Advice Requested For July 2011 Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's almost time to actually book the trip. I'll be calling AGR Monday morning Aug. 9 when all my outbound trains should be open for booking. Now I need some advice on specific train consists and location of the best sleeper car.

We'll be booking bedrooms all the way. First train is #98, the Silver Meteor, from SBG to NYP. Since I was just on that train last month, I know we want car 9810, the sleeper nearest the diner (first priority) and farthest from the engine's horn (second priority). And, we want Bedroom B, the one with an adjacent bedroom on only one side of it.

Next comes #49, the LSL from NYP to CHI. This is a Viewliner, right? What's the car number of the sleeper closest to the diner? Are the sleepers currently running on the front end or the rear end of the LSL? And again, we want Bedroom B.
4911. Rear.

Next, train #5, the CZ from CHI to EMY. This is a Superliner, and I know from all the tips on the forum that we want Bedroom E. What's the car number of the sleeper closest to the diner? Again, are the sleepers running on the front or the rear of the CZ?
0531. Usually front, but every once in a while, it goes out backwards.

Finally, train #14, the CS from EMY to SEA with an AmBus continuing to VAC. As this is another Superliner, we'll want Bedroom E. What is the car number for the sleeper closest to the diner?

Word of warning...

Watch out for blackout dates. I planned to use points to ride the Cascades July 1st, 2011 but it is a blackout date.

(Just realized the OP commented on my post on another thread so they already know this info)

Last edited by a moderator:
Question 1: Would AGR let us lay over in SEA overnight on our dime and continue to VAC on the Cascades train the following morning as a continuation of Trip 2. My guess is the answer is NO. If that’s the case, we’d still prefer to stay overnight in SEA, then continue on to VAC on the Cascades early the next morning (1,000 AGR points each).

Trip 3 starts with an overnight in Vancouver on our dime, then a 1-zone award from VAC to WPT. We would definitely prefer to take the early morning Cascade train from VAC to either SEA or PDX, then connect to the EB from either SEA or PDX to WPT. 20,000 AGR points.
I was able to get connections from AGR that are not allowed on amtrak.com, so call and try.

Question 3: Which part of the EB is better for scenery in July? The part leaving from SEA, or the part leaving from PDX?
I would say the scenery from SEA is better. I took both (exactly in July).

While Columbia River on PDX is nice, but it's a short nice segment. From SEA you go right on the beach for like 1 hour, see naval base, the turn to mountains.

Sounds as though you have it all down pretty good, how bout pickin up a neighbor to tag along on your way out of Fla.?
cool.gif
laugh.gif
If you can squeeze into the luggage space above the bathroom, you're welcome to join us.
wink.gif

May be a little tight!!!

Thanx for the invite!
mosking.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/4653125569/in/set-72157624167846620/

Our outbound trip is now booked! :)

I was lucky and got an AGR rep who really knew her stuff. When I explained how I had to split the journey between our two accounts since neither one of us has 50,000 points, and how I wanted to go the long way, she knew exactly what I wanted to do and how to book it. Two of the four bedrooms on the LSL were already booked, so we had to go with our second choice of room, but other than that, everything went smoothly. Still waiting for the confirmation emails, but the points have already been taken from our AGR accounts, and the 5% rebates added back in.

Now to wait a couple of weeks to book our return trip. I'm depending on all my bonus points posting to my Chase Sapphire card when my statement closes later this month. I need all of them to have enough points in my account to book the entire trip.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Back