that the experience, food, and employees were horrible and that includes the cruise we were just on - while my experience is just the opposite.

And... that's the reason why all of my future travel is going to be solo.

Sucks to be him.

The fact of the matter is, just like the pilot of an airplane or a flight attendant - what the crew of the train says the rules are is what you need to heed.

She's lucky they let her slide.

You want to argue with the crew, go right ahead.

~ Joanie - who was told by a flight attendant that the small carry on tote she had could not be brought on the plane and had to go back out to the gangway to be checked.

I checked the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

How about this?

I certainly wouldn't take the word of one person complaining, especially one that hasn't returned.

We weren't there and we have no idea what else she was carrying and how much she was struggling with all of it including a child.

If you were to listen to my husband's side of every trip we've taken together you'd think that the experience, food, and employees were horrible and that includes the cruise we were just on - while my experience is just the opposite.

Sucks to be him.

The fact of the matter is, just like the pilot of an airplane or a flight attendant - what the crew of the train says the rules are is what you need to heed.

~ Joanie - who was told by a flight attendant that the small carry on tote she had could not be brought on the plane and had to go back out to the gangway to be checked.

I checked the bag.
I'm not sure of the opinion that the employees were in cahoots to deprive our OP of a check-in bag. However, if she claims that she measured the height of the bag, I have no reason to question that.

I certainly understand airports. Every airport I've been to either had boxes or cages that one can use to check a bag against the carry-on size limit. I've yet to see one at an Amtrak station.

I know there are certain situations where the flight attendants or conductors are in charge. I've even experienced a flight where my carry-on bag was within the requirements, but where all the bins were full. The flight attendant did a gate check for free since I had complied with the carry on size limits. However, this is a case where the OP claims that she checked the rules, measured her luggage against the limits in the rules, and concluded that her bag was within those limits. Even if the conductor has full control of the situation, would it be right? If all I have is a 21" tall standard airline-sized carryon bag (that I know is within the guidelines) and a conductor tells me that it's too big to take on board, would that be OK? They've got rules to follow too, and I would hope that if it's borderline they do have a measuring device somewhere. When I visited an amusement park recently, I remember some kids were right at the ride height requirement, and they went as far as to line up kids against their measuring standard and even placed a clipboard against the top of the head. There was no argument from the parents because it was clear the kids were too short.

Heck - one time I took the Coast Starlight and noticed a fellow passenger coming off the train at San Jose with a guitar case. I'm pretty sure she didn't check that in.

How about this?

Sucks to be him.

I checked the bag.
I'm not sure of the opinion that the employees were in cahoots to deprive our OP of a check-in bag. However, if she claims that she measured the height of the bag, I have no reason to question that.

I certainly understand airports. Every airport I've been to either had boxes or cages that one can use to check a bag against the carry-on size limit. I've yet to see one at an Amtrak station.

I know there are certain situations where the flight attendants or conductors are in charge. I've even experienced a flight where my carry-on bag was within the requirements, but where all the bins were full. The flight attendant did a gate check for free since I had complied with the carry on size limits. However, this is a case where the OP claims that she checked the rules, measured her luggage against the limits in the rules, and concluded that her bag was within those limits. Even if the conductor has full control of the situation, would it be right? If all I have is a 21" tall standard airline-sized carryon bag (that I know is within the guidelines) and a conductor tells me that it's too big to take on board, would that be OK? They've got rules to follow too, and I would hope that if it's borderline they do have a measuring device somewhere. When I visited an amusement park recently, I remember some kids were right at the ride height requirement, and they went as far as to line up kids against their measuring standard and even placed a clipboard against the top of the head. There was no argument from the parents because it was clear the kids were too short.

Heck - one time I took the Coast Starlight and noticed a fellow passenger coming off the train at San Jose with a guitar case. I'm pretty sure she didn't check that in.
I don't care what anyone claims as anyone can claim anything.

Some people are always victims and everyone is always out to get them.

Some people thrive on drama and if none is present, must manufacture some.

Some people feel entitled to special treatment and actually believe that they are special.

We have no idea what the demeanor of the complainer was at the time.

Without actual proof that can be verified, all we have here is hearsay

Again, none of us were there so all claims made by the OP must be taken with a grain of salt.

The crew still has the final say no matter what any of us have seen or experienced ourselves on Amtrak.

The crew still has the final say no matter what any of us have seen or experienced ourselves on Amtrak.
OK - just as a hypothetical question. Suppose someone has a bag that they feel is exactly the 28x22x14" limit - maybe even measured it before. A conductor says it can't go as carryon and for whatever reason won't measure it. Would that be within their authority? If it's within their authority, would that be an abuse of their authority?

That a conductor has the final say doesn't mean that they're right. That's my only contention. Fortunately I've never had any serious issue with a conductor, and I've had some odd incidents including the time when the door opened to the conductor's private area and a couple of us freaked out and went through the door.

OK - just as a hypothetical question. Suppose someone has a bag that they feel is exactly the 28x22x14" limit - maybe even measured it before. A conductor says it can't go as carryon and for whatever reason won't measure it. Would that be within their authority? If it's within their authority, would that be an abuse of their authority?

That a conductor has the final say doesn't mean that they're right. That's my only contention. Fortunately I've never had any serious issue with a conductor, and I've had some odd incidents including the time when the door opened to the conductor's private area and a couple of us freaked out and went through the door.
I can see you're enjoying the beating of this poor dead horse :p

Well then, in that case, I'd say CYA and carry a tape measure.

You either know what size your luggage is or you don't.

There's no way you're lifting it or even fitting a max. allowable piece of luggage in the overhead bin.

Maybe the luggage racks downstairs are full.

Maybe the train is going to be filled to the max down the line.

Maybe the train is already full.

If a crew member tells you that you need to check it, then be prepared to check your max. allowable piece of luggage.

That's why you should always carry a tote or small carry-on that can fit in the overhead bin with all of the things you'll need during the trip.

On my last trip, I had a 25" piece of luggage that was well within the guidelines and I had the worst time handling it and, trust me, I can handle some luggage.

I can't imagine having had that legal limit carry-on and a child with me let alone one that was even larger than 25".

If there hadn't been room in the luggage racks downstairs, it would have been a real struggle to maneuver it up the stairs.

It will never come with me anywhere again, it was just too cumbersome and it was a new-fangled, lightweight, spinner piece.

I'd like to think that Amtrak is finally cracking down on all of the people that take advantage of their more than generous carry-on policies.

In the end, prepare to do what the crew member asks you to do or find another mode of transportation.

Been done to death I know. I know the original post is a couple of pages back, but the OP's original statement was that the conductor claimed the bag was too big. Not that there was no available storage space, there wouldn't be available storage space down the line (and why should a conductor punish a passenger for that hypothetical?), that she didn't feel the OP could handle it, etc If there's a reason, at least be upfront about it and don't come up with some random excuse.

Again - I've never really known too many conductors and attendants who didn't at least let things slide a bit. I carried a stroller on board even though I technically couldn't unless it was for a non-paying lap infant. I mentioned the guitar.

And after this, I think I will carry a tape measure with me just in case. Right in the outside pocket. On the other hand, I almost never travel with more than an airline sized carryon.

Joanie, you Rock in my book! :)

I should probably bow out of this discussion, but I'm going to continue to stick up for my cohorts in the travel industry. Trust me, employees are not in cahoots. They don't care how big of a bag you are attempting to carry on . They do care, however, about their jobs and following policy. We receive memos and briefings reagarding polices, audits to make sure we're following policy, and I'm thinking these employees were just doing their jobs.

TWO employees told this lady her bag was too big. If they said it was too big; it was too big. Employees don't need a tape measure to know this. Follow the rules, and remember, the employees are just doing their jobs. Yes, I doubt what the OP claimed because I have 20 plus years of experience dealing with the traveling public.

If I've heard "but it fit last time" as a passenger attempted to shove a bag in an overhead bin once, I've heard it a thousand times. Do everyone a favor, including your fellow travelers, and check the large bags, please.

I remain firmly in support of the Amtrak employees. :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I've heard many times "I measured it." Yep, and sometimes they measure incorrectly, and often the empty bag is certainly within the limits, but once it is stuffed full of "stuff," it is way oversized. That dang pocket on the outside, stuffed full, makes it too big; those expanding bags with the zippers, make bags exceed the limits. Did I mention that packing light adds to your traveling enjoyment? :wub:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I've heard many times "I measured it." Yep, and sometimes they measure incorrectly, and often the empty bag is certainly within the limits, but once it is stuffed full of "stuff," it is way oversized. That dang pocket on the outside, stuffed full, makes it too big; those expanding bags with the zippers, make bags exceed the limits. Did I mention that packing light adds to your traveling enjoyment? :wub:
Tell me about it!

I always pack light when traveling, esp. on the train.

On this last trip though (combined train/cruise trip), I *planned* everything I was taking, then took out half of it because it was too much.

I still didn't wear half of the things I brought and my suitcase was still too heavy - 22" is my limit now.

Never again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back