A short SWC report for a short trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mucomix

Service Attendant
SWC - Lawrence to Garden City & back the same day. A short report for a short trip.

This was my first Superliner coach ride it was not that bad. I figure for myself somewhere around 7-8 Hr if it was in the DAY on a lightly loaded train superliner coach would be ok. The Mrs. and myself could do coach from Lawrence to Chicago if a roomette was way overpriced on the day we wanted to travel. On both legs of this trip every one could have had two seats to themselves if they wanted. A smaller person may be able to sleep in two seats but for myself I’m a roomette or better man if I need to sleep. If the track was not so rough here in Kansas I bet I could have caught a fair nap. There may be rougher track out there but I hope I don’t find it.

Lawrence dwell time: I never gave much thought why the west bound SWC can spend so much time in Lawrence. Sure they get fuel in the KC yards but the time that was allowed to off load the mail at Desoto in the past remains in the schedule per the conductor. That is why the SWC can hang around Lawrence for around 40 min.

SWC - Lawrence to Garden City & back the same day. A short report for a short trip.
This was my first Superliner coach ride it was not that bad. I figure for myself somewhere around 7-8 Hr if it was in the DAY on a lightly loaded train superliner coach would be ok. The Mrs. and myself could do coach from Lawrence to Chicago if a roomette was way overpriced on the day we wanted to travel. On both legs of this trip every one could have had two seats to themselves if they wanted. A smaller person may be able to sleep in two seats but for myself I’m a roomette or better man if I need to sleep. If the track was not so rough here in Kansas I bet I could have caught a fair nap. There may be rougher track out there but I hope I don’t find it.

Lawrence dwell time: I never gave much thought why the west bound SWC can spend so much time in Lawrence. Sure they get fuel in the KC yards but the time that was allowed to off load the mail at Desoto in the past remains in the schedule per the conductor. That is why the SWC can hang around Lawrence for around 40 min.
Nice trip - I think short out & back rides like that are fun for a day. I've done Miami to Sebring, FL in a day and it's nice to get out on the rails for a little bit. Even better when you have plenty of room to spread out in coach like you encountered.

The only problem is I have gotten too old for a day or day’s the trip that works out to be this long. I was shot when I got home. I went out to Garden City for a continuing education meeting. I can’t work 12hr then get on the train in the middle of the night go to a meeting then go to dinner have a few drinks get back on the train and come home. I’m glad I tried it doubt I would do it again. Roll the clock back about 30yrs it would have been a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back