A temporary southbound CS (#11) detour...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading some of those replies I think it's a load of it. But only Amtrak knows. Nothing posted on Amtrak's website. So IMO this is just a rumor started by someone who wants everyone to stand out on the mainline for hours at a time waiting for number 11 to go by with no luck. :angry:

This will be happening. UP has trackwork south of SJC that will close the railroad for #11's operation.

Reading some of those replies I think it's a load of it. But only Amtrak knows. Nothing posted on Amtrak's website. So IMO this is just a rumor started by someone who wants everyone to stand out on the mainline for hours at a time waiting for number 11 to go by with no luck. :angry:
Well, Just did a few test bookings for the dates mentioned in the other forum and while Amtrak.com is very happy to sell me a ticket to LA on those days, it seems very insistent that the southbound CS is 'sold out' to SLO and SBA.

Go try it yourself........

I'm sure that there will be more than a few people upset that they won't be getting the ocean view portion of the trip during this detour (similar to the loss of the scenic Rockie portion missed on the WY detour of the CZ a few years ago). I'm guessing that those pax already holding tix for the affected dates will be called and advised of the change and an offer made to re-schedule their trip if they want (at least that's what Amtrak did with me for my detoured CZ trip).

Personally, having lived a great deal of my life in the high desert area an being through the Tehachapis many many times, I would really enjoy seeing this route as a train passenger. :)

I'm sure that there will be more than a few people upset that they won't be getting the ocean view portion of the trip during this detour (similar to the loss of the scenic Rockie portion missed on the WY detour of the CZ a few years ago). I'm guessing that those pax already holding tix for the affected dates will be called and advised of the change and an offer made to re-schedule their trip if they want (at least that's what Amtrak did with me for my detoured CZ trip).

Personally, having lived a great deal of my life in the high desert area an being through the Tehachapis many many times, I would really enjoy seeing this route as a train passenger. :)
If you want to ride over Tehachapi, PRS is running a special train April 2-3 over Tehachapi, too. It'll be Amfleet, but it is supposed to have Amtrak's Ocean View full-length dome and it will be open seating in the dome. Here is a link if you are interested.

http://www.pacificrailroadsociety.org/excursions/index.html

If you want to ride over Tehachapi, PRS is running a special train April 2-3 over Tehachapi, too. It'll be Amfleet, but it is supposed to have Amtrak's Ocean View full-length dome and it will be open seating in the dome. Here is a link if you are interested.

http://www.pacificrailroadsociety.org/excursions/index.html
Unfortunately, I'm at the wrong end of CA to make that work without great expense. However, I am contemplating a trip on the CS during one of those work periods to do just that. It all boils down to logistics (and finances of course). :)

This will be happening. UP has trackwork south of SJC that will close the railroad for #11's operation.
Where did you hear that at?
It's confirmed! :)
By Amtrak?? I'm 100% confused now! :lol:
Yes, by Amtrak. Try booking a trip southbound during those dates either to or from one of the stops that will be bypassed, and you'll find that you can't book the trip.

Plus as I noted in another recent post, Trogdor isn't given to posting rumors. If he's posted something, you can be pretty certain that it's the straight dope.

You'll also note that on the dates in question, train 11 is scheduled into LAX 59 minutes later than its normal time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what way the detoured trains are taking from Oakland to Niles?

Some information that I read from before the actual start stated that they would be taking the Niles Sub. (the line that the Capitol Corridor takes), but there doesn't seem to be a direct connection from the north to the Oakland Sub. going east at Niles Jct. It would make more sense to connect to the Oakland Sub. at Melrose; or just take the normal route on the Coast Sub., with a left at Newark onto the Niles Sub. going east, which has a direct connection at Niles (the route that ACE takes).

Does anyone know what way the detoured trains are taking from Oakland to Niles?

Some information that I read from before the actual start stated that they would be taking the Niles Sub. (the line that the Capitol Corridor takes), but there doesn't seem to be a direct connection from the north to the Oakland Sub. going east at Niles Jct. It would make more sense to connect to the Oakland Sub. at Melrose; or just take the normal route on the Coast Sub., with a left at Newark onto the Niles Sub. going east, which has a direct connection at Niles (the route that ACE takes).
Oakland - Capitol Corridor - Fremont (Niles) - Altamont Commuter Express route through Niles Canyon, Pleasanton, Livermore, and Altamont Pass to Lathrop - UP (former SP) line throught the San Joaquin Valley* to Bakersfield and over Tehachapi Pass to Mojave and Lancaster - Metrolink Antelope Valley Line through Palmdale and San Fernando to Los Angeles. This particular route between Oakland and Lathrop via Livermore has not seen regular passenger service in decades.
* This is NOT the route the San Joaquin trains use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, that's more or less the information to which I referred. As I said, it doesn't seem to work, since it would require backwards movement at Niles Jct.

Then again, that's exactly what they're doing at Lathrop.

That's the info provided by Amtrak for railfans, so I can't speak to how it works, but I'm pretty sure that they're not doing a backup move.

Looking at Bing maps, it looks to me like if they come down the former Western Pacific tracks from Oakland, at Niles Junction one has to actually hang a right turn on the wye to go to San Jose. Otherwise one goes right over the Altamont pass route.

The Altamont commuter express trains from San Jose are taking the eastern/northern side of the wye to turn onto the Altamont tracks.

Now if they came down on the former SP line, then they have a problem, as that hits a diamond just off a bridge with the WP line.

I don't believe that there is a connection from the Oakland Sub. coming from Oakland to either the Warm Springs Sub. or the westbound Niles Sub., towards the Coast and San Jose.

There's a special connecting track at Niles Jct. from the eastbound Niles Sub. (coming from the Coast Sub. at Newark) to the eastbound Oakland Sub. (to Altamont).

I'm guessing that by "the former SP line" you mean the Niles Sub., which turns from east to north (or south to west) at Niles Jct. Coming from Oakland, it only has the end-on connection to the Warm Springs Sub. at Niles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back