Adirondack and Vermonter round trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey42

Service Attendant
At some point I saw at least two threads offering advice on a two day New York Penn to New York Penn round trip, but I can't locate them now. The idea is to take the Adirondack going north and return via the Vermonter (or vice versa). Has anyone tried transferring between the two trains and can you provide any advice? Specifically:

• Where to get off the Adirondack
  • Where to board the Vermonter
  • Best way to get between the two stations / cost
  • Convenient place to stay/eat
I am not sure when I would go, and I believe timing of the trip may impact the options, especially if a ferry trip is included.

I had a good time doing the loop trip last summer, Full Report on my blog. The trip worked out really well. Easy walk from the Port Kent Station down the hill to the ferry, had about an hour of a layover. I was visited friends who were renting a house on Lake Champlain, they picked me up at the ferry on the Burlington Waterfront and dropped me off at the station in St. Albans (closer to their house). I had been planning the trip before this opportunity and was all set to spend the night at the hostel in Burlington and the bus up to Essex Junction or even a commuter bus I found (that would work even better now with the later Vermont departure) all the way up to St Albans to get a ride on the full route.

The cross Lake Champlain ferry terminal is about 100 yards (downhill on the northbound Adirondack or uphill for the southbound Adirondack) from the Port Kent stop. As noted, the Adirondack only stops there in the summer. :excl:

The ferry season this year is between June 13 and Sept 29th. Specific info, including fares and schedules, is available at ferries.com.

To get from downtown Burlington to Essex Jct (the Vermonter stop) you can take a cab ride for about $20, or take a bus (Monday-Saturday) from Cherry St in downtown for $1.25 (you would want the #2 Essex Jct bus, whose final stop is at the Amtrak station).

If you need any assistance finding a place to stay or things to do during your time in Burlington, feel free to ask on here or send me a PM. I've lived here for about seven years and am always happy to point visitors in the right direction.

That was quick for a lot of great information. The links were also very helpful.

Thanks!

The ferry season this year is between June 13 and Sept 29th. Specific info, including fares and schedules, is available at ferries.com.
To get from downtown Burlington to Essex Jct (the Vermonter stop) you can take a cab ride for about $20, or take a bus (Monday-Saturday) from Cherry St in downtown for $1.25 (you would want the #2 Essex Jct bus, whose final stop is at the Amtrak station).

If you need any assistance finding a place to stay or things to do during your time in Burlington, feel free to ask on here or send me a PM. I've lived here for about seven years and am always happy to point visitors in the right direction.
Ross, do you drive the bus too?

In the fall of 2011 a friend and I did the Loop northbound on the Adirondack (with the Amtrak dome car) to Rouses Point (4 PM arrival), used Buddy's taxi to St Albans (about 30 miles, maybe $70), spent the night there, then back south on the Vermonter. Daylight all the way, and a very nice trip. If you do the trip in reverse the north end of the Vermonter will be in the dark most of the time (9 PM arrival in St. Albans).

Jimbo

Ross, do you drive the bus too??
I have my license to do it, but if I took a bus out in revenue service, the driver's union would be none too happy! I used to occasionally ferry out of service buses for the Ops department when they were short on staff and I did once drive a revenue route when we were really in a pinch, but it's probably been a good six months since I've been behind the wheel. It is a nice skill to have, though. Definitely different from my day to day duties!

I did this trip a 3-4 years ago in October; I think it was the last weekend that the ferry ran. I stayed in a Tibet Guest House toward Shelburne, south of Burlington. There was public transit from ferry to guest house and guest house to Amtrak. I found the guest house online as well as bus maps and schedules. It all turned out very well and I had a little bit of time to walk around downtown Burlington. And the lake area of NY and rural VT were stunning.

Another loop trip from NYP is to take the LIRR out to Port Washington I think it is - the line that goes past Stoneybrook; take the ferry across LI Sound to Bridgeport and then take Metronorth back to the city.

Does anyone know any 'loops' into NJ?

Another loop trip from NYP is to take the LIRR out to Port Washington I think it is - the line that goes past Stoneybrook; take the ferry across LI Sound to Bridgeport and then take Metronorth back to the city.
That would be Port Jefferson!

Does anyone know any 'loops' into NJ?
NJT Montclair-Boonton Line (runs weekdays peak direction only beyond Montclair) to Denville, Dover or Hackettstown, the Morristown Line back to Newark.

I suppose any trip north of Glen Rock one way on the Main Line, the other way back on the Bergen County Line

In Philly: PATCO to the RiverLINE to Trenton to SEPTA Regional Rail back into Philly

-Chestnut Hill West Line, walk to the Chestnut Hill East Line

-MFL to the Norristown High-Speed Line to the Regional Rail Norristown Line.

With Relatively Short bus rides (here are a few neat ones):

-Metro-North Harlem Line to Brewster (or an out and back to Wassaic) to HART (Housatonic Area Transit) Route 3 to Danbury for the New Haven Line back into New York.

-NJT Pascack Valley Line to Spring Valley to the Tappen Zee Express to Tarrytown (or White Plains) and Metro-North back.

How about this Amtrak loop day trip:

Metro-North or Northeast Regional to New Haven to a Shuttle to Springfield. (I guess or the first morning Acela to Boston)

Lake Shore Limited through the Berkshires Springfield to Albany

Adirondack or Maple Leaf (Ethan Allen Express or Empire Service only on Sundays) back down the Hudson to NYC.

Similar loop from Boston: Lake Shore to Springfield, Vermonter to New Haven, Northeast Regional back to Boston.

You could also conceivably ride the Ethan Allen Express to Rutland, spend the night take CURRENT Route 57 (weekday rush hours only, $3 for a two hour ride) to Bellows Falls and take the Vermonter back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back