ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, thanks guys. I have a big day planned tomorrow, but it revolves around the 84/193 rotation and the 184/129 rotation... if 601 is doing something different, that's going to mess with things a bit. We'll see I guess XD.

And about the cruise control question, it'd be kind of weird for someone like me to randomly ask such a specific question in person to someone who doesn't know me, which is kind of why I'm asking here first haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
601 was on the Silver Star today. Perhaps they switched it to long distance duty for the time being... clips soon.

In order:

600 on Northeast Regional Train 184; Trenton Transit Center, 11:45 am.

601 on Silver Star Train 91; Trenton Transit Center, 12:00 pm.

600 on Northeast Regional Train 129; Metropark, 5:15 pm.

It seems that they have moved 601 to the long distance train set rotations for the time being, as it came up from WAS on the Crescent on 3/10/14 and went back down to WAS on the Silver Star today. Word has it that 602 will be seeing service relatively soon.

Really enjoyed hearing the NJT Automated Man announce every single stop on the Silver Star. I've got to get out to Jersey and finally get my first ACS-Sprinter photos.

As mentioned elsewhere, HHP-8 #656 has been pulled and is now stored dead.
I find this (possibly) inappropriately funny, as #656 is the unit Lionel modeled for their Northeast Corridor set. The miniature version is rumored to be "electronically fragile" as it contains custom versions of the company's standard electronics package, and no spares are available (at this point in time) to replace units that fail.

---PCJ, lobbying their biggest competitor MTH to make an ACS-64 :)

Here's AMTK 609 on Amtrak #6(11) just east of Agency, Iowa running eight hours and twenty minutes late:

Still tentative, but there is a chance we may see 602 lead the 20 into NYP this Sunday (3/16), if anyone wants to catch that.

Are there major problems with these units? Mods that aren't working and so can't be accepted to go to Boston, some say they yaw, each locomotive has different computer instructions and thus each acts differently. I hope we don't have another Acela circa 1999.

Are there major problems with these units? Mods that aren't working and so can't be accepted to go to Boston, some say they yaw, each locomotive has different computer instructions and thus each acts differently. I hope we don't have another Acela circa 1999.
There are problems....

From AMTK1007:

13194560015_517d2edec4_c.jpg

The raison d'etre for this thread is the very definition of level 3 :)

The description changes with time. For example, some of us went through the AEM-7 and F40-PH phase of it before some participants in this thread were born :)

So in that foam scale, when a new ACS-64 pulls an LD train with a set of new Viewliner IIs in revenue service for the first time, that would be a Level 4 Foam Alert? Or would it rank higher?

So in that foam scale, when a new ACS-64 pulls an LD train with a set of new Viewliner IIs in revenue service for the first time, that would be a Level 4 Foam Alert? Or would it rank higher?
Should be a level 7 alert due to a new motor and new passenger cars can cause foam storm.

Should be a level 7 alert due to a new motor and new passenger cars can cause foam storm.
Storm of the century! Add Beech Grove and a few famous PVs to the train, and you have a complete apocalypse of foam.

That chart made me laugh. :) I had to look up a couple of the locos, though. Now I understand Level 6 completely.

Back