Accomodations near SLC station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal

Conductor
I didn't want to hijack the other thread re: SLC, so here's a new one.

Are there affordable and comfortable accomodations anywhere near the SLC station? I'll be arriving on the CZ from DEN and will have a car to pick up at the nearby Avis at 7 or 8 am but need a place to get a good night's sleep. I'm fine with Motel 6 or mom-n-pop accomodations (even hostels will do), so it doesn't need to be the Ritz Carlton or anything.

I've been through the SLC airport three times, and on two occasions, I was able to get out of the airport and explore. The first time, I took the LDS church's shuttle van to Temple Square and checked out most of that, and the second time, I drove through the area (saw the capitol building, the new city library, and then drove up to Park City).

I have two things I wanted to see on my to-do list in the area (Promontory Point and the Bonneville salt flats) before heading down to St. George and then working my way east through the various parks on my way back to DEN. But as far as other things to see in SLC itself, I'm pretty clueless. Anything I should be aware of?

TIA!

I enjoyed staying at the Shilo Inn, which is downtown and not too far away.

The Sate Capitol is a beautiful building. The Utah Historical Society maintains an interesting history museum in the former Rio Grande Station (there is a good Mexican restaurant there as well). Quite stunning with stained glass and ornate ceilings is the former Union Pacific station located a few blocks away at the beginning of the light rail line. It is the entrance to a nice shopping center, the Gateway. Naturaly, Temple Square has quite a history. On Thursday evenings you can attend a rehearsal of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. On Sunday mornings you can attend a choir concert (Music and the Spoken Word). On most days, there is an organ concert at Noon. The Beehive House is beautifully restored. All tours and concerts are free. Naturally, you'll expect and get a good deal of church promotion unless you are an LDS member. Even though not a Momon, I still enjoyed my visit to Temple Square. One more interesting shopping area is Trolley Square, the former trolley barn. Outside there is one streetcar which is now a bar serving microbrew beers. Inside one can dine in an old streetcar at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Have a great trip!

Jeff Geldner

Yosemite National Park, California

Are there affordable and comfortable accomodations anywhere near the SLC station? I'll be arriving on the CZ from DEN and will have a car to pick up at the nearby Avis at 7 or 8 am but need a place to get a good night's sleep. I'm fine with Motel 6 or mom-n-pop accomodations (even hostels will do), so it doesn't need to be the Ritz Carlton or anything.

I've been through the SLC airport three times, and on two occasions, I was able to get out of the airport and explore. The first time, I took the LDS church's shuttle van to Temple Square and checked out most of that, and the second time, I drove through the area (saw the capitol building, the new city library, and then drove up to Park City).

I have two things I wanted to see on my to-do list in the area (Promontory Point and the Bonneville salt flats) before heading down to St. George and then working my way east through the various parks on my way back to DEN. But as far as other things to see in SLC itself, I'm pretty clueless. Anything I should be aware of?

TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Thanks for the recommendations.

I did see the Tabernacle, Assembly Hall, and the Beehive House last time I was through. The huge conference center was closed both times I was there (the first for LDS president Faust's funeral and the second in preparation for some event), so I'd like to see that. In addition, the actual capitol building was closed, though I wandered the grounds and went into the two administrative buildings behind it. If the capitol building itself is open again (they were renovating it when I was there in January), I'll probably stop back by. (I've tried to see as many capitol buildings as I can!)

I'll check out the other sites you mentioned. Once I leave Salt Lake itself, I'm not exactly sure what my path will be, but I'll have a rental car and will be doing a one-way trip from SLC to DEN. As I mentioned, I'll probably head north towards Promontory Point, and then cut around the western side of the lake for the Bonneville salt flats. After that, I suppose I'll pretty much head south, probably by Great Basin National Park (I collect National Park stamps) and then down to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and then into Colorado (I have to decide what's worth seeing at that point--there's so much in the area!) before heading to DEN. I have five and a half days with the car, so hopefully I can cram it all in!

According to a Google Map I drew, it's 50 hours of driving...in 5 days! I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut some stuff out (though I'd really like to actually add in a side trip to Monument Valley), but I do enjoy driving and I love to drive cross-country--Los Angeles to Missouri in 1.75 days is an easy trip for me...

Does anyone have any recommendations along or around that itinerary?

I enjoyed staying at the Shilo Inn, which is downtown and not too far away.The Sate Capitol is a beautiful building. The Utah Historical Society maintains an interesting history museum in the former Rio Grande Station (there is a good Mexican restaurant there as well). Quite stunning with stained glass and ornate ceilings is the former Union Pacific station located a few blocks away at the beginning of the light rail line. It is the entrance to a nice shopping center, the Gateway. Naturaly, Temple Square has quite a history. On Thursday evenings you can attend a rehearsal of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. On Sunday mornings you can attend a choir concert (Music and the Spoken Word). On most days, there is an organ concert at Noon. The Beehive House is beautifully restored. All tours and concerts are free. Naturally, you'll expect and get a good deal of church promotion unless you are an LDS member. Even though not a Momon, I still enjoyed my visit to Temple Square. One more interesting shopping area is Trolley Square, the former trolley barn. Outside there is one streetcar which is now a bar serving microbrew beers. Inside one can dine in an old streetcar at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Have a great trip!

Jeff Geldner

Yosemite National Park, California

TIA!

According to a Google Map I drew, it's 50 hours of driving...in 5 days! I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut some stuff out (though I'd really like to actually add in a side trip to Monument Valley), but I do enjoy driving and I love to drive cross-country--Los Angeles to Missouri in 1.75 days is an easy trip for me...
Monument Valley is pretty great. One change you might consider is after leaving Capitol Reef NP, heading south on UT 95 to Natural Bridges NM. There's a nice loop around it and is pretty neat and takes about an hour, plus more if you do some hiking. From there go south on UT 261, on the Moki Dugway. Sounds like you enjoy driving, and going down the series of steep switchbacks, 1100 foot drop in 3 miles on gravel, might appeal to you. It does to me! That leads you right to Monument Valley. From there you can take US 160 over to Mesa Verde NP. On the way, you'll pass by Four Corners. Of course, this routing skips Canyonlands NP, and I'm not sure how important that is to you.

http://www.midwestroads.com/otherstates/mokidugway/

How did you choose Canyonlands NP over Arches NP? If you're still going to make it to the Moab area, I'd say go to Arches NP over Canyonlands NP. I like them both, but Arches NP has more of a "different" environment than you'll see elsewhere. It has all those arches and the red rocks and smooth rocks. A hike out to Delicate Arch is a must. Go right at dawn if you can. Canyonlands NP is also neat, but after a while all those canyon vistas out west get to be the same.

Mesa Verde NP is very neat. I loved walking through the cliff dwellings. But make sure you budget enough time there; it takes a long while to drive up there from Cortez. Give yourself at least two hours round trip from Cortez to the top of Mesa Verde NP and back. And then you'll want at least one hour for being up there.

Between Mesa Verde NP and Montrose, I'd recommend going through Durango and up US 550. Spectacular mountain driving. I think there are three passes above 10,000 feet. Try to drive it during a low traffic time of day if you can though.

Colorado NM is worth a drive through as you go through Grand Junction. Shouldn't take much more than a half-hour extra if you don't make any stops there.

At Glenwood Springs, if you haven't driven through Glenwood Canyon on I-70, do it. That's the last segment of I-70 that was completed (in the early 1990's) and is an engineering marvel. It should be a half-hour out-and-back from Glenwood Springs to Dotero.

At Colorado Springs, a trip up Pike's Peak is a nice thrill ride.

It is quite out of the way, but I really enjoyed Great Sand Dunes NP. It is another unique environment. And if you hike to the top of the big dune, that's quite a bit of exercise too!

Enjoy your trip!

Whew--thanks for the tips!

I've done a quick drive through the area before (a few years ago with my grandfather). On that trip, we hit the following sites you mentioned:

• Four Corners (separate trip--when I was 8 or so)
  • Natural Bridges NM
  • Durango/Silverton
  • Great Sand Dunes NP (we hiked out to the dunes, but not up them--my grandpa's older and not in the best physical shape!)
I didn't mention Arches in my post (dumb omission), but I did include it in my map (or at least the map has me drive by it--I did intend to stop there). Not sure if I can be picky or choosy about the time of day I stop there, though!

It's a lot of driving, and the driving alone would be manageable in the time I have...I'm just concerned that I'll go somewhere and find it so utterly stunning that I stay for a long time...and then I'll have less time to drive! (But that's how road trips go...) I guess if I run out of time, I just hit I-70 and hightail it to DEN for my flight. I can always go back, I guess... :D

I will definitely incorporate your suggestions! Thanks for the post!

Monument Valley is pretty great. One change you might consider is after leaving Capitol Reef NP, heading south on UT 95 to Natural Bridges NM. There's a nice loop around it and is pretty neat and takes about an hour, plus more if you do some hiking. From there go south on UT 261, on the Moki Dugway. Sounds like you enjoy driving, and going down the series of steep switchbacks, 1100 foot drop in 3 miles on gravel, might appeal to you. It does to me! That leads you right to Monument Valley. From there you can take US 160 over to Mesa Verde NP. On the way, you'll pass by Four Corners. Of course, this routing skips Canyonlands NP, and I'm not sure how important that is to you.

http://www.midwestroads.com/otherstates/mokidugway/

How did you choose Canyonlands NP over Arches NP? If you're still going to make it to the Moab area, I'd say go to Arches NP over Canyonlands NP. I like them both, but Arches NP has more of a "different" environment than you'll see elsewhere. It has all those arches and the red rocks and smooth rocks. A hike out to Delicate Arch is a must. Go right at dawn if you can. Canyonlands NP is also neat, but after a while all those canyon vistas out west get to be the same.

Mesa Verde NP is very neat. I loved walking through the cliff dwellings. But make sure you budget enough time there; it takes a long while to drive up there from Cortez. Give yourself at least two hours round trip from Cortez to the top of Mesa Verde NP and back. And then you'll want at least one hour for being up there.

Between Mesa Verde NP and Montrose, I'd recommend going through Durango and up US 550. Spectacular mountain driving. I think there are three passes above 10,000 feet. Try to drive it during a low traffic time of day if you can though.

Colorado NM is worth a drive through as you go through Grand Junction. Shouldn't take much more than a half-hour extra if you don't make any stops there.

At Glenwood Springs, if you haven't driven through Glenwood Canyon on I-70, do it. That's the last segment of I-70 that was completed (in the early 1990's) and is an engineering marvel. It should be a half-hour out-and-back from Glenwood Springs to Dotero.

At Colorado Springs, a trip up Pike's Peak is a nice thrill ride.

It is quite out of the way, but I really enjoyed Great Sand Dunes NP. It is another unique environment. And if you hike to the top of the big dune, that's quite a bit of exercise too!

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Jackal! I hope that you have a wonderful stay in SLC. I think it's a fantastic place, but I AM Mormon. One thing that my non-Mormon extended family members really enjoy is going to the Family History Library, which is basically just west of the Tabernacle. It is outside of the walls of Temple Square and you'll need to cross the street, but you'll find it staffed with lots of very nice volunteers who will gladly help you research your geneology. I can get carried away and spend hours there though, so it's a good choice if the weather is poor. I don't remember if I saw when you are traveling, but if it's in the next little bit, you owe yourself a walk through the Temple Square grounds again. In my opinion, spring is the most beautiful season that there is. Also, be sure to try to visit the Conference Center. They offer guided tours and there is artwork that is not to be missed. Some of it is Mormon-specific, but there are many pieces from non-LDS artists. Also, they'll take you up to the rooftop gardens and you'll get a beautiful view of SLC. And, if you haven't taken in the visitors centers, you should definitely visit at least the west visitors center as they have a marvelous 3d representation of Jerusalem at the time of Christ. Even my young kids enjoy that! If you have time to take in lunch at Temple Square, you might enjoy the Lion House. It is a part of the Beehive House, which I saw that you've visited. It is cafeteria style, but the food is generally fantastic, and in my opinion, the rolls are the best anywhere!

If you're looking to head out of the city, Thanksgiving Point is a lot of fun. They have beautiful gardens, shops and even a dinosaur museum. I would say that it is about 25 minutes south of SLC, but it is just west of the freeway (very easy access) and along the same exit as Cabelas. Come to think of it, that's a fun thing to see also. Not at the top of my list, but definitely at the top of all of the male members of my family!

-Crissie

Hey there,

Cool places to visit. I plan on spending 2 weeks in similar area this summer and may have to push a bit to see all we want to see.

These are the places we plan on seeing...

North Rim of Grand Canyon--great views, few people and one of the nicest places to camp anywhere. (I would not recommend it so highly to non campers. It is still nice but the camping experience there is wonderful)

Zion NP--lower elevation and a bit of water so my kids will enjoy the warmth by cooling off in the Virgin River.

Bryce NP--more like N Rim of GC in elevation(8-9K) and good for some enjoyable sightseeing

Cedar City--They have a Shakespeare festival in the summer and put on quality shows. I hope we can see one or two. I think the URL for there is www.bard.org or similar.

Capitol Reef NP--Nice park. WE were there once after a shower and the waterfalls off the rocks were really cool.

Canyonlands NP--nice canyons. Lots of eagles when we were there.

Arches NP--nice views.

Mesa Verde NP--warm w/o much shade so not the best camping spot in summer. But, nice to see the Indian cave dwellings.

To me this seems ambitious for 2 weeks of camping. Not sure if we will cut some places out or try to extend to 3 weeks.

I am not sure where Escalante-Grand Staircase is. I know the drive from Bryce east to Capitol Reef was really cool though.

DanO

Hmm.

I just went to book a room at the Shilo and it's going for $119 per night (cheapest non-association rate). I don't mind paying $119/night if I'm getting $119/night's worth of value, but I'm not sure the Shilo's worth that.

I'm not too demanding with my hotel/motel needs: I'm perfectly happy in a Motel 6 or Super 8 (as long as it's clean and the bed's not too lumpy) or even a hostel (in fact, one of the best beds I've slept in was in the Hilltop Hostel in Takoma Park, MD, near DC and literally across the street from the Takoma Park Red Line station--talk about convenient and a deal!).

Conversely, I can and do appreciate elegance and service, and indeed, last time I flew to CLT, I took advantage of a screamin' $149 web special rate (actually upgraded $20 to the deluxe King room) at the Biltmore Inn on the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, which I found serves the world's best omelette for breakfast (normal price for that room is at least $400). But I have to get a great deal in order to justify splurging.

Basically, I've nailed myself down as this: I like to save money where possible, but I'm not a cheap person; what I look for is the best value, bang for the buck, or cost-to-benefit ratio. If a $20 youth hostel is worth, to me, $20, I'm satisfied with the 1:1 ratio. But if I find a Ritz Carlton for $100 and I deem it worth $300, a 3:1 benefit-to-cost ratio is hard for me to pass up. Conversely, if the Hilton Old Town Alexandria goes for $400 per night on a weeknight and I deem it worth $100 per night (which I do), the 1:4 benefit-to-cost ratio leaves me regretting the purchase.

So, here's what I've found in SLC in reasonable distance from the Amtrak station that jumped out at me:

Motel 6 Downtown: $49.99

Super 8 Downtown: $53

Plaza Hotel at Temple Square: manager's special at $79 (normally $179, I guess)

Metropolitan Inn: $75 (new boutique hotel with TempurPedic mattresses?)

Homewood Suites: $174 (literally across from Amtrak--maybe, see below--and usually very nice, but certainly not worth more than the Biltmore!)

First problem: where the heck exactly is the SLC Amtrak station? Amtrak.com says it's at 340 South 600 West. Google Maps has an icon for it across the street from Pioneer Park on 400 West between 300 South and 400 South. And if you search for a business on Google Maps and type in Amtrak, it spits back an address of 320 S. Rio Grande St. All three are in different locations--near each other, but several blocks apart. And to top it all off, none of them looks like an Amtrak station in the satellite imagery! (340 South 600 West is the closest one to the railroad tracks, but unless Amtrak's SLC station is an unmanned platform with a tiny parking lot next to a rail yard, I'm not sure that's it.) So, calculating distances to places to stay is difficult.

Anyway, given all that, Motel 6 is obviously the cheapest, but it ranges from a moderate walk (or short cab ride) from one of the potential Amtrak stops to a fairly substantial walk from the others. And Motel 6 can be hit or miss, sometimes--anyone know about this particular one? (Also, I get conflicting information about Motel 6's address from the Motel 6 website, Google Maps, and Kayak...but...nevermind about that.)

Super 8 is usually a half a step above Motel 6, so I would definitely consider that, too, if anyone knows about that. It's a tad farther away than Motel 6, so I'd probably end up having to take a cab.

Oh, before I go any farther, is the area the Amtrak station is in (wherever it ends up being) safe to walk around at night (after the westbound CZ arrives)?

Third, the Plaza Hotel gets a three-star rating but only half-decent reviews (but remember, my standards are fairly low). For that price, though, I'm thinking that it's a good deal and at least one or two steps above the Motel 6 or Super 8 (with free WiFi, too--a big bonus), so I went ahead and booked it (I can always cancel, though). It's also close enough to two of the three Amtrak station location possibilities to walk if the area is safe--but the picture also has TRAX tracks in front of the hotel, so how close is TRAX to the Amtrak station and how late does it run? That would make the decision pretty dang easy...

Metropolitan is west of the Plaza on North Temple about a half a mile, and I can't remember if TRAX runs down North Temple--but if so, and if it's running, that's a possibility, too (ooh...TempurPedic beds...). $75 sounds like a great rate, and if it's a really neat little place that should be running for $150 per night or something, that piques my value/bang-for-the-buck radar.

Finally, Homewood Suites hotels are very nice and offer a nice continental breakfast. But I'm only staying there from the arrival of the (potentially-late) CZ until about 8am or so when I go over to Avis down the street to pick up my rental car. No sense wasting $174 on such a short stay...and I'm not sure it's worth $100 more than the Plaza or Metropolitan. I'd probably book it if it were $120, making the benefit-to-cost ratio smaller than 1:1 and therefore a negative for me.

Anyone have any ideas on how to help me navigate this (both figuratively and literally :lol: )?

Jackal,

I believe there's a hostel in SLC as well! If you are doing any sightseeing and trip acrossed it, let me know what its like! One is called "The Avenues Hostel" and the other is the "The Ute Hostel".

Jackal,I believe there's a hostel in SLC as well! If you are doing any sightseeing and trip acrossed it, let me know what its like! One is called "The Avenues Hostel" and the other is the "The Ute Hostel".
I'll see...but I have to cover 2,000 miles of driving in five days, so I won't have much time for checking things out! :lol:

Actually, I did consider looking into hostels for this night, but I figured especially if the CZ is delayed, I might arrive past curfew and be locked out (nevermind the chance that the hostels probably aren't anywhere near the Amtrak station...though I haven't looked).

Actually, I have another question for anyone who wants to try to answer it: I'll be arriving in DEN by plane around 7pm or so. How do I get into the city without a rental car (since the light rail out to DEN hasn't been built yet) and does anyone have any recommendations for a place to stay there that provides relatively easy access to the Amtrak station for my morning CZ departure--especially now that you know my hotel preferences? :lol: (A hostel might work better in DEN...but if there's something with a private room for not much more than a hostel, I'll gladly take that...)

The rest of the nights, I figure I'll just do the American road trip thing and look for roadside motels built in the '50s with neon signs in the small towns I drive through...those are the best kind! :lol:

I don't know where the SLC station is now. When I was there a few years ago, it was on S Rio Grande, but I hear it moved (or is going to move) to a combined transportation location that is being built. I hear right now, it is a temporary location. But, when I was there, the tracks curved at that location away from downtown - one side heading south and the other side heading west.

I don't know where the SLC station is now. When I was there a few years ago, it was on S Rio Grande, but I hear it moved (or is going to move) to a combined transportation location that is being built. I hear right now, it is a temporary location. But, when I was there, the tracks curved at that location away from downtown - one side heading south and the other side heading west.
The new intermodal station is only about 40 to 50 yards away from the current Amtrak station. Trax does not serve the current Amtrak station, but does serve the new intermodal station. Looks like the last train out leaves just before midnight though.

Hmm.
I just went to book a room at the Shilo and it's going for $119 per night (cheapest non-association rate). I don't mind paying $119/night if I'm getting $119/night's worth of value, but I'm not sure the Shilo's worth that.

I'm not too demanding with my hotel/motel needs: I'm perfectly happy in a Motel 6 or Super 8 (as long as it's clean and the bed's not too lumpy) or even a hostel (in fact, one of the best beds I've slept in was in the Hilltop Hostel in Takoma Park, MD, near DC and literally across the street from the Takoma Park Red Line station--talk about convenient and a deal!).

Conversely, I can and do appreciate elegance and service, and indeed, last time I flew to CLT, I took advantage of a screamin' $149 web special rate (actually upgraded $20 to the deluxe King room) at the Biltmore Inn on the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, which I found serves the world's best omelette for breakfast (normal price for that room is at least $400). But I have to get a great deal in order to justify splurging.

Basically, I've nailed myself down as this: I like to save money where possible, but I'm not a cheap person; what I look for is the best value, bang for the buck, or cost-to-benefit ratio. If a $20 youth hostel is worth, to me, $20, I'm satisfied with the 1:1 ratio. But if I find a Ritz Carlton for $100 and I deem it worth $300, a 3:1 benefit-to-cost ratio is hard for me to pass up. Conversely, if the Hilton Old Town Alexandria goes for $400 per night on a weeknight and I deem it worth $100 per night (which I do), the 1:4 benefit-to-cost ratio leaves me regretting the purchase.

So, here's what I've found in SLC in reasonable distance from the Amtrak station that jumped out at me:

Motel 6 Downtown: $49.99

Super 8 Downtown: $53

Plaza Hotel at Temple Square: manager's special at $79 (normally $179, I guess)

Metropolitan Inn: $75 (new boutique hotel with TempurPedic mattresses?)

Homewood Suites: $174 (literally across from Amtrak--maybe, see below--and usually very nice, but certainly not worth more than the Biltmore!)

First problem: where the heck exactly is the SLC Amtrak station? Amtrak.com says it's at 340 South 600 West. Google Maps has an icon for it across the street from Pioneer Park on 400 West between 300 South and 400 South. And if you search for a business on Google Maps and type in Amtrak, it spits back an address of 320 S. Rio Grande St. All three are in different locations--near each other, but several blocks apart. And to top it all off, none of them looks like an Amtrak station in the satellite imagery! (340 South 600 West is the closest one to the railroad tracks, but unless Amtrak's SLC station is an unmanned platform with a tiny parking lot next to a rail yard, I'm not sure that's it.) So, calculating distances to places to stay is difficult.

Anyway, given all that, Motel 6 is obviously the cheapest, but it ranges from a moderate walk (or short cab ride) from one of the potential Amtrak stops to a fairly substantial walk from the others. And Motel 6 can be hit or miss, sometimes--anyone know about this particular one? (Also, I get conflicting information about Motel 6's address from the Motel 6 website, Google Maps, and Kayak...but...nevermind about that.)

Super 8 is usually a half a step above Motel 6, so I would definitely consider that, too, if anyone knows about that. It's a tad farther away than Motel 6, so I'd probably end up having to take a cab.

Oh, before I go any farther, is the area the Amtrak station is in (wherever it ends up being) safe to walk around at night (after the westbound CZ arrives)?

Third, the Plaza Hotel gets a three-star rating but only half-decent reviews (but remember, my standards are fairly low). For that price, though, I'm thinking that it's a good deal and at least one or two steps above the Motel 6 or Super 8 (with free WiFi, too--a big bonus), so I went ahead and booked it (I can always cancel, though). It's also close enough to two of the three Amtrak station location possibilities to walk if the area is safe--but the picture also has TRAX tracks in front of the hotel, so how close is TRAX to the Amtrak station and how late does it run? That would make the decision pretty dang easy...

Metropolitan is west of the Plaza on North Temple about a half a mile, and I can't remember if TRAX runs down North Temple--but if so, and if it's running, that's a possibility, too (ooh...TempurPedic beds...). $75 sounds like a great rate, and if it's a really neat little place that should be running for $150 per night or something, that piques my value/bang-for-the-buck radar.

Finally, Homewood Suites hotels are very nice and offer a nice continental breakfast. But I'm only staying there from the arrival of the (potentially-late) CZ until about 8am or so when I go over to Avis down the street to pick up my rental car. No sense wasting $174 on such a short stay...and I'm not sure it's worth $100 more than the Plaza or Metropolitan. I'd probably book it if it were $120, making the benefit-to-cost ratio smaller than 1:1 and therefore a negative for me.

Anyone have any ideas on how to help me navigate this (both figuratively and literally :lol: )?
As for the Amtrak station, it's going to depend on WHEN you are traveling. The Intermodal hub is open and running, but I do not think Amtrak stops there ... yet. I'm not sure when the change over is supposed to happen. Once there, then Trax will be right there for you to catch BUT it does not run in the wee hours of the morning, so really for the arrival at 4am or so, Trax is not an option (You might be able to catch it with the 11pm arrival but I would not bet on it, especially if you are delayed). So you are probably looking at a cab ride.

Of the hotels you mentioned... I've not stayed at any of them. I drive by the Motel 6 almost every day and it does not look too bad and it's ALWAYS busy (so I would get a reservation for sure!). If I was trying to save a buck or two, I'd probably stay there.

I'm trying to remember if I drive by the Super 8.... They tend to be hit and miss. Another good choice (though a bit further away) is the Little America Hotel. I see it's available at $99. It's a 4 star and I think it deserves it .... It's big brother the Grand America is a 5 star, across the street that is simply spectacular. If you want a great hotel experience, stay there. Still, given your plans, that is probably not what you are really looking for.

Other hotels I've stayed in in SLC are the Radisson (I see it available for $98). It's in a very good location and it's a nice hotel. I recommend it. They were doing some rennovation there, so I'm not sure if the $99 gets you a new room or an old one.

Also the Marriott downtown is very nice, but tends to be higher end dollar wise (and frankly, I didn't think it was any nicer than the Radisson).

HTH...

RF

This link should take you to the Amtrak station in SLC. Once the map appears, click the bird's eye function to get a better view of things. The new station is just above/north of the Amtrak station where there is a bus in the parking lot.

This link should take you to the Amtrak station in SLC. Once the map appears, click the bird's eye function to get a better view of things. The new station is just above/north of the Amtrak station where there is a bus in the parking lot.
Now, why didn't I think of that? :)

I believe I watched a History or Discovery Channel ( travel?) story about an island on Salt Lake where they are raising buffalo or bison and other park preservation projects! Or am I thinking of some where else? <_<

I believe I watched a History or Discovery Channel ( travel?) story about an island on Salt Lake where they are raising buffalo or bison and other park preservation projects! Or am I thinking of some where else? <_<
Antelope island is what you speak of...

Antelope Island

Kinda funny to come across this post... because I just got back from a trip from Chicago to Salt Lake City.

I had Mon-Wed off work and did a trip on the Zephyr... leaving CHI on Monday and getting to SLC at 11PM on Tuesday night.

I got up early Wed AM and rented a car... did some sight-seeing... and flew back to Chicago late Wed night.

I stayed at the LaQuinta Airport on Tue night/Wed AM. I got a deal for $59 through hotwire.com.

I didn't really have any plans set for SLC... so I asked some people from SLC on the train what I should see.

A couple recommended Antalope Island and it was the highlight of my day in Salt Lake... HIGHLY recommended and worth the $9.

I also walked around downtown SLC... it was ok... but be prepared for people to try and convert you to be a Mormon if you go near Temple Square.

As for the Amtrak station, it's going to depend on WHEN you are traveling. The Intermodal hub is open and running, but I do not think Amtrak stops there ... yet. I'm not sure when the change over is supposed to happen. Once there, then Trax will be right there for you to catch BUT it does not run in the wee hours of the morning, so really for the arrival at 4am or so, Trax is not an option (You might be able to catch it with the 11pm arrival but I would not bet on it, especially if you are delayed). So you are probably looking at a cab ride.
Of the hotels you mentioned... I've not stayed at any of them. I drive by the Motel 6 almost every day and it does not look too bad and it's ALWAYS busy (so I would get a reservation for sure!). If I was trying to save a buck or two, I'd probably stay there.

I'm trying to remember if I drive by the Super 8.... They tend to be hit and miss. Another good choice (though a bit further away) is the Little America Hotel. I see it's available at $99. It's a 4 star and I think it deserves it .... It's big brother the Grand America is a 5 star, across the street that is simply spectacular. If you want a great hotel experience, stay there. Still, given your plans, that is probably not what you are really looking for.

Other hotels I've stayed in in SLC are the Radisson (I see it available for $98). It's in a very good location and it's a nice hotel. I recommend it. They were doing some rennovation there, so I'm not sure if the $99 gets you a new room or an old one.

Also the Marriott downtown is very nice, but tends to be higher end dollar wise (and frankly, I didn't think it was any nicer than the Radisson).

HTH...

RF
Thanks for the info, Robert!

I thought I put my dates into the OP, but I guess not. I'll be arriving on the westbound CZ May 14 and staying for just the one night.

Will have to look into those other hotels...

Also I've already been to Temple Square twice, though there were a few things I could go back and look at in more detail, including the geneology center (although I think most of that is available online through the LDS website).

HTH...

RF
Thanks for the info, Robert!

I thought I put my dates into the OP, but I guess not. I'll be arriving on the westbound CZ May 14 and staying for just the one night.

Will have to look into those other hotels...

Also I've already been to Temple Square twice, though there were a few things I could go back and look at in more detail, including the geneology center (although I think most of that is available online through the LDS website).
My daughter and I were in SLC late in April to catch the CZ. We had to ride the very uncivilized Amtrak Thruway service, aka Greyhound in Idaho, so we went to Temple Square to find something good to eat. We decided to splurge and eat at "The Roof" on the top floor of the JS Building and it was fantastic!!!! A little pricey for me, if I were to take the whole family, so I welcomed the opportunity to do it with just 2 of us. It was wonderful food, beautiful piano music in the background and a great view. I would highly recommend it if you have the time. It's served buffet style, but it is very gourmet and high end food. Scrumptious!

-Crissie

Funny. When I went to SLC, the only meal I remember was the worst I ever had. At a diner, a steak that was a small piece of meat inside a hunk of fat. I refused to accept it, it was so bad. Then the waitress was nasty to me. Its one of those times, of the about 5 in my whole life (and I used to eat out frequently) that I decided that no tip was warranted.

I want to go back to SLC some time, though.

Funny. When I went to SLC, the only meal I remember was the worst I ever had.
Aloha

My worst meal was also in SLC at the Holiday Inn, across from the Temple in 1977, around March/April. The cast and crew of Ice Capades stayed there. I will skip the details but I left the waitress a tip of 1 penny under an Upside down glass of water.

Funny. When I went to SLC, the only meal I remember was the worst I ever had. At a diner, a steak that was a small piece of meat inside a hunk of fat. I refused to accept it, it was so bad. Then the waitress was nasty to me. Its one of those times, of the about 5 in my whole life (and I used to eat out frequently) that I decided that no tip was warranted.
I want to go back to SLC some time, though.
GML you come to SLC.... My wife and I will treat you to dinner at the best buffet in SLC, the Roof restaurant!

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back