A380 vs. CRJ-700

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you the pilot, Chris?
huh.gif
Be honest - you planned to do that!
mosking.gif

huh.gif
mosking.gif
Well I don't work there anymore so it wasn't me. Plus I never flew the -700 model. (It would have been fun on my last day though. :lol: )

Seriously though, I can easily see it happening at that very spot. I parked at those spots a few hundred times and its a tight squeeze. The longer CRJ-700's only park right next to the taxiway in which the A380 was taxiing by. He wasn't pulled all the way in because he has to make a sharp left hand turn to get into the parking spot, and pulling up any further would have brought him too far up.

huh.gif
mosking.gif
Well I don't work there anymore so it wasn't me. Plus I never flew the -700 model. (It would have been fun on my last day though. :lol: )

Seriously though, I can easily see it happening at that very spot. I parked at those spots a few hundred times and its a tight squeeze. The longer CRJ-700's only park right next to the taxiway in which the A380 was taxiing by. He wasn't pulled all the way in because he has to make a sharp left hand turn to get into the parking spot, and pulling up any further would have brought him too far up.
Aloha

Then did the tower err by allowing the air bus to go behind without clearing the smaller plane. It does look like it almost made it.

Pays to "keep your seat belt fastened until aircraft is parked at the gate, and the pilot has turned off the 'fasten seat belt sign'.........." No kidding, you coulda got whiplash.

I can hear the ambulance-chaser attorneys now...........

huh.gif
mosking.gif

Aloha

Then did the tower err by allowing the air bus to go behind without clearing the smaller plane. It does look like it almost made it.
Not necessarily. The tower really has no way of knowing for sure. Usually they'd say something like "Let that CRJ across on Mike and then proceed on Alpha" or some such. After that it is ultimately the responsibility of the PIC to ensure they don't crash into things.

In this case I think FAA might have a little explaining to do on why they gave JFK a waiver to allow operation of the 380 in those tight quarters. The taxiway spacing there does not meet FAA's own standard and hence the need for waiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
You of course immediately popped into my mind when I saw that video last night on the 11 PM news, they got a copy just before signing off for the evening, so I had already seen the vid in the first post.

Pays to "keep your seat belt fastened until aircraft is parked at the gate, and the pilot has turned off the 'fasten seat belt sign'.........." No kidding, you coulda got whiplash.

I can hear the ambulance-chaser attorneys now...........
Even with a seatbelt on you probably still could have gotten whiplash from that. That was a very sudden, violent, and unexpected movement.

Any fool who didn't have their belt still on and were already standing almost certainly did go flying!

huh.gif
mosking.gif

Aloha

Not necessarily. The tower really has no way of knowing for sure. Usually they'd say something like "Let that CRJ across on Mike and then proceed on Alpha" or some such. After that it is ultimately the responsibility of the PIC to ensure they don't crash into things.

In this case I think FAA might have a little explaining to do on why they gave JFK a waiver to allow operation of the 380 in those tight quarters. The taxiway spacing there does not meet FAA's own standard and hence the need for waiver.
Well for better or for worse, one thing we can be assured of is a whole new set of rules whenever one of these oversize jumbo's taxis. Perhaps, a more restricted taxi speed, or Port Authority "pilot" vehicles or even in the extreme, wingwalkers to guide the aircraft through these tight quarters.

Whatever it is, it will result in more delays and disruptions.

Safety First!

My inner armchair NTSB agent says it looks like the Airbus pilot's fault... looks like what happens when a semi-truck driver makes a turn and underestimates the length of his rig-- and clips a car. He probably thought it would clear, the pictures of the damage to the A-380s wing should tell the story.

Exactly (I think his exact words were "Roll the emergency trucks...").

I would have been "Holy *BLEEP* that *BLEEP* *BLEEP* just *BLEEPING* hit us!!!"

Edit: I also hear that the first words out of the cockpit of the Air France was "We surrender!", but I might just be making that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the air what was spoken from the cockpit of the CRJ was something like "Send out the truck. We have been hit by Air France".
More like "we just got flipped with 90 degrees we didn't want"

This is an airport fender-bender... I wonder what kind of damage you could expect, broken hydros, tears in the tail, those landing gears will probably need checked, and the vomit bags replaced :lol:

I'm guessing that Airbus got pulled off the tarmac for NTSB inspection, poor pax probably had to wait for AirFrance to try and get another plane out.

This is an airport fender-bender... I wonder what kind of damage you could expect, broken hydros, tears in the tail, those landing gears will probably need checked, and the vomit bags replaced :lol:
The tail saw a fair amount of damage; such that it will need some major repair work before its fit to fly again.

I'm guessing that Airbus got pulled off the tarmac for NTSB inspection, poor pax probably had to wait for AirFrance to try and get another plane out.
He had wing damage, so he wasn't going anywhere even if the NTSB had said "we don't need to see the plane for our inspections." The Air France plane will need work before it can fly again.

Back