Acela, low bucket and availability between BOS-NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOS-T-Time

Train Attendant
Hello,

I noticed that an advanced purchase ticket on the Acela between BOS-NYP is $104 on the low bucket end, and sometimes you can get that fare on the same day of departure. If the fare is $104 on the day of departure is that a good indication that the train is not full or even close to being full? I have seen fares over $200 for the BOS-NYP segement. I was just wondering how Amtrak prices trains out, whether they base their fares on the number of seats left or how far in advance the purchase is made or a combination of both.

thanks,

BOS-T-Time

Hello,

I noticed that an advanced purchase ticket on the Acela between BOS-NYP is $104 on the low bucket end, and sometimes you can get that fare on the same day of departure. If the fare is $104 on the day of departure is that a good indication that the train is not full or even close to being full? I have seen fares over $200 for the BOS-NYP segement. I was just wondering how Amtrak prices trains out, whether they base their fares on the number of seats left or how far in advance the purchase is made or a combination of both.

thanks,

BOS-T-Time
If you can get the $104 fare on day of departure, that is a very good indication that the train is not near being sold out.

The low bucket is normally open on Midday trains for a while.. I've noticed that the low bucket stays open until about a two to three months before travel. Depending on time of travel during the year..

I have noticed much more tinkering of the prices with acela recently. For example, the prices have actually been going down closer to departure on some trains - I assume because they haven't sold as many tickets as they expected and are doing more active price management. It appears that the more popular train times are not necessarily opening up at low bucket.

And yes, $104 is the low bucket NYP - BOS. If a ticket is available at that price, it is an indication to me that the train is nowhere near close to sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back