Add another sleeper to the Crescent Please!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
See http://www.travelpullman.com/

Absolutely nothing to do with the Crescent though.
I am getting suspicious because the website has very few info and uses old videos to showcase their product.
The website is just a teaser for their service which is not scheduled to start until October. Iowa Pacific is an established company and the plans for the Pullman service have been written about by Trains Magazine and several business publications. They will add marketing material and information to the website when they are ready.

But as jjs pointed out, this has nothing to do with the Crescent because their announced plans are to add restored Pullman cars to the Lake Shore Limited and City of New Orleans for 2 days a week. It will be a high end boutique type service which won't carry that many passengers.

See http://www.travelpullman.com/

Absolutely nothing to do with the Crescent though.
I am getting suspicious because the website has very few info and uses old videos to showcase their product.
The website is just a teaser for their service which is not scheduled to start until October. Iowa Pacific is an established company and the plans for the Pullman service have been written about by Trains Magazine and several business publications. They will add marketing material and information to the website when they are ready.

But as jjs pointed out, this has nothing to do with the Crescent because their announced plans are to add restored Pullman cars to the Lake Shore Limited and City of New Orleans for 2 days a week. It will be a high end boutique type service which won't carry that many passengers.
I have been in contact with Pullmans marketing department. The sleeper and dining services will begin this October. It will be a high end type of service. Prices and routes will be announced on April 21st on their website www.travelpullman.com . A new website is being put together now that will explain everything. That should be online by mid June. If the service is successful expect it to expand to other routes but how affordable it will be remains to be seen but if Amtrak keeps raising the prices of their crappy worn sleepers who knows, we all may be taking them.

Sold out isn't what matters. It's selling out at a high enough price. Amtrak could sell out an infinite number of sleepers at $1. The trick is optimizing cash flow.
Yeah, and if they sold them out at $1, would it be a megabust?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Unless Amtrak adds diners or otherwise does a lot of extension work on the eastern trains, absent a new overnight train, I think I calculated that 100-110 single-level sleepers is the most that Amtrak could use at the moment, spares included. Of course, this doesn't speak to what they could do with adding through cars to connect between some of the overnight trains and some day trains such as I raised in another thread.

On multi-spots, I know that those are common enough on some routes (I know the Zephyr does one at Osceola, for example).

Of course, this does raise the issue of Amtrak needing more LD coaches as well as "just" sleepers to help with both capacity and CR on some routes. From what I understand, the Crescent could make do with at least one more sleeper and an extra coach north of ATL. Likewise, I'm pretty sure that an extra coach or two and a sleeper wouldn't hurt on the Florida trains (as it is, Amtrak is trying to keep an extra coach available on the Meteor in summer, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back