ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From rr.net:

ApproachMedium: 601 is good, but wont be put on the road just yet until some items are completed. 602 is going to be doing washington to harrisburg testing next week, as long as everything goes as planned. I have no idea if its being done with a cabby car or not.

Any reasons why??
Yes, but I am not telling.....

They did a commisioning run from Boston to Washington today. Have not heard how that went.
Is that because you work for Amtrak? I'm well aware that 601 did a commissioning run. I was avidly trying to go out and get photos. But couldn't for various reasons.

On top of that... 607 and 608 will be delivered soon and will be shuttled east together.

Any reasons why??

They did a commisioning run from Boston to Washington today. Have not heard how that went.
Is that because you work for Amtrak? I'm well aware that 601 did a commissioning run. I was avidly trying to go out and get photos. But couldn't for various reasons.

On top of that... 607 and 608 will be delivered soon and will be shuttled east together.
Two at a time now, huh. Where did you that? I am not doubting it. Anything they can do to get those engines out there as quickly as possible. Just curious

Finally, I get the chance to catch ACS-64 600 myself at Newark Liberty International Airport Station. Here she is in all of her glory:

Any reasons why??

Two at a time now, huh. Where did you that? I am not doubting it. Anything they can do to get those engines out there as quickly as possible. Just curious
Another railroad forum.

In general I don't think they need any additional diesel locos to ferry ACS-64s. There was one that had its own pair because it had to be taken to Hornell, and it traveled by the LSL to Albany and thence to Hornell. I saw that operation too since I happened to be in Albany the day it arrived there. The next day and Empire Service train brought the two diesels back to Albany, and then they headed back to Chicago via LSL as far as I recall.
They actually do need a couple of extra engines when they go grab the engines from Sacramento to bring them down to Oakland. Granted you're talking about two engines for one day, but when the system is stretched to the point where there's not enough power to run trains with the power you're supposed to have, that may be asking a lot to have two engines hanging around to do ferry jobs.

Normally the ACS is attached to the California Zephyr (and Capitol Limited). That works fine with 1 loco. 2 might be too heavy (remember, it's not adding any tractive power, just dead weight). 3 might make the train too long for platforms in addition to being too heavy.
OK, so if they're attached to the CZ and CL when running from Sacramento Station to the East Coast, then the weight would in fact limit the number you want to attach to one train.

However, they still have to be moved by switching locomotive from Siemens's plant (which is south of Sacramento on the line used by the San Joaquins) to Sacramento Station. I doubt that they are picking them up with San Joaquins. This would be a paid freight movement anyway and so you'd expect them to move as many as they can at once. Are they piling up next to the platforms at Sacramento?

The 2 P42s that were used off of today's returning Reno Fun/Snow train will be heading over to Siemens tomorrow to make a pick-up.

Or does UP offer Amtrak a good deal on track access for Amtrak to run its freight from the Siemens plant to Oakland? If so, cool.

The 2 P42s that were used off of today's returning Reno Fun/Snow train will be heading over to Siemens tomorrow to make a pick-up.
Good to know thanks for keeping us Updated! Your intel is a welcome thing here on AU! :)
Monday's lunch special "sandwich" will be:98

Mmmmm sounds tasty
Will these motors get shipped out tomorrow on train 6? I also heard 609 is ready for delivery and 610 is not to far behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know thanks for keeping us Updated! Your intel is a welcome thing here on AU! :)
Monday's lunch special "sandwich" will be:98

Mmmmm sounds tasty
Will these motors get shipped out tomorrow on train 6? I also heard 609 is ready for delivery and 610 is not to far behind.
Tuesday on 6 would be the earliest possibility.

I'm gunna sound a bit stupid but, what exactly is "IGBT power"?? I really don't understand what it is.. TIA.
In modern engines the power that is drawn from the catenary is first converted to DC at a suitable intermediate voltage, something around 3,000v which drives a common DC link bus. Then all the power consumers feed off of this bus through inverters to deliver the right form of AC for each specific use. This is what makes versatile power inverters that are compact very important, and IGBT is the enabling technology for such. Of course one of the major consumers are the traction motors that provide the motive power for the engine to move a train (and itself).
JIS

Thanks for the explination, but one question: Why is all power converted to DC when most of it, the traction component, is then converted back to AC?

Thanks

the AC used in traction motors has to be variable from near zero Hz (DC) to highest needed frequency for top speed.

to obtain the low frequency its best to start with DC power.

So Commercial steady frequency is transformed to DC bus of about 2000 volt DC

the DC bus feeds the inverters for HEP and traction motors.

Back