Accommodations limited from AGR use?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tony

Well, I finally have enough points to book a one-way roomette on the Silvers. So, I went onto the AGR website, and clicked on the redeem points for Amtrak travel.

That took me to a special reservation window on Amtrak.com. I entered the date I wanted to travel. It told me that only coach was still available; that all other accommodations have been sold out.

OK, let me try another date.

That too had all accommodations sold out.

I tried all sorts of other dates around my original date for travel. All of them sold out too.

Out of desperation and curiosity, the last date I tried was June 11, 2009, trying to pick a date far out. And, yep, all accommodations other than coach seats were sold out.

So, I closed that window, and went onto the regular Amtrak.com website. On there, I had no problem selecting a roomette for June 11, 2009.

This leaves to wonder, are there only a few roomettes (like just 1 ?) made available for AGR point redemption on each train?

Tony,

As best I know, as long as accomodations are available for sale, they are available for redemption as well.

HOWEVER, in order to redeem for sleeping car accomodations, you can NOT redeem through the website. You must call AGR to make your redemption. It specifically says so on the AGR website.

So fear not, call away, redeem your points, and enjoy your journey!

The great thing about an AGR award is that THERE ARE NO CAPS ON AWARDS! If a room or seat is available on the train, you got it! (Even if it's the last room or seat on the train! I made an award reservation for a trip, and I got the very last room ON 2 SEPARATE TRAINS for the same award level as anyone else! B))

I don't know specifically about the online redemption, because I've never used it, but I know there are 3 restrictions for it's use:

1. You can only book direct trains online
  2. You can not book more than 1 train (connections) online, and
  3. You can not book SLEEPER ACCOMMODATIONS online.

A roomette is a sleeper accommodation! You MUST call AGR to book it!

Correct, sleepers can only be booked with a phone call.
My thanks to for all the replies!

However, I have to say with a certain amount of frustration, why doesn't the amtrak.com website say that when I attempted to make a reservation, instead of "SOLD OUT" ??? :angry:

However, I have to say with a certain amount of frustration, why doesn't the amtrak.com website say that when I attempted to make a reservation, instead of "SOLD OUT" ??? :angry:
It may not say it per se on that screen, but on the initial screen where it gives the choice to book reward travel online, it DOES say the following - right above the link:

Now, you can book most reward trips through Amtrak.com. (Two reservations are required for roundtrip travel. Sleeping accommodations and travel requiring connecting trains are not currently redeemable online. Blackouts apply to reward travel).

It may not say it per se on that screen, but on the initial screen where it gives the choice to book reward travel online, it DOES say the following - right above the link:
Now, you can book most reward trips through Amtrak.com. (Two reservations are required for roundtrip travel. Sleeping accommodations and travel requiring connecting trains are not currently redeemable online. Blackouts apply to reward travel).
I should have paid more attention to the small print. Yea, all I read was:

Redeem Points for Amtrak Rewards

Ready to book your next trip? Choose your destination and redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards® points for free Amtrak rewards. Now you can book your reward travel online, anytime!

(bla bla bla)

Go to Amtrak.com to book your trip using your points. Amtrak.com

Back