Absolutely Ridiculous NYT Article

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Did anyone read the anti-Amtrak article in the New York Times this past Saturday? It is on page A27. The article is absolutely ridiculous and is completely against Amtrak, stating that there are the "Trolls on the Tracks". I am so mad I can hardly type right now... :angry: I will wait and see if anyone else read it before typing anymore. I tell ya, the one quote that really sets me off, is when the author, John Tierney, states that Amtrak "is about as vital to America's transportation system as horse-drawn carriages are to New York's".

I saw the article, and like you was irritated by its arguments. For those who didn't see it, the Times published a contributed Op-Ed titled "The Troll on the Tracks". You need to be a Times-Select member to view it on-line. It is on the Op-Ed page, and so does not (necessarily) represent the views of the paper. On Nov 10, they published an editorial expressing the opposite viewpoint (titled: A Disgraceful Signal at Amtrak). That one is available for free on the Times website.

I guess, while I disagree with the contents of the Saturday op-ed, I don't fault the paper for publishing it. They did publish both sides of the issue, and opinions are what the Op-Ed page is for. Anyway, I have faith that the majority of readers of the 'Paper of Record' are wise (or liberal) enough to see through the arguments in Saturdays op-ed.

That last statement is not meant as an attack on people in other parts of the country - I truely think it is representive of the Times readership, and New Yorkers in general, and also belive that the NY Times is the Paper of Record.

Here is the article:

15 November 2005 - New York Times

November 12, 2005

By JOHN TIERNEY

Amtrak`s president was fired this week, which was good news for those of us who love trains and want a reformer in charge of the railroad. Yet members of Congress along the Northeast Corridor immediately denounced the firing.

One obvious reason is that these politicians are indebted to Amtrak`s unions, which want no part of reform. But there also seems to be a more baffling reason. Northeastern politicians actually like the railroad the way it is. After being held captive for decades by Amtrak, they`re suffering from the Stockholm syndrome.

Before he was fired, David Gunn ran Amtrak according to the same principles of his predecessors. Amtrak was created to be a for-profit private corporation, but it instead went into the red by running unprofitable long-distance trains while stinting on service and maintenance for the Northeast Corridor, the route that makes the most economic sense.

When the White House or Congress balked at covering the annual losses, Gunn and his predecessors resorted to extortion. They ritually set a date and threatened to shut down Amtrak at midnight if the ransom wasn`t paid.

It has always been a powerful threat, but not because the nation depends on Amtrak`s trains. They`re about as vital to America`s transportation system as horse-drawn carriages are to New York`s. The railroad share of the intercity travel market has been falling for half a century and is now less than half of 1 percent.

No, what makes the threat powerful is the chokehold that Amtrak has on other railroads. Commuter trains, which carry nearly 20 times as many passengers as Amtrak does, would be crippled by an Amtrak shutdown in the many cities where they use tracks and stations owned by Amtrak, including New York and much of the Northeast, as well as Chicago and San Francisco. Thanks to its power to strand hundreds of thousands of commuters, Amtrak is the troll on the tracks.

Los Angeles and Boston used to be hostage to Amtrak`s annual threats because it operated their commuter trains, but they had the sense to free themselves by switching to other operators. You`d think Northeastern politicians would yearn for similar relief, but they`ve rebuffed the White House`s offers.

The Bush administration proposed disarming Amtrak by giving away its tracks and stations in the Northeast Corridor to a new public agency, run by the states. While Amtrak stuck to running trains, this new agency would get money from Washington to rehabilitate the tracks neglected by Amtrak, and then the tracks would eventually be open to other railroads, too.

This is hardly a radical idea for transportation. The Northeast Corridor tracks, instead of being an Amtrak fief, could be like a highway or an airport: a regional public facility used by a variety of public and private carriers. Amtrak and other railroads would compete to run passenger trains, maybe with the help of further subsidies from taxpayers, although an efficient railroad might well be able to operate profitably.

It`s difficult, of course, to imagine Amtrak ever turning a profit at anything. Even though it has a captive audience of customers for meals and drinks aboard the trains, it collects only $1 in revenue for every $2 that it spends on its food service, according to a new report by the Government Accountability Office. The report forecast that the railroad`s operating losses would increase by 40 percent in the next four years.

Gunn, brought in as a turnaround expert, was fired by Bush appointees on the Amtrak board. They criticized him for inept management and reluctance to pursue their plan to make the Northeast Corridor an independent entity. The firing was immediately questioned by senators like Tom Carper of Delaware and Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer of New York.

Carper called the firing ``further proof that the Bush administration doesn`t want Amtrak to succeed.`` Schumer made the same point: ``The policy difference is that the board wants to kill Amtrak, and Gunn wants it to prosper. It`s that simple.``

Well, he`s right about it being a simple policy difference. The Bush administration, in an unexpected bit of benevolence toward voters in blue states, is trying to rebuild the Northeast Corridor, improve service and remove Amtrak`s power to shut down the system. The senators along the corridor are focused strictly on protecting Amtrak. They`ve been held hostage so long they can`t imagine life without their captor.

I do remember being particularly irked with the "an unexpected bit of benevolence toward voters in blue states" statement, which seems to suggest that regions that didn't vote for the current administration shouldn't be considered in policy and bugetary matters. Unfortunately, I think that view is becoming more prevalent on both sides of the aisle.

Back