Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
My wife and look forward to traveling from Penn Station to Montreal on the Adirondack this summer. It's our first time to Montreal. Any tips on the trip and especially: good inexpensive hotel near the train station (gare)? We plan to rail on to Quebec City after a couple of days in Montreal.

Happy traveling to you all, Gene

Best scenery from NY to Albany is on the left side of the train. After Albany, the best scenery will be on your right side. Make sure that you have the proper documents to cross the border, either a Passport or a birth certificate, along with a photo ID.

Sorry, no idea on cheap hotels in Montreal.

I stayed in a hostel after taking the Vermonter to St. Albans and then the bus to Montreal a couple of years ago, so I don't have specific recommendations on hotels but at the time most seemed significantly cheaper than equivalent U.S. hotels. I'm not sure how the exchange rate compares now, but Montreal is a wonderful city.

My girlfriend and I took the Adirondack from NYP to MTR in fact that trip is how I found these forums. We stayed at the Hotel l'abri du voyageur which is located at the corner of St. Catherine St and Boulevard St. Laurent which is the main corner in downtown Montreal. It's a quick subway ride from Bonaventure station on the Metro (Gare Central) to Place d Armes or you could take the orange line to the Green Line and get off at St Laurent station which is a short walk to the hotel. It's best selling points are location and price. When we went in Summer 2002 the rate was $100 CDN/night which was considerably cheaper for us as the exchange rate was great. It has a here we had one of the studios and really liked it as the rooms are comfortable and nicely maintained.

Back