Advice for an 8-day ride?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Tuesday I'm off on a long AGR loop: JXN-SAS-LAX-SEA-JXN with one night off train in PDX. I've done some long rides before, but would appreciate any insights, wisdom, and suggestions from the experts and marathoners. Also, in the category of blatant self-promotion, please check out my related photo project:

My advice - ENJOY!
cool.gif

I'm envious, but 8 days for me is a "short" trip! Some of mine go for 10 days or more - one way!
biggrin.gif

I'm also envious --

Advice -- When at service stop or station stop with an hour or two to kill -- MOVE - power walk -- just get on the platform and MOVE - get your blood moving -

Get whatever non-AMTK food you can -- the dining car food is decent - really good - but you'll be wanting a change.

Dont know SAS - at SEA there's umajiwaya an easy walk from the King Street Station where there's really good take-away.

My advice - ENJOY!
cool.gif

I'm envious, but 8 days for me is a "short" trip! Some of mine go for 10 days or more - one way!
biggrin.gif

Hi,

Are you in coach or sleeper, that may influence the advice?

If you can look out the rearmost vehicle you may get some different "engineers eye views" of the track.

I hope you will post your pics and writings on the internet too, so that non usa railfans can view them?

Try to show a balance, not all Amtrak stuff is good. After a 5 month trip around India many years ago, seeing fabulous temples, palaces, etc, it is the faces of those I met that give me most pleasure as I look back on those old photos.

Bon Voyage!

Ed :cool:

I'm totally shamed - misspelled Uwajimaya.

Also - take a few extra liters of water -- the train is nowhere near so drying as airplanes - but a reserve of plain water is good. Like Pindar said in the first Olympian ode -- Best of all things is water - that was 2500 years ago but it's still true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back