Acela strikes 3, kills 1 in Providence

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nr272

Service Attendant
http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news...03-13-0024.html

PROVIDENCE - An Amtrak express train struck and killed a worker and seriously injured two others who had been inspecting tracks north of Providence Station on Thursday.
According to Amtrak officials, a northbound Acela train traveling from Washington, D.C. to Boston hit two Amtrak workers and a contractor at about 1:15 p.m.

The injured workers were taken to a hospital and appeared to have serious injuries, officials said. No other information was immediately available on the person who was killed.
edit: title should be strikes 3, not 2

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to fixing the title for you, I have also edited your post to conform with our policy regarding quoting entire stories.

Thanks for posting the story though. :)

Sad part to most of these tragedies is the crew's anguish is hardly ever addressed. I, personally, have been told to take the bloody engines to the round house by a trainmaster and hose off the blood. I cannot, and will not, publish my reply but will say that I went home and didn't sleep for three days.

Sad part to most of these tragedies is the crew's anguish is hardly ever addressed. I, personally, have been told to take the bloody engines to the round house by a trainmaster and hose off the blood. I cannot, and will not, publish my reply but will say that I went home and didn't sleep for three days.
I feel for you guys had8ley,

A few years ago while riding my morning Metra train into work, we struck and killed a man who jumped in front of our train to commit suicide. I'll never forget the sound of the body flying underneath our passenger car and the train's brakes going into emergency. The train sat there for over an hour and it was incredibly quiet. How I felt when this happened has to be magnified about 100 times with you guys and gals up front.

Shortly after a rash of these incidents happened, A Chicago TV Station crew rode for a day with a BNSF crew and not only saw for themselves what the engineers go through, but were in fact, involved in an gradecrossing accident with a car full of teenagers. While there were some injuries, no-one was killed. But the Reporter was really shaken up!

I wonder what went wrong in Providence? And I'll pray for the workers, their families, and the engineer today! :(

Here are a PVD TV news report (with video) and another (with video) about the accident.

I can't say it was a factor, but it happened just off Charles Street, and the tracks at that point are on a curve! This is also within just a mile or so from the PVD station.

My thoughts go to all involved - on the tracks, on the train and in the shops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back