Adjoining LD sleeper compartments - one party boarding later

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alben

Train Attendant
I want to redeem award points for two adjoining LD sleeper compartments from MSP to SEA. One compartment would be for my wife and I, and the adjoining compartment would be for my parents. Here is the complicated part: my parents live 60 miles down from the originating station, so they would not be getting on in MSP, but rather at the next station stop, SCD.

I have read that if a person does not show up at the originating station, that they will be considered a no-show.

So I thought about this approach: Purchase an award ticket in one compartment in my name with the accompaning passanger as my dad, and book the adjoining second compartment in my wife's name with the accompaning passanger as my mother. Then my parents would simply board at the next station stop. Would this work?

Or, what about this approach: Booking an award ticket from MSP to SEA for my wife and I, and booking the adjoining second compartment for my parents from SCD to SEA with explicit instructions to the reservation agent that the two compartments must be adjoining?

My biggest concern is guaranteeing adjoining compartments.

I have found Guest Rewards agents friendly and helpful. Explain your needs. I would be surprised if they could not accommodate them. Call!

alben,

You'll have no trouble making two reservations, one for your parents and one for yourselves from separate cities and still get adjoining rooms. Any AGR agent should be able to set that up for you, and if they can't, assk for a Supervisor.

No need to play the game of booking one reservation under your name and one under your wife's name.

You can choose your room number/letter when you book through AGR, so just tell them you're making two reservations for you and your parents and you'd like Bedrooms A&B or B&C or whatever works in their system.

The only way I could see this being an issue is if the train is nearly full and there aren't enough rooms remaining to book two right next to each other.

You can choose your room number/letter when you book through AGR, so just tell them you're making two reservations for you and your parents and you'd like Bedrooms A&B or B&C or whatever works in their system.
The only way I could see this being an issue is if the train is nearly full and there aren't enough rooms remaining to book two right next to each other.
I think its B&C and D&E that can be made into suites.

I think its B&C and D&E that can be made into suites.
Yes, it is B&C and D&E.

And, don't count on the Amtrak phone agents to know that. Two years ago was booked in B out of NOL on the CONO, and at the next stop a large family boarded. Despite having asked for a two-room suite, the Amtrak agent booked them into C and D, and assured them it was correct. Oops. I had not trashed my room (yet), so I swapped my B for their D, and everyone was happy.

I recall that George Caldwell had an adjoining bedroom to Hildegard Burns on the Silver Streak. And in the end, it worked out quite well for them, especially in the Gardening Department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back