Acela WAS-NYP Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, does the train come on a set track so that I can get a head start (and a good seat?)
No set track, but you can get in line OR you can try to grab a redcap to help you with your bags. You can snag these in WAS, NYP, and BOS. They literally have redcaps and their job is to help pax with luggage. You will need to tip the redcap, I generally do $5 for 1-2 bags.
Since you are boarding a train that originated from Boston, the arrivals board on the small TV monitors around the Amtrak level of NY Penn Station will reveal the track it comes on. Look for the same train number and from Boston. Then you will at least know which track it is on before they announce it. If you are traveling with kids and luggage, the redcap is a good idea since they are radioed the track number before it is announced.

Generally, does the train come on a set track so that I can get a head start (and a good seat?)
No set track, but you can get in line OR you can try to grab a redcap to help you with your bags. You can snag these in WAS, NYP, and BOS. They literally have redcaps and their job is to help pax with luggage. You will need to tip the redcap, I generally do $5 for 1-2 bags.
Since you are boarding a train that originated from Boston, the arrivals board on the small TV monitors around the Amtrak level of NY Penn Station will reveal the track it comes on. Look for the same train number and from Boston. Then you will at least know which track it is on before they announce it. If you are traveling with kids and luggage, the redcap is a good idea since they are radioed the track number before it is announced.
I'm pretty sure my train is originating a NYP.

I also have another question. Will I be able to pick up some breakfast a WAS? On the station's website, it says the store's and the food court open at noon on Sunday. That doesn't sound right, is it?

The stores and food court itself may not open until noon, but there are food options near the gates (Au Bon Pain, McDonalds, and maybe a few others) that are usually open. Au Bon Pain is open 24 hours a day, according to its website.

Actually he can upgrade to first class with any ticket agent before boarding and would no-doubt be preferable than just doing it with the conductor.
Upgrading with a ticket agent most times would not be preferable to doing an onboard upgrade with the conductor. The reason being is that the conductor will only charge you the first class fee. Visiting with a ticket agent prior to departure will result in your railfare jumping to whatever the current bucket price is, along with the addtional fee for first class.

So unless you know for sure that you have a high bucket BC seat, or you are positive that the seats are still selling in the same bucket that you originally purchased your ticket, visiting an agent will result in you paying more for your seat.

Is there any wi-fi available on trains? Sorry for all of the questions :ph34r:
Nope, no wifi (yet--maybe someday). No worries on all the questions--that's what this forum exists for!
Actually I believe that the test train with Wi-Fi is still running with the service, however I wouldn't want to bet on getting that train and one must be sitting in the cars closest to the cafe car to get a signal.

Can you upgrade from Business to First on the Acela with the AGR Select coupons?
Yes, but you must follow the T&C including the fact that there must be a seat available to upgrade into. You must also do it at the ticket counter or by calling the number.

And the fun thing is, you'll get the 750 rail points if you're traveling between the stated city pairs-- that's 250 extra RP for free!
Just to be clear here, since I think that Shanghai was asking if it can be done onboard, the answer is no. The conductor cannot accept the coupon, only a ticket agent can process that coupon.

If you're not in First, I believe there is paid luggage storage available at NYP. Not sure where it is, however.
Day checking of bags in NYP is done at the baggage counter behind Gates 1-4. You'll need a photo ID, an Amtrak ticket, and $5.00 per bag checked.

Is there any wi-fi available on trains? Sorry for all of the questions :ph34r:
Nope, no wifi (yet--maybe someday). No worries on all the questions--that's what this forum exists for!
Actually I believe that the test train with Wi-Fi is still running with the service, however I wouldn't want to bet on getting that train and one must be sitting in the cars closest to the cafe car to get a signal.
Yup, the test train still has Wifi operational on it. As a matter of fact it overtook the ACES train that I was on yesterday, and while it was doing so my iPhone picked up the Wifi from that train and and asked me if I wanted to use it. Naturally that was a fleeting Wifi service since it was gone as soon as the Acela was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back