Acela bonus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at going Acela first class from NYP-PVD on April 14. This earns 2x the ticket cost, or 330 points.

Is there any reason not to book NYP-BOS and get the 750 points instead? It's only $8 more. I presume there's no issue getting off early, and the conductor will have already lifted my ticket.

(I realize there's the issue of whether it's worth it or not vs. business class or regional, but this is the only chance I'm going to get to ride Acela anytime soon, so I thought I'd splurge.)

I'd say go for it! Many, many people do the same thing!
cool.gif

I always book either BOS/BBY/RTE instead of PVD when I am taking the acela, because of the point bonus. It only costs a few dollars (generally under $10) to book all the way to Boston instead of Providence.

I just board in Providence and detrain in Providence. No one has ever said anything to me about the discrepancy in tickets vs. my station stop. I have also never had a problem with the 500 (or 750 in FC) points posting to my AGR account.

What will you be doing in Providence? Have fun! I love our little bitty city here.

Just passing through, I'm afraid. I'm heading out to Wellfleet on the Cape. My family owns a cottage there (used to be my great uncle's house). My sister is flying into PVD. I'll pick her up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have to fly, I don't mind flying out of PVD. It is way more convenient than Logan.

Enjoy the time on the cape! Many don't realize that it can actually be easier to get to the cape from providence than from Boston :)

Yep, it was no problem -- got my 750 points, plus the 750 bonus points for the double points promo, which made it even more worthwhile.

Even after navigating the Ted Williams Tunnel and I-93, Rte. 3 is often a mess getting out of Boston. I-195 is way easier.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Right now the Ted Williams and I-93 connection is sometimes closed at night, too. I had a clusterfvck of a flight situation last month and had to fly to BOS instead of PVD due to some flight cancellations/delays. After my H picked me up at 1:45 AM in Boston, we tried heading south and discovered the exit to I-93 south was CLOSED after we took the Ted williams tunnel. We had to exit I-90 in southie, and luckily we are familiar with the area so knew how to navigate to a different ramp onto I-93 south. But of course there were no detour signs (typical), so anyone from OOT would have been lost and driving through random streets in the middle of the night. :wacko:

Back