ABQ to San Fransciso

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redsandal

Planning a trip from ABQ to San Francisco this summer. When putting SF in as my destination, several stations are listed. Not sure which one is best. Also, would like to know which is the best route/train to take from LAX as I think I need to take the SW Chief from ABQ to LAX then something else from LAX to SF. Any advise on SF is much appreciated. Thanks!

From ABQ to SF, it would be the SWC to LA and then the CS to OKJ and a Thruway bus across the bay to SF. Returning, you would take a Thruway bus to EMY, a SJ to BFD, a Thruway bus to LA and then the SWC back to ABQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
From ABQ to SF, it would be the SWC to LA and then the CS to OKJ and a Thruway bus across the bay to SF. Returning, you would take a Thruway bus to EMY, a SJ to BFD, a Thruway bus to LA and then the SWC back to ABQ.

Yuk, that's a lot of bus! Doesn't the CS return the same way?

Yes it does. But the problem is the CS arrives into LAX ~9 PM and the SWC departs LAX ~6:30 PM. So unless you want to stay over in LA, you need to take the bus combo!
oh...well that explains that. I definitely dont' want to spend the night in LA! Thanks so much for the info!

Hi,

The nearest rail station to San Francisco is Emeryville, code EMY. From there Amtrak provide a bus service to take you into San Francisco itself. You can choose which place to get off the bus, depending on where you need to be. The service runs in reverse too to take folk from the city out to EMY. Fishermans wharf is a popular destination, I think the bus stop is called Ferry Building.

You can get a train all the way from LAX to EMY, the Coast Starlight, or you can get an Amtrak bus from LAX to Bakersfield then go on by train. I can't say for sure without looking up the timetables about the best options. The bus and train should be quicker, but not so much fun for us train enthusiasts!

Ed :cool:

Yes it does. But the problem is the CS arrives into LAX ~9 PM and the SWC departs LAX ~6:30 PM. So unless you want to stay over in LA, you need to take the bus combo!
oh...well that explains that. I definitely dont' want to spend the night in LA! Thanks so much for the info!
These California bus-train-bus combos are well set up, used by a lot of people, and fairly painless. We have used the northern portion of this, bus over the bay to the San Joaquin train quite a bit and never any problem with it. They are guranteed connections, so if one is late, the other will wait, so no worries.

Hi,

The nearest rail station to San Francisco is Emeryville, code EMY. From there Amtrak provide a bus service to take you into San Francisco itself. You can choose which place to get off the bus, depending on where you need to be. The service runs in reverse too to take folk from the city out to EMY. Fishermans wharf is a popular destination, I think the bus stop is called Ferry Building.

You can get a train all the way from LAX to EMY, the Coast Starlight, or you can get an Amtrak bus from LAX to Bakersfield then go on by train. I can't say for sure without looking up the timetables about the best options. The bus and train should be quicker, but not so much fun for us train enthusiasts!

Ed :cool:
Aloha

Another Option is get off the train in Oakland and take the ferry across the bay to SF. At the time I was there the ferry fare included a transfer to the SF Transit. The ferry docked in Oakland about 3 blocks from the train station.

If you have checked baggage (especially on the return), chose SFC (the Ferry Building). This is the only stop that had checked baggage service, a ticket counter, a waiting room, etc... - all the other "stops" are just that - bus stops! I don't know for sure, but if the driver does not see anyone standing at the "bus stop" sigh as (s)he passes, (s)he may not even stop!
ohmy.gif
But they do for certain at SFC.

There is a bus that originates at the Caltrain station at 4th and King. The bus is pulled up on the Townsend Street side at the appropriate times.

The Ferry Building station is NOT in the Ferry Building, itself. It is about a block south of the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero. The waiting room is on the back side of the building. The bus pulls up on the street in front of the building. There are a couple of benches there, and usually several people there when bus time approaches. The area is as safe as any area in a big city can be. Well lighted open area. If you want to go to Pier 39, I can't really help with the details there. In fact, I don't even know where the bus stop there is exactly. The Pier 39 area is TOURISTY, and I do mean all caps touristy.

Really, there's no reason not to use the Ferry Building (SFC) stop. It's the only place with checked luggage, and it's also really well-positioned in terms of transit. You're right at the end of Market Street, near the end of several useful Muni bus lines and the F streetcar and just a block from the Embarcadero Muni/BART station.

This is all if you're staying in The City, however. If you're staying in the East Bay, I recommend detraining at Richmond (no checked luggage) and grabbing BART there. (The Amtrak and BART station are one and the same.) If you're staying on the Peninsula, detrain at San Jose and take Caltrain up. (Once again, Amtrak and Caltrain stop at the same station.)

As far as your options from LAX-SFC, you basically have two choices- the Coast Starlight or the San Joaquins service. The Starlight is a beautiful trip, and is all one long-distance, comfy Superliner train, but it's almost precisely 12 hours- getting you in to the Bay Area around 10pm. The San Joaquins are much quicker, with #715 getting you in to town just past 7pm, but the scenery is somewhat less than ideal. (Endless farms and mostly small towns.) There is also a 3-ish hour bus ride between LA and Bakersfield- the buses are clean and comfy, and the connection is guaranteed- eg, the train will wait for the bus if it is late- but some people really dislike riding buses. I also believe there is a slight price difference between the two options.

Aloha

Another Option is get off the train in Oakland and take the ferry across the bay to SF. At the time I was there the ferry fare included a transfer to the SF Transit. The ferry docked in Oakland about 3 blocks from the train station.
The Alameda-Oakland Ferry runs on a relatively limited schedule. You can't catch it off the Starlight, but you could catch it off the San Joaquins on weekdays only. Also, transfers to Muni (SF's transit system) are only included for holders of weekly or monthly passes, though all tickets include a transfer to AC Transit (the East Bay bus operator).

Last edited by a moderator:
The key question is "where are you going once you get to San Francisco?". Then we can offer some advice. The bus from Emeryville is fast and painless, and the first stop is SFF at a hotel with a decent cab line waiting. It's also close to BART. If you are heading to the East Bay you will want to do something different.

Check out the San Joaquin schedule from SF to LA- faster by a few hours than the Coast Starlate, although there is a bus leg from Bakersfield to LA- a painless 2 hours. I really enjoyed an overnight in LA. We stayed at the Miyako-

http://www.miyakoinn.com/

Not extortionate, close to Union Station, and in a good neighborhood with lots of stuff to look at. Downtown LA is well worth a visit.

Check out the San Joaquin schedule from SF to LA- faster by a few hours than the Coast Starlate, although there is a bus leg from Bakersfield to LA- a painless 2 hours. I really enjoyed an overnight in LA. We stayed at the Miyako-

http://www.miyakoinn.com/

Not extortionate, close to Union Station, and in a good neighborhood with lots of stuff to look at. Downtown LA is well worth a visit.
Thanks for the info. Also wondering which stop in SF is best. I really want to take the CS to travel up the coast, but notice that it gets into SF in the middle of the night. There are so many stations and as I am not familiar w/ any of them, which is best? Do plan to visit Fisherman's warf, but wondered about the other stations. May also consider San Joaquin either coming or going. Notice that it, too, has several stops in SF.

thanks so much for all the info. we are planning a vacation and for sure want to visit fisherman's warf and china town. other recommendations would be most welcome. we might also like to see the muir woods. any ideas how to work that in? hotel recommendations?

The only "real" stop (with a waiting room, ticket agent, checked baggage service, rest rooms, etc...) in San Francisco is at the Ferry Building (SFC). All the other bus stops are just that - bus stops with a sign! Unless you are certain of your hotel's location, you may want to go to SFC and take either mass transit or a cab from there. (Especially on the way back if you have any checked baggage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back