ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the explination, but one question: Why is all power converted to DC when most of it, the traction component, is then converted back to AC?
What Dutch said. But I can go into a bit more detail. AC traction motors run off *variable frequency* AC and furthermore, controlling the frequency is how you control the speed of the motor. Commercial AC power and AC overhead power is *fixed frequency* (60 Hz for US commercial power and the northern part of the NEC, 25 Hz for the southern part of NEC)
Variable-frequency AC is very different from fixed-frequency AC. The easiest way to convert between the two is to have an intermediate DC stage (since DC doesn't have a frequency).

Here's a report that the two ACS-64s were put on Amtrak #6(25) out of Emeryville today. That means it'll be in Denver tomorrow and Chicago on Thursday.

The engine arrangement is:

AMTK 144

AMTK 608

AMTK 607

AMTK 153

Holy cow, does this mean out of Chicago Friday and arriving here in DC on a Saturday? Weekend deliveries means Ryan can go take pictures. :D
If train 6 left today it will arrive in Chicago at 2:50pm on Thursday (27) but I was checking the OTP during the week and it looks like its been arriving an hour late almost all the time. Train 30 leaves Chicago at 6:40pm on Thursday so I can see them putting those motors on 30 the same day and shipping them over. So the 607 & 608 should arrive into Washington DC on Friday (28).

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow, does this mean out of Chicago Friday and arriving here in DC on a Saturday? Weekend deliveries means Ryan can go take pictures. :D
If train 6 left today it will arrive in Chicago at 2:50pm on Thursday (27) but I was checking the OTP during the week and it looks like its been arriving an hour late almost all the time. Train 30 leaves Chicago at 6:40pm on Thursday so I can see them putting those motors on 30 the same day and shipping them over. So the 607 & 608 should arrive into Washington DC on Friday (28).
Of the 7 units already on the East Coast(600-606), not a single one made the same day turn passing through Chicago. They all overnighted there and went out the next day. If that pattern is followed 607 & 608 would go out on Fridays Capital Limited arriving in WAS on Saturday.

I'm impressed that Amtrak is letting 2 P42's haul 2 ACS' and all those cars.
There's no reason not to, haha. Two gennies have plenty of power (they haul the AutoTrain just fine), and the Zephyr is in off peak season, so it is short one car anyway.

Here's #6(25) passing through Agency, Iowa at one o'clock (three hours and forty-one minutes late).

There's no reason not to, haha. Two gennies have plenty of power (they haul the AutoTrain just fine), and the Zephyr is in off peak season, so it is short one car anyway.
Not suggesting that it can't handle a second electric dead in tow, but the comparison between the Zephyr and Auto Train power-wise is apples and oranges. Auto Train isn't exactly tackling the Sierra Nevadas or the Rockies.

Did anyone hear of the 602 making a test run today? I heard it went out but I'm not sure where, also cab car number 9650 has been done over to run with the ACS.

It started out of dc, I'm asking where did it go from DC?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

The last I heard, 602 was supposed to test out to Harrisburg, not sure if that was the case or not, but that was the last plan I heard.

The last I heard, 602 was supposed to test out to Harrisburg, not sure if that was the case or not, but that was the last plan I heard.
Ive heard the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another video from today that was shared with me, this one filmed in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Also, I've been told that units 609-611 are sitting at the factory ready to go.

Not suggesting that it can't handle a second electric dead in tow, but the comparison between the Zephyr and Auto Train power-wise is apples and oranges. Auto Train isn't exactly tackling the Sierra Nevadas or the Rockies.
Haha, the hyperbole serves its purpose; that's my only point here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back