About the Dorm Lounge Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Railfan said:
How many Amtrak workers ride the Dorm Lounge Cars?
That simply depends on how many workers are on the train. The number of workers goes up as the train gets longer and goes down as the train gets shorter.

I believe the maximum number of employees that can stay in the Dorm Lounge cars is 10. A normal single level train will have 3 Dining Car Attendants, 2 Chefs, 1 Lounge Attendant, and 1 Coach Attendant, a total of 7, who will sleep in the dorm.

Most trains actually work with at least two coach attendants (some trains like the LSL may even have 3). But there are indeed ten rooms, the LSA's usually have top pick on the room that they want.

Amtrak Railfan said:
How old is the Dorm Lounge Cars?
They are amongst the oldest cars that Amtrak owns, since all the dorm cars came from the freight RR's before Amtrak was formed. That makes them all over 30 years old and some are probably even older.

AlanB said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
How old is the Dorm Lounge Cars?
They are amongst the oldest cars that Amtrak owns, since all the dorm cars came from the freight RR's before Amtrak was formed. That makes them all over 30 years old and some are probably even older.
They are more like 40-60 years old.

60's pushing it, that'd place their build date at 1943 :eek: . Most of the baggae cars (former ATSF and UP coaches) were built between 1953 and 1961, so 40-50 is a better range.

Most if not all of the 10-6 Sleepers which are now Dorm-Lounge cars are of Union Pacific heritage. That should put them at a build date of 1946 or so.

I have copies of Amtrak's internal daily A-Report which lists the types of cars on the roster, out-of-service, in preventative maintainence, etc. Surprisingly, as of the last report all dorm-lounges were in service. I was expecting to see some shopped or in standby.

Amfleet Fan said:
Most if not all of the 10-6 Sleepers which are now Dorm-Lounge cars are of Union Pacific heritage. That should put them at a build date of 1946 or so.
According to some info posted by OTOL about a 9 months ago, 15 of the currently active dorms are from UP. The other 10 active cars came from the ATSF.

Amfleet said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
How many Dorm Lounge Cars are in the Blue Paint?
Your question doesn't make sense? Amtrak does not paint any of their cars "blue". If you mean how many dorm cars are in Phase IV, then all of them are.
Be careful -- not all "paint" is really paint. Often they stick decals over the last ones. You can see it when it peels off after a few runs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both Union Pacific and Santa Fe were two of the more "pro-passenger" railroads around. That makes it entirely possible that some of this equipment may been from the 50's, as they were ordering equipment then after most lines had stopped in the late 40's. Santa Fe even orderded some equipment in the the 60's, I believe.

I may have the resources at home to get the exact dates...if so, will share the info tomorrow.

Also keep in mind, when thinking about pre-Amtrak streamined equipment, that there was a break, i.e. WW2. Nothing was built during that period, (though it was needed very badly) 1942-1945. First cars began rolling out in 1946.

The 10-6 was primarily built to a UP spec, I'll have to check on the exact build dates for these.

Amtrak workers like to call the area where the passenger lounge should have been the "Dance Floor" in the Dorm cars.

Amtrak Railfan said:
I like this Dorm Lounge Cars and how about you do you like this cars?
I doubt that most of us have really ridden in them (during their service as Dorms) for a long enough period of time to make that decision... :unsure:

The Dorms are really old, and arenot as comfortable riding as one might expect. The wasted space on the A-end of the cars makes them a real dud in my book.

Does the Dorm Lounge Car can be seen all the time on the Silver Star Trains? Because I saw a video on the web of the Silver Star Train without a Dorm Lounge Car.

The Dorm is almost always on Silver Service. Now granted there are ocassions where there will be a B/O'd Dorm and there are no replacements in yard. In this scenario a Viewliner will usually pinch hit for the Dorm, but not all the time. All Amtrak's obligated to do is give each crew member a room, that's it. If they have the room in the revenue sleepers for the entire crew, that will happen.

What if you run into a situation, like during a busy travel period, where all rooms are booked solid for the entire trip and there is no avalible dorm or sleeper in the yard. Will Amtrak bump passengers into coach for the crew or will the crew have to ride it out in coach. I'm sure this must be layed out in some sort of union thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back