adult ordering from children's menu?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
The wife and I are taking a trip soon and the menus all seem similar this year. At lunch I can handle the salad or the burger but some of the other stuff just doesn't appeal to me, and I would like some variety since we are riding several trains.

I have enjoyed the "griddled cheese" sandwich before when it was the "specialty sandwich" and I noticed it is available on the children's menu. Anyone had experience in whether an adult can order something off the children's menu if it suits them better? (we are in the sleeper so it would cost Amtrak less to serve this to me anyway).

On the Sunset Limited in January, they ran out of lots of items on the second day and they let everyone order from the children's menu. I guess it really depends on the situation.

My understanding is that they reserve that stock for children. On the last day of the trip, however, I've always been able to order off the children's menu since they're trying to get rid of stock. Sometimes, as seat38a said, that's all they have left.

The new children's menu is going to consist of hot dogs and mac & cheese for lunch and dinner. Gone are grilled cheese, pizza, or chicken fingers.

I've ordered off the children's menu before but usually on the last day of the trip simply because I really did not want to order the full lunch or dinner. This is usually like lunch after three days on the CZ or the EB.

Being a vegetarian, I run out of "choices" on Amtrak pretty soon.. so on several occasions I have asked if I can order off the kids menu, and at least in my case, they have happily let me order off the Kids Menu. It may or may not be due to the fact that I told them about being vegetarian and hence having very limited choice.

More penny wise and pound foolish nonsense from the bean counters @ 60 Mass that are part of the "Financial Excellence" team!

Family friendly Not!
Jim: from the posts, it appears that the children's menu is reserved for children.....with limited stock....unless it is the last day and they then seem to accommodate requests to order off that menu. Nothing to do with "bean counters"!

I have been at a table with coach pax that have not been allowed to order off the kids menu.

I don't usually eat in the diner because of my disabilities, but I know when they announce dinner, they make a point of announcing that the Children's menu is for Children.

On our return trip from El Paso, my wife had no problem ordering off the children's menu but was refused on the Crescent. We had a sleeper in both trains so Amtrak saves money when the children's menu is used by "pre-paid" adults but I can understand if they want to reserve them for kids at the beginning of a run or prohibit coach passengers from taking advantage of the lower price.

I've seen it both ways on many LD trips where adults could order off the kids menu and couldn't! I'm sure it has to do with a limited amount of stock since storage space is @ a premium in the diners!

However I ' still say that "Financial Excellence" is responsible for this in that cutting out pizza, chicken nuggets etc. Is a return to simplified dinning and a national limited menu!

What's next, a limited choice of the chicken, beef and veggie pasta for adults?? I've been told by LSAs that the Special meals will soon go away!

Its already happening on the Auto Train and other LD Trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
More penny wise and pound foolish nonsense from the bean counters @ 60 Mass that are part of the "Financial Excellence" team!

Family friendly Not!
Jim: from the posts, it appears that the children's menu is reserved for children.....with limited stock....unless it is the last day and they then seem to accommodate requests to order off that menu. Nothing to do with "bean counters"!
I think Jim's complaint was with the cheesiness of using the same menu on all trains.

I have been at a table with coach pax that have not been allowed to order off the kids menu.
Same here. And often with a snooty “we don’t serve your kind” attitude to boot.

On our return trip from El Paso, my wife had no problem ordering off the children's menu but was refused on the Crescent. We had a sleeper in both trains so Amtrak saves money when the children's menu is used by "pre-paid" adults but I can understand if they want to reserve them for kids at the beginning of a run or prohibit coach passengers from taking advantage of the lower price.
Instead the passengers learn to take advantage of bringing their own food aboard and Amtrak benefits by... selling fewer products to coach passengers?

I've been told by LSAs that the Special meals will soon go away!
Are we talking about the chef inspired meals or the dietary restriction meals? Either way this seems extremely short sighted. Amtrak seems intent on following the airlines into perpetual dissatisfaction.

More penny wise and pound foolish nonsense from the bean counters @ 60 Mass that are part of the "Financial Excellence" team! Family friendly Not!
Haolerider: Was it really necessary to shout your reply? I’ve seen the dining car staff forbid adults from ordering from the children’s menu at an early seating only to force adults to order from the child’s menu at a later seating for the exact same meal. Apparently they ran out of adult meals. Just imagine how much better it would have been if the folks who wanted kids meals could have chosen them thereby allowing the folks who wanted adult meals to claim them before they ran out. Seems to me that it’s some sort of power struggle that ends up preventing people of all stripes from ordering what they really want.

What I sometimes don't get is that they will refuse to serve you lunch items at dinner. If it's in stock, why not?

Except - as probably is the case with childrens menu - they want to maximize revenue per diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. And often with a snooty “we don’t serve your kind” attitude to boot.
Instead the passengers learn to take advantage of bringing their own food aboard and Amtrak benefits by... selling fewer products to coach passengers?
I've been told by LSAs that the Special meals will soon go away!
Are we talking about the chef inspired meals or the dietary restriction meals? Either way this seems extremely short sighted. Amtrak seems intent on following the airlines into perpetual dissatisfaction.
More penny wise and pound foolish nonsense from the bean counters @ 60 Mass that are part of the "Financial Excellence" team! Family friendly Not!
Haolerider: Was it really necessary to shout your reply? I’ve seen the dining car staff forbid adults from ordering from the children’s menu at an early seating only to force adults to order from the child’s menu at a later seating for the exact same meal. Apparently they ran out of adult meals. Just imagine how much better it would have been if the folks who wanted kids meals could have chosen them thereby allowing the folks who wanted adult meals to claim them before they ran out. Seems to me that it’s some sort of power struggle that ends up preventing people of all stripes from ordering what they really want.
I don't see where I shouted anything. I simply points out that inventory is probably low and that from previous posts, the staff accommodated adults ordering from the children's menu on the last day of a trip. Relax and enjoy the ride!

Family friendly Not!
If Amtrak is eliminating Grilled cheese sandwhiches as mentioned in one of the posts, than it has everything to do with "bean counters".

Family friendly Not!
If Amtrak is eliminating Grilled cheese sandwhiches as mentioned in one of the posts, than it has everything to do with "bean counters".
Considering how cheap it is to throw together a basic Grilled Cheese that is proof Management has taken these cuts too far and will pay for it in the long run with reduced ridership.

As for eating a Grilled Cheese off the Children's Menu I have been able to a couple times on the last Lunch of the northbound Texas Eagle when loads have been light and plenty of stock is still on hand; one time the Chef even threw some Onion on it!

Family friendly Not!
I believe you mean "cheese counters."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back