Advice wanted: Getting off the train before reservation destination?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Webb

I would like some advice for a AGR travel scenario that I've never of heard of before. Can I do this without negative consequences?

Here's the deal. I hold AGR reservations from San Luis Obisbo to LA and thence on the Sunset that evening. AGR was very nice by allowing me to depart early in the AM from San Luis Obsibo with 10 hour layover in LA. I had planned on using the time to explore Metrolink and the various light rail lines in LA.

Since that time, I have become aware of an old friend who lives in Santa Barbara. I would like to be able to spend a few hours in SBA having lunch with my old chum and catch a later PM train to LA in plenty of time to make a 10PM connection to #2. Yes, I could simply change my reservations (pay the cash fare SLO to SBA and use AGR points for the remainder of the trip), however, my buddy works an on-call job and never knows what his work schedule is until the morning of that day. I can't be sure that I will be spending the time in SBA until the day of the trip, after my departure from SLO.

Here's my thought. Keep my reservations as they are. Simply get off the train at SBA. Spend time with my friend and buy a cash ticket (unreserved coach) and catch one of the afternoon trains to LA, still with lots of time to spare for my Sunset connection.

Can anyone see any problems with this plan? Am I going to screw up my ongoing reservation on the Sunset or, since the AGR ticket will have been scanned on departure from SLO, will my subsequent reservation be OK? I don't mind spending the extra bucks for the SBA-LA segment.

What if he attempts to earn points for the paid trip. Do you think that the system will catch that as redundant travel and not allow for the point earnings? (thinking that it may be a different person attempting to earn on your account???)

That is an interesting point.

I wonder if that would trip the "no duplicative reservations" flag. That would suck to have the LD reservation cancelled.

John, for the paid ticket I would definitely NOT put my AGR number on the reservation.

I'd also STRONGLY consider booking the ticket using a different form of your name (Jonathan Webb or J. Middlename Webb, if "John Webb" is the name on your AGR reservation).

EXCELLENT point, Peter.

Just as eTickets were being implemented - the first day they existed - I did something similar. I was going to CHI-STL on the early departure. Going down the wrong way down the Metra Heritage Line the trains were all late and everything was out of slot. We kept getting delayed there waiting for sidings to clear and then further delayed meeting the northbound Lincoln Service trains. I realized that the next southbound Lincoln Service train was only a half-hour behind and decided I wanted an 100 AGR points for $2 so I hopped off in Alton and did that points run. When everything posted I had CHI-STL on one train and ALN-STL on another. Having a duplicate ticket never crossed my mind. (Perhaps stupidly).

Or just buy the ticket for a few days beforehand, since it's an unreserved route.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Of course, if his friend doesn't get the time off to have lunch with him in SBA, he would wind up not being able to use that ticket purchased a few days earlier.

So perhaps the best deal would be to just purchase a cash ticket from SBA to LAX at the SBA station IF he indeed does get off to have lunch with the friend. And skip the AGR points request for that particular segment.

You'll get points for the cash segment you paid. I always do point runs when I'm in the middle of a AGR redemption ride and always gotten the points posted. You won't be flagged because you are taking a legitimate trip.

Back