Abbreviations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catblue

Service Attendant
I see a lot of abbreviations in the post and being somewhat new to this forum I have not learned what all of the abbreviations mean.

Can you please post some of the most used abbreviations and their meanings? Thanks!

I know CZ is California Zephyr, and EB is Empire Builder, CUS is Chicago Union Station but there is a lot I don't know. Like what is CCC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a lot of abbreviations in the post and being somewhat new to this forum I have not learned what all of the abbreviations mean. Can you please post some abbreviations and their meanings? Thanks!
I think most of the abbreviations you see here are the Amtrak three-letter station codes (PHL = Philadelphia, NYP = New York Penn Station, for example). Otherwise, give us an example or two and we can explain what they mean.

And, while I was replying, you gave an example. CCC = Cross Country Cafe: a style of Amtrak food service used on the City of New Orleans (CON). It provides a form of all-day dining service that is less elaborate and structured than the full-service dining car, but more than the simple "sandwich, snack and beverage" cafe service.

I wonder if some of what you are seeing are examples of railroad-eze, while others might be computer-eze. Which are two different things.

Some might be abbrevations of various railroads, like UP for Union Pacific, PRR for Pennsylania Railroad and many others.

Some are train names, like CZ for California Zephyr, SL for Sunset Limited, a whole timetable full of possibltilies.

It might be easier to answer your question if you provide some of the abbreviations since there could be many.

It is possible a guy on this forum who goes by Battallion 51 might have produced such a list years ago,if you are listening, Sean.

Many of the abbreviation that many us use are for stations (NYP = New York Penn, WAS = Washington, DC, CHI = Chicago, IL, etc...) or train names (CZ = California Zephyr, EB = Empire Builder, CONO = City of New Orleans, etc...) are usually obvious and/or the 1st letter of the city or name. Likewise, many of the train crew names (LSA = Lead Service Attendant, CA = coach or car attendant, etc...) is also the first letter. Others you may see are OTP = On Time Performance, Ar = Arrival (time) and Dp = Departure (time).

I admit I'm guilty of using some of these myself! :( Most are obvious, but if you can't figure out what is meant - just ask!

The only dumb question is the one not asked!

Many of the abbreviation that many us use are for stations (NYP = New York Penn, WAS = Washington, DC, CHI = Chicago, IL, etc...) or train names (CZ = California Zephyr, EB = Empire Builder, CONO = City of New Orleans, etc...) are usually obvious and/or the 1st letter of the city or name. Likewise, many of the train crew names (LSA = Lead Service Attendant, CA = coach or car attendant, etc...) is also the first letter. Others you may see are OTP = On Time Performance, Ar = Arrival (time) and Dp = Departure (time).
I admit I'm guilty of using some of these myself! :( Most are obvious, but if you can't figure out what is meant - just ask!

What really puzzled me as a foreigner for a long time were the abbrevations used on this forum to shorten everyday phrases like IIRC or IMHO. When I finally knew what they meant they seemed pretty obvioous but before....

Personally, I hate when people abbreviate stations to three letters. Most of the time I cannot figure out what they are. It really takes so little extra time and effort to type it out.

Personally, I hate when people abbreviate stations to three letters. Most of the time I cannot figure out what they are. It really takes so little extra time and effort to type it out.
Some of them are pretty simple to figure out, like SLC (salt lake city), SAC (Sacramento). Others, not so simple if you're not familiar with the area, like OLW (olympia, Wa), PDX (portland, or).(they don't always make sense either)

I think the OP (original poster) may be talking about other abbreviations scattered throughout the board.

Like OTOH. There's plenty of them when posters talk about different routes, locos, the tracks, etc.

I know sometimes I can figure them out if it's computer abbreviations, but routes, locos, speed & especially technical/mechanical ones are not so easy. I use SLC because it's easier to use, but usually I'll put in the whole city

as well. Not everyone knows the abbreviation.

Some of them are pretty simple to figure out, like SLC (salt lake city), SAC (Sacramento). Others, not so simple if you're not familiar with the area, like OLW (olympia, Wa), PDX (portland, or).(they don't always make sense either)

I think the OP (original poster) may be talking about other abbreviations scattered throughout the board.

Like OTOH. There's plenty of them when posters talk about different routes, locos, the tracks, etc.

I know sometimes I can figure them out if it's computer abbreviations, but routes, locos, speed & especially technical/mechanical ones are not so easy. I use SLC because it's easier to use, but usually I'll put in the whole city

as well. Not everyone knows the abbreviation.
Yup, I would not have know SLC unless you said it.

What really puzzled me as a foreigner for a long time were the abbrevations used on this forum to shorten everyday phrases like IIRC or IMHO. When I finally knew what they meant they seemed pretty obvioous but before....

Well, you do not have to be a "foreigner" (your word) to not understand some of the computer-eze abbreviations. I found that I can usually just type them in on google and there is the answer.

I prefer spelling out the stations rather than the 3-letter code, too, but at least the ones for Amtrak stations make sense. Some of the airport ones don't seem to make any sense at all. The 3-letter code for Spokane International Airport, for example, is GEG. That makes no sense whatsoever, unless you happen to know the history of Spokane International. It was named, until 1960 or so, Geiger Field. But the average person would have no clue why Spokane International is GEG.

And then there is the airport at Sioux City, IA. It's been stuck with this code: SUX :lol: I think if I were among the good citizens of Sioux City, I'd be wanting to change that.

SUX that is funny! :lol:

At least it is good to know I am not the only one who does not always know what a abbreviation is.

Things like LSA = Lead Service Attendant are some of the kinds of things newbies to Amtrak might not know because we might also not even know there is a Lead Service Attendant.

Of course the more I read on here the more likely I am to eventually learn but that takes a while and the "not knowing and learning period" left me wondering about some of the abbreviations.

Thanks for trying to help.

Yes Google is a wonderful thing. I Google a lot of things that I just want to know more about.

FWIW. For what its worth. was one that I could never put together on my own but as long as you post it you will always get a friendly answer. Yesterday marked one year hear at AU and I guess maybe I read to many threads :loll: but now with AU I know almost every station code :eek: Well at least the more used ones. The hardest ones are for thuruway connections..

I prefer spelling out the stations rather than the 3-letter code
As everybody knows, I take crazy routings! :p My trip back east in March could be written this way

PDX-SAC-MTZ-SAC-CHI-CVS-NOL-SAS-CHI-WAS-KIN
or this way (it's the same thing)

Portland, OR - Sacramento, CA - Martinez, CA - Sacramento, CA - Chicago, IL - Charlottesville, VA - New Orleans, NO - San Antonio, TX - Chicago, IL - Washington, DC - Kingston, RI
Sorry - I abbreviated the states!

And also, many of the station names that are used for Amtrak just happen to be the same as airport codes for those same cities! They include (among others)

• BOS
  • PVD
  • PHL
  • STL
  • LAX
  • SLC
  • DEN
  • PDX
  • SEA

And then there is the airport at Sioux City, IA. It's been stuck with this code: SUX :lol: I think if I were among the good citizens of Sioux City, I'd be wanting to change that.
If you think that SUX, how about if you lived in Fresno, California? :huh: The airport code is FAT! :eek:

OK, here's a start at a useful-for-newcomers list of abbreviations and descriptions. It's not totally comprehensive, but it's a good start.

AMTRAK ABBREVIATIONS

**COMMON TRAIN NAME ABBREVIATIONS**

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

CL = Capitol Limited

CONO = City of New Orleans

EB = Empire Builder

CZ = California Zephyr

SWC = Southwest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

CS = Coast Starlight

NEC = Northeast Corridor

AT = Auto Train

Silvers = Silver Star / Silver Meteor

Other trains aren't abbreviated so often.

**A SELECTION OF MAJOR STATIONS**

BOS = Boston

PVD = Providence RI

NYP = New York City

PHL = Philadelphia

WIL = Wilmington DE

BAL = Baltimore

WAS (also WUS) = Washington, DC

LOR = Lorton VA (Auto Train)

RVR = Richmond VA

CVS = Charlottesville VA

SAN = Sanford FL (Auto Train)

JAX = Jacksonville FL

MIA = Miami

TPA = Tampa

ALB = Rensselaer NY (Albany)

HAR = Harrisburg PA

PGH = Pittsburgh

CHI (also CUS) = Chicago

MKE = Milwaukee

MSP = Minneapolis/St Paul

STL = St Louis

KCY = Kansas City

NOL = New Orleans

SAS = San Antonio TX

DEN = Denver

SLC = Salt Lake City

LAX = Los Angeles

EMY = Emeryville CA (San Francisco)

SAC = Sacramento

SPK = Spokane WA

PDX = Portland OR

SEA = Seattle

For a complete list of station abbreviations, visit List_of_Amtrak_station_codes

**PRIMARY PASSENGER LOCOMOTIVES**

P42 = standard long-distance diesel locomotive, nationwide; introduced 1996; numbered 1-207

F59PHI = diesel locomotives in service on California and Cascades routes; introduced 1998; numbered 450-470

HHP8 = newer electric locomotive, in service on Northeast Corridor and Keystone Corridor; introduced 2000; numbered 650-664

P32 = dual-mode diesel/electric locomotives, in use on the Empire Service; introduced 1995; numbered 700-717

P40 = previous long-distance diesel locomotive; introduced 1993, mostly retired by 2003; numbered 800-843

AEM7 = old workhorse electric locomotive, Northeast Corridor (also called "toasters"); introduced 1980; numbered 900-953

Cab Car = from the outside, looks like a coach with yellow and black stripes on one end; inside, functions as a coach but with a small locomotive cab at the end allowing for full train control with the cab car in the lead; used on corridor services like the Keystone with an electric motor on one end and a cab car on the other, allowing for operation in both directions without needing to turn the train around

Cabbage = from the outside, looks like an old diesel locomotive with a baggage door cut into the side of it; the locomotive cab allows for operation of a locomotive at the other end of the train allowing for operation in both directions without needing to turn the train around; the engine has been removed and the empty space is used for baggage ("cab" + "baggage" = "cabbage")

**SOME TYPES OF PASSENGER CARS**

CCC = Cross Country Cafe, Superliner food service car recently reconfigured to provide dual meal and lounge duties (often the subject of controversy on this board)

SSL = Sightseer Lounge, Superliner car with enormous windows available to all passengers, with a cafe downstairs (sometimes called an "observation car", not to be confused with the traditional definition of "observation car" to refer to the final cars on old passenger trains with either an open-air platform or rounded-end)

PPC = Pacific Parlor Car, not technically a Superliner car but the same height and two-level, lounge and food service car reserved for sleeper passengers, only runs on the Coast Starlight

TransDorm = Superliner car designed to house the crew, but which often also houses some passengers, the key feature of which is that it has a Superliner-level door on one end and a single-level door on the other end (also called "transition sleeper")

Heritage = cars Amtrak acquired from other railroads in the 1970s upon and just after its creation, most of which are now retired with the exception of single-level dining cars and baggage cars

Amfleet (AMF) = single-level cars, recognizable by their round, fluted bodies; AMF I cars are intended for shorter distances, while AMF II cars are more comfortable and intended for longer distances; there are also AMF Cafes and Business Class cars of several configurations

Viewliner = single-level sleeping cars currently in service, recognizable by their tall profile and second level of windows on half the car; there is also one Viewliner diner soon to be in service, and there are many new Viewliner sleepers and diners about to be ordered for introduction to service around, perhaps, 2012-14

Horizon = single-level coach and cafe cars, largely in service in the Midwest, recognizable by their flat smooth sides, and generally considered cars of highly inferior construction

Superliner = the bi-level fleet in service on almost all long-distance routes not passing through or into New York City (due to height restrictions); there are Superliner coaches, lounges, diners, cross country cafes, transition dorms, sleepers, and deluxe sleepers

Hi-Level = an older generation of bi-level cars, all now retired except for the Pacific Parlor Cars in service on the Coast Starlight

California Cars = bi-level cars very similar to Superliners but designed for shorter distance travel, in use on California corridor services

Talgos = trainsets manufactured by Talgo in use on the Cascades

Acela = "high-speed" trainsets in use on the Northeast Corridor capable of operation at 150mph on a few stretches of track but restricted along most of their route to 125mph or below just like every other Northeast Corridor train due to track conditions, featuring large windows, spacious seating, and a very smooth ride

**TYPES OF SEATING**

on non-Acela trains

Coach = basic seat accommodation

BC = Business Class, an upgrade generally involving a larger, comfier seat in a quieter environment, with at least one free non-alcoholic beverage and sometimes other perks

on Acela trains

BC = Business Class, the *basic* seat accommodation (there is no "Coach" on Acela), much nicer than Coach on other trains, some seats have tables, but there are no free drinks here

FC = First Class, an upgrade giving not only a much comfier and more spacious seat but also free at-seat hot meal service and unlimited alcohol

**TYPES OF FOOD SERVICE**

Superliner Dining Car = Superliner dining cars with booth seating through the entire top level of the car (except for a service station in the center) with a full kitchen on the lower level, offering full-service meals prepared in the kitchen by a chef with a grill and convection oven

Cross Country Cafe (CCC) = Superliner food service car offering full-service meals on one end of the top level and lounge/cafe service on the other end, with a kitchen on the lower level; these cars were created by modifying Superliner Dining Cars

Heritage Dining Car = single-level dining cars, built in the 1940s-50s, with a full kitchen at one end of the car and booth seating at the other, offering full-service meals prepared in the kitchen by a chef with a grill and convection oven

Diner Lite = single-level food service car offering full-service meals on one end of the car and lounge/cafe service on the other end, with a small galley in the middle; meals are prepared over a steam tray allowing for extremely limited on-board cooking

Pacific Parlor Car (PPC) = bi-level lounge and food service car reserved for sleeper passengers, only runs on the Coast Starlight, offers full-service meals prepared in the dining car kitchen but from a slightly different menu

Cafe = Amfleet cafe, Horizon cafe, or the lower level cafe in a Superliner Sightseer Lounge, sells snacks, drinks (including alcohol), microwaved sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs, muffins, and other pre-prepared foods, as well as a few non-food items like playing cards; has booth seating

Bistro Car = unique name for the cafe food-service car on the Cascades (Talgo), which features unique menu items like hot soup and local microbrewery beers

State-sponsored trains sometimes have different cafe car offerings and are notably the only Amtrak trains on which you might find Coca-Cola products for sale.

**SLEEPING CAR ACCOMMODATIONS**

Visit Amtrak's Superliner Sleeper Virtual Tour and Amtrak's Viewliner Sleeper Virtual Tour for marvelous walkthroughs and descriptions of all accommodations.

**CREW JOB TITLES AND ROLES**

T&E Crew = Train & Engine Crew, works on strict 8-hour shifts and thus changes several times over the course of a long-distance route

Conductor = in charge of the entire train, most visible to passengers in his role collecting tickets

AC = Assistant Conductor

Engineer = drives the train, following orders from the Conductor

OBS Crew = On-Board Services Crew, which is everyone else, who work the entire route, sleeping onboard

LSA = Lead Service Attendant, in charge of the OBS crew; on long-distance trains, most often this is the dining car steward, and on trains without a dining car it is the cafe attendant

Steward = Dining Car Supervisor

Chef = Dining Car chef

TA = Train Attendant, general term covering the rest of OBS

SA = Service Attendant, dining car wait staff

TAC = Train Attendant Coach (also called "Coach Attendant" on this board)

TASC = Train Attendant Sleeping Car (more often called SCA, "Sleeping Car Attendant", on this board)

**OTHER TRAIN-RELATED ABBREVIATIONS AND TERMS COMMONLY SEEN HERE**

HEP = Head End Power, the means by which electricity powering the passenger cars comes from a generator in one of the locomotives and is passed through the entire train through special coupling cables; older heritage cars didn't use this method, and those still in service had to be modified; Amtrak passenger locomotives can provide HEP, but most freight locomotives are not set up to do this

Varnish = privately owned passenger cars sometimes seen attached to the end of Amtrak trains; often luxuriously appointed old cars, some with vista-domes or observation platforms

Budd = manufacturer of many of the most durable passenger cars in America, including the Amfleets and much of the Heritage Dining Car fleet; sadly long out-of-business

Wayman, what a brilliant work of art.

The OP (orignal poster) owes you dinner----for about a month!!!

In fact I think we all owe you dinner. I, for one, am going to print this out for my own use.

Also, in skimmg through it I notice your reference to the sightseer lounge with your clarification about the use of the term "observation car". As you may have picked up on, that is one of my sticking points.

I prefer spelling out the stations rather than the 3-letter code
As everybody knows, I take crazy routings! :p My trip back east in March could be written this way

PDX-SAC-MTZ-SAC-CHI-CVS-NOL-SAS-CHI-WAS-KIN
or this way (it's the same thing)

Portland, OR - Sacramento, CA - Martinez, CA - Sacramento, CA - Chicago, IL - Charlottesville, VA - New Orleans, NO - San Antonio, TX - Chicago, IL - Washington, DC - Kingston, RI
Your first list with the abbreviations is a mystery to me and there is no way I am going to take time to look all that up. You second list is WAY better and much more informative and interesting to read.

Actually, Wayman I think varnish originally referred to passenger trains as such, as opposed to freight trains.

Private cars from the era when the word varnish was still used a lot came to be called "private'' varnish.

But it is that it is a passenger car that makes it varnish , not the fact that if is private.The fact that the word varnish is now otherwise out of date sort of confuses the point I am trying to make.

Hope I am making some sense.

I, too, prefer the station spelled out. I know it's hard work to hit those extra keys, but if I don't know the station, I just ignore the post.

THANKS wayman and everyone else that took the time to post. Much appreciated. :)

As for the month of dinners Bill Haithcoat says I owe, well that might just break the bank. :rolleyes:

But I am sending you a BIG THANKS!!!!!! :D

Hate to correct you on a generally good job but:

P32 = dual-mode diesel/electric locomotives, in use on the Empire Service; introduced 1995; numbered 700-717
When I refer to "P32" I'm not referring to that engine, which is the P32ACDM. I'm generally referring to the OTHER P32, the P32BWH, AKA P32-8 and Dash 8-32BWH. That engine is not dual mode, and is basically a 4-axle 3200bhp GE dash-8 freight locomotive equipped with HEP and geared for passenger service. These were labeled 500 to 519. All of them are in service, though 2 are owned by California. They are generally used for switching, although they still can be found on the road

P40 = previous long-distance diesel locomotive; introduced 1993, mostly retired by 2003; numbered 800-843
They weren't retired. Some were sold, notably to NJT and CDOT, but mostly they were stored dead, and some will soon be refurbished.

Cab Car = from the outside, looks like a coach with yellow and black stripes on one end; inside, functions as a coach but with a small locomotive cab at the end allowing for full train control with the cab car in the lead; used on corridor services like the Keystone with an electric motor on one end and a cab car on the other, allowing for operation in both directions without needing to turn the train around
It is used, to my knowledge, exclusively on the Keystones. They are not Amfleets, they are based off the Metroliners. They are, therefore, Heritage cars.

Hi-Level = an PPC = Pacific Parlor Car, not technically a Superliner car but the same height and two-level, lounge and food service car reserved for sleeper passengers, only runs on the Coast Starlight
The PPC is not a Superliner, no. It is a Heritage car.

Heritage = cars Amtrak acquired from other railroads in the 1970s upon and just after its creation, most of which are now retired with the exception of single-level dining cars and baggage cars
Also, the ex-Metroliner cab cars, and the PPC cars.

Viewliner = single-level sleeping cars currently in service, recognizable by their tall profile and second level of windows on half the car; there is also one Viewliner diner soon to be in service, and there are many new Viewliner sleepers and diners about to be ordered for introduction to service around, perhaps, 2012-14
The Viewliner is the name for the bodyshell on which those cars are built. All cars currently in service are sleepers. Two additional prototype sleepers were built but are out of service, as well as a diner. The Viewliner is not a type of sleeper exclusively.

Horizon = single-level coach and cafe cars, largely in service in the Midwest, recognizable by their flat smooth sides, and generally considered cars of highly inferior construction
I think you're misreading me. Its not their construction, its their design. They work great in NJ Transit, Metro-North and (in EMU form) SEPTA service. They are not designed for inter-city service in the cold.

Hi-Level = an older generation of bi-level cars, all now retired except for the Pacific Parlor Cars in service on the Coast Starlight
Its a Heritage car.

Heritage Dining Car = single-level dining cars, built in the 1940s-50s, with a full kitchen at one end of the car and booth seating at the other, offering full-service meals prepared in the kitchen by a chef with a grill and convection oven
They also have a regular oven and a stove at their disposal.

Diner Lite = single-level food service car offering full-service meals on one end of the car and lounge/cafe service on the other end, with a small galley in the middle; meals are prepared over a steam tray allowing for extremely limited on-board cooking
What? A steam table (not tray) is not a cooking device. It is a device used to keep hot food hot. Side dishes are kept in them and dished out to the pre-plated main courses.

T&E Crew = Train & Engine Crew, works on strict 8-hour shifts and thus changes several times over the course of a long-distance route
While they are generally scheduled for less than 8 hours, they can and sometimes do work up to 12.

LSA = Lead Service Attendant, in charge of the OBS crew; on long-distance trains, most often this is the dining car steward, and on trains without a dining car it is the cafe attendant
No. Its any service attendant that has the capacity to handle money and sell alcohol. There are two on most LD trains, one in the diner and one in the cafe. The one in the diner is usually the more senior and thus in charge.

TASC = Train Attendant Sleeping Car
Just TAS- Train Attendant Sleeper

HEP = Head End Power, the means by which electricity powering the passenger cars comes from a generator in one of the locomotives and is passed through the entire train through special coupling cables; older heritage cars didn't use this method, and those still in service had to be modified; Amtrak passenger locomotives can provide HEP, but most freight locomotives are not set up to do this
All Heritage cars use HEP. Heritage cars went through the Heritage program to handle HEP. The cars that didn't are simply "Inherited"

One small correction:

SAN is San Diego, not Sanford Auto Train.

SFA is Sanford Auto Train.

SFD was the (now closed because the building basically fell down) Sanford "Depot" station for the Silvers. Folks who need to get to Sanford on the Silvers now have to either get off at Deland or Winter Park, FL station stops.

OK, here's a start at a useful-for-newcomers list of abbreviations and descriptions. It's not totally comprehensive, but it's a good start.

Thanks so much for this list. Very educational for new folks.

on Acela trainsBC = Business Class, the *basic* seat accommodation (there is no "Coach" on Acela), much nicer than Coach on other trains, some seats have tables, but there are no free drinks here

FC = First Class, an upgrade giving not only a much comfier and more spacious seat but also free at-seat hot meal service and unlimited alcohol

FC Acela "unlimited alcohol"????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back