About Amtrak's Sunnyside Yard.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there at Sunnyside Yard I can find Amtrak's P32AC-DMs AEM7s,HHP-8s NJ Transit Passager Cars and LIRR and what else can I find at Sunnyside Yard? :)

Well you won't find any LIRR trains or cars in Sunnyside yard. LIRR trains do run by the yard on their way into Penn, but at present they are not stored in the yard. In fact most of the yard does not have third rail.

Two or three years in the future, once the East Side Access project is completed then you might see LIRR trains in the newly rebuilt back section of the Sunnyside yard. They won't however be in Amtrak's portion of the yard.

As for the yard itself in addition to what you mentioned, you'll find a couple of switchers, E60's, Viewliner sleepers, lounge cars, diners, various types of single level coaches, and the ocasional Acela Express trains. Note: Acela's are never stored overnight in this yard. At least I've never seen any stored here overnight. Any train ending in NY is deadheaded back to the 30th Street yard in Philly for the night.

Amtrak Railfan said:
How many days will the people in jail 30 days? :eek:
Why Amtrak Railfan, would you be willing to have a criminal record just to see sunnyside.

The only solution I could think of is to see if you (or a group) could arrange to have a tour of it through Amtrak. It probably wouldn't work, but maybe someone else could have a better idea of this.

Out of curioustity, I wonder who I would call to set something like that up. I doubt if Julie could be of much help in this :lol: .

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Out of curioustity, I wonder who I would call to set something like that up. I doubt if Julie could be of much help in this :lol: .
I don't know if it's even possible to arrange such a thing and I doubt that they would even consider such a request, unless you were with a group. Even then with current security, I doubt that they would grant such access.

Now for the frequencies for the RR's around town, just check out this page from Kevin Korell's (aka. Superliner Diner) Applefest pages.

I could only see large, wel known, rail organization groups getting tours of facilities and yards. Like B-51 on his trip to Baltimore and got to see the Bear maintainence facility.

Amfleet said:
I could only see large, wel known, rail organization groups getting tours of facilities and yards. Like B-51 on his trip to Baltimore and got to see the Bear maintainence facility.
And security at Bear is not what it is here in NY. In fact NYC is still at alert level Orange, while the rest of the country is at Yellow.

We've been on Orange since 9/11 and have never once gone down from that level.

Like B-51 on his trip to Baltimore and got to see the Bear maintainence facility.
Correction on that my friend, it was Wilmington shops, not Bear. Amtrak maintains two facilities in Wilmington, locomotive shops and car shops. The Locomotive shops are refered to as Wilmington Shops, car shops as Bear shops. But as far as security was concerned it's not really rocket science what they're doing in there. They change traction motors, rebuild engines, etc. You can get a better education on locomotives via the internet than you could with the tour I went on. :lol:

Sunnyside can fix small things in both Amtrak cars and electric locomotives. Sunnyside however is not a heavy maintenence facility, those responsibilities fall to Bear, Wilmington, and Beech Grove.

battalion51 said:
Sunnyside can fix small things in both Amtrak cars and electric locomotives. Sunnyside however is not a heavy maintenence facility, those responsibilities fall to Bear, Wilmington, and Beech Grove.
They however do a great job with eggs! Guess which kind they specialize in. :lol: :D :)

Well, I just returned from NY and I was not able to find time to get over to Sunnyside this trip. Im curious, what kind of switchers do they normally use here?

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Im curious, what kind of switchers do they normally use here?
Sorry, I don't really know. While I see them often, I failed locomotive identification 101. So I couldn't tell you what models are there. :(

When the Passagers are off on a Amtrak Train at New York Penn Station is the Train will stay at the Station?

Sunnyside has hundreds of tracks, and probably about 100 miles of it. I think Sunnyside uses a couple of SSB1200's and AEM-7DC's for switching duties.

battalion51 said:
Sunnyside has hundreds of tracks, and probably about 100 miles of it.
In its hay day maybe it had that many tracks, now that's no longer true. I think that the main coach yard has maybe 32 - 35 storage tracks. Then there is a smaller yard north-west of the main coach yard. This probably has about 20 maybe another 30 tracks. A few tracks inside the shops, the loop tracks around the complex and the yard leads. That's about it for tracks.

What was originally the MU yards (it later became a freight yard), is now gone. All tracks have been ripped up in preperation for the Eastside Access Project. I believe that eventually the LIRR will put some midday storage tracks back in this area, but I'm not sure.

Then of course there is the 8-track main running by the yard.

There is almost always some catenary maintenance equipment in the yard, unless it's out working. Frequently there are some track maintenance cars in the yard too.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Well, I just returned from NY and I was not able to find time to get over to Sunnyside this trip. Im curious, what kind of switchers do they normally use here?
While it's hardly a scientific survey, I noticed three switchers sitting in the yard today when I went by on the LIRR. I don't know if these are the only ones they have nor do I know if they use them regularly.

While I couldn't catch the number on the third unit, here's the other two.

#774 an EMD GP9u

#552 an EMD SSB 1200

If I can catch more numbers later then I'll update this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back