ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And standardization saves money (lower spare parts inventory, simpler training for maintenance workers, etc) as the ACS-64s replace three different types of locomotives.
AEM-7, HHP-8, and what else? I thought all other electrics except P32s and Acelas were extinct.

664 is the latest on the NEC, I believe. I don't think it's in revenue service yet.
I believe 664 is going to Septic for their review.
Septa?
665 is the highest number on the east coast and 660 is the highest in revenue service.

SEPTA is buying thirteen units so they are borrowing the 664 for a week or two. It is similar to NJT borrowing a MARC AEM-7 to see how they behaved before ordering their ALP-44s.
Any time frame (as in a specific week or two) on the said borrowing of 664? And is it just going to be in test service, or are they going to be audacious enough to use it on a revenue train or two? Trying to gauge whether or not it would be worth it to head down to SEPTIC territory to catch it in action lol.
If I was looking for a specific date, I would only be able to celebrate the hand off every four years. I have no idea what Septic is going to do with it, but it'll be delivered to

18281-WaynesWo-12404048730.71.jpg

:ph34r:
Party Time!! Excellence!!! :)

And standardization saves money (lower spare parts inventory, simpler training for maintenance workers, etc) as the ACS-64s replace three different types of locomotives.
AEM-7, HHP-8, and what else? I thought all other electrics except P32s and Acelas were extinct.
The AEM-7s can be regarded as two types. The original DC units that were not upgraded and the remanufactured (remans for short) AC units which resulted in differences in power systems, maintenance, and parts. So the ACS-64s are consolidating the non-Acela NEC electrics to one type, saving on parts, training, and supposedly on maintenance man-hours. And hopefully, improving overall reliability compared to the HHP-8s and aging AEM-7s.

In the FY16 budget and five year financial plan, it states that it is anticipated that the final unit will be delivered by the end of April 2016. There has been a marked slowdown in deliveries since November with #665 the last unit shipped east. Could be due to Siemens shifting resources to building the Charger diesel locomotives.

The annual debt service costs for the $562.9 million RRIF loan for the ACS-64 order levels out to $36.6 million a year starting in FY2016 in the five year financial plan. it is $36.6 million a year for principal plus interest for FY18, FY19, FY20 and presumably for the next circa 20 years. That is the debt cost that will be charged to the NEC Regionals, Keystones, and LD trains on the NEC for the next several decades.

In the FY16 budget and five year financial plan, it states that it is anticipated that the final unit will be delivered by the end of April 2016. There has been a marked slowdown in deliveries since November with #665 the last unit shipped east. Could be due to Siemens shifting resources to building the Charger diesel locomotives.

The annual debt service costs for the $562.9 million RRIF loan for the ACS-64 order levels out to $36.6 million a year starting in FY2016 in the five year financial plan. it is $36.6 million a year for principal plus interest for FY18, FY19, FY20 and presumably for the next circa 20 years. That is the debt cost that will be charged to the NEC Regionals, Keystones, and LD trains on the NEC for the next several decades.
It seems that AEM-7s are down to about three units. By the time the units that are delivered but not yet comissioned enter service, Amtrak should be able to set aside all AEM-7s. All further ACS-64s on order are really just reserve for future expansion or to use as spare units in case of accidents, maintenance etc. So there being no urgent immediate need for them, it could well be that Amtrak has agreed to production going back burner in favor of the much more urgently needed Chargers.

The AEM-7s can be regarded as two types. The original DC units that were not upgraded and the remanufactured (remans for short) AC units which resulted in differences in power systems, maintenance, and parts. So the ACS-64s are consolidating the non-Acela NEC electrics to one type, saving on parts, training, and supposedly on maintenance man-hours. And hopefully, improving overall reliability compared to the HHP-8s and aging AEM-7s.
Makes sense, I forgot there were really two different AEM-7s rolling around.

I'm curious what people think about "reliability" with regards to the AEM-7s. Do/did they break down a lot or require an abnormal amount of trips to the shop in order to keep running? I heard a lot about reliability problems on the HHP-8s, but not nearly as many it seems on the AEM-7s.

With the AEM-7s, reliability really depended on the specific unit in question. Of course, on a whole, the AC units were more reliable than the DC units, but individually speaking, you had DC units that performed very well, and you had AC units that were crap.

It seems that AEM-7s are down to about three units. By the time the units that are delivered but not yet comissioned enter service, Amtrak should be able to set aside all AEM-7s. All further ACS-64s on order are really just reserve for future expansion or to use as spare units in case of accidents, maintenance etc. So there being no urgent immediate need for them, it could well be that Amtrak has agreed to production going back burner in favor of the much more urgently needed Chargers.
This is pure speculation. But *if true* it would be sensible cash management on Amtrak's part. The Chargers are paid for by state government and reimbursed by the federal government, *and* they have a deadline thanks to ARRA. The Sprinters have no deadline, and are paid for by Amtrak before being reimbursed by the federal government loan, and then Amtrak has to pay interest. Postponing delivery of Sprinters gives Amtrak cash flow, postponing delivery of Chargers does not.
Also, SEPTA is going to receive a bunch of Sprinters, so it's not as if the Sprinter production line can actually be shut down permanently; Siemens has to restart it for SEPTA. If (and this is still hypothetical) Amtrak asked to have its last few Sprinters delivered along with SEPTA's, this would be straightforward for Siemens and good for Amtrak's cashflow.

Do these new locomotives tell the engineer the time and km/h?
What is this Europe?? Time yes.. Kilometers?? Really??

For those who are interested a very reliable source has stated that 664 will be moved to Septic today.
You know, there are lots of very good and highly competent people who work for SEPTA. I've worked with many of them, and consider SEPTA at least the equal of Amtrak for technical ability. They don't deserve that insult over and over and over.

So much for the speculation. Only three more to go.
As I noted in an above post, in the FY16 budget and five year financial plan, it states that it is anticipated that the final unit will be delivered by the end of April 2016. Since Siemens has done a pretty good job of staying on delivery schedule, we are likely to see #670 shipped east in late April which will complete the delivery stage of the contract. Then Amtrak can settle down to pay $36.6 million a year in debt service for the ACS-64s.

There is a report on rr.net that #629, which was damaged in the collision with the car in Rhode Island, has been repaired and will be returning to revenue service soon.

Do these new locomotives tell the engineer the time and km/h?
What is this Europe?? Time yes.. Kilometers?? Really??

For those who are interested a very reliable source has stated that 664 will be moved to Septic today.
You know, there are lots of very good and highly competent people who work for SEPTA. I've worked with many of them, and consider SEPTA at least the equal of Amtrak for technical ability. They don't deserve that insult over and over and over.
True.. But those aren't the people working on the trains, buses, trolleys, subways, etc with the Public everyday.. Those folks are the reason they get the nickname Septic.. The employees that work with the public are a bunch of incompetent morons.. Their have been times where I try to get the bus to the city and it doesn't show up.. The bus after that shows up.

So help me understand how calling SEPTA with a unsavory name helps you communicate that an ACS0-64 is going to SEPTA for test runs. Which part of the message "For those who are interested a very reliable source has stated that 664 will be moved to SEPTA today." would have been inadequately communicated had you not used the derogatory term for SEPTA?

So help me understand how calling SEPTA with a unsavory name helps you communicate that an ACS0-64 is going to SEPTA for test runs. Which part of the message "For those who are interested a very reliable source has stated that 664 will be moved to SEPTA today." would have been inadequately communicated had you not used the derogatory term for SEPTA?

Allow me. SEPTIC was a pretty common nickname that has been handed down. Most of the railroads had nicknames although as the old timers have died off, so did their usage.

It was not uncommon to hear the names SEPTIC, Joisey Twansit, Wrong Island Railroad, PATHetic, the "Shark" trains and Mafia North in the industry. I won't even go into the common name for Norfolk Southern and I've never heard about anyone complaining when someone brings up C(rash) S(pill) X(PLODE).

Let us not forget that the basic nickname for our lovely railroad was AMcrap, which operated the Pigeon, the Late for Sure Limited, the Silver Slug (and this train has apparently been renamed the Silver STARvation...which is CLASSIC :) ), the Crapitol Limited (aka the Capitol Punishment) and the Auto Pain.

While I don't agree with Acela150's characterization of their employees, the nickname has been around for years. It was as common as the buffs on the boards referring to the AEM-7s as "toasters," which is a term the most railroaders never heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back