ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was my understanding that lights flashing is essentially like a stop sign, while a gate that is down is essentially a red light. I suppose that could vary state to state somewhat.
It probably does. In NY when I took the drivers' test, it claimed that it was illegal to drive across a railroad line when the lights are flashing and the bell is ringing.

And if there are *no* lights, you are supposed to stop, look, and listen before crossing.

Great place for a police sting. Any driver who swerves around

the lowered bar gets a free blood-alcohol test. Or not free if

he fails the test.

I mean, you don't have to be drunk to cross the tracks ahead of

an onrushing train, but it helps.

I would take that video to the local precinct and have them enhance the image of the license plate. That pickup crossed the tracks less than 15 seconds before the train passed. Ought to be charged with attempted manslaugher.

you could just post the video on the local police's facebook page, they'll see it
For the record, the local Sheriff's Office (which doesn't have a Facebook page as far as I know) was notified of the video before I posted it here.

Back to the topic at hand, AMTK 615 is on Amtrak #6(25) out of Emeryville. Oddly the report says the Sprinter is behind the Genesis units, not in between them as has been standard until now.

So, as long as nothing goes awry for 615...

Tomorrow: Denver

Saturday: Arrives in Chicago

Sunday: Leaves Chicago

Monday: Arrives in Washington, D.C.

Woo-hoo. Glad to hear the bugs preventing Boston service may be fixed soon.

Next, the bugs preventing Harrisburg service, and then all is well...

The Push-Pull bugs could take longer then expected according to some "reliable sources" at RR.net. It seems that they're are some severe issues with the Push-Pull function. It seems they had tried running one of the units in Push Mode and the Comms between the Loco and Cab-Car were terrible to the point where it shut down at one point.

I'm a little late here I guess, but I thought the ACS-64s already go all the way to Boston? The first ever ACS-64 in revenue service was from Boston in fact.

Also, what does Amtrak 6(25) mean? I know that's the CZ, but what does the 25 mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little late here I guess, but I thought the ACS-64s already go all the way to Boston? The first ever ACS-64 in revenue service was from Boston in fact.

Also, what does Amtrak 6(25) mean? I know that's the CZ, but what does the 25 mean?
It seems they've had problems since then that keep them from regularly traveling up to Boston.

The 25 refers to the origination date of the train. On the western long distance routes, you might have three train 6s running at the same time, so to separate out which train is which, people append the date of origination to them.

Here is the video I took yesterday of Amtrak train #6 that left Emeryville on June 25. The ACS-64 was indeed placed behind the Genesis units. I've heard this is the first time the MU cables were correctly wired this time (or something like that). Would that be related to why it isn't sandwiched between the diesels?

http://youtu.be/CbQPyHCT8D4

OK, that's two bugs solved (Boston bug, presumably to do with 60 Hz power, and the MU bug). Hopefully solving the MU bug will help solve the push-pull bug.

OK, that's two bugs solved (Boston bug, presumably to do with 60 Hz power, and the MU bug). Hopefully solving the MU bug will help solve the push-pull bug.
That was part of it. But not all of it.

They did go to Boston on the first Revenue run and a few others. But the main issue from reading other forums was ACSES transponder issues.

They did go to Boston on the first Revenue run and a few others. But the main issue from reading other forums was ACSES transponder issues.
If there are ACSES transponder issues how are they working between New York and Washington? Amtrak does require ACSES to be fully operational for running between New york and Washington too.

Passing word along that the next batch of Sprinters is scheduled to be placed into service some time in the next two weeks (607-609, 611-612), and 616 is going to be released from the plant soon. Also 174 operated north to BOS today as an ACS double header. Not sure yet, but still possible it will operate back south as a double header on 173 tomorrow. 610 seems to still be MIA. Anyone have word on that unit?

Back