AGR Account for Spouse

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers55

Service Attendant
My wife and I both have a guest rewards account.

The agent I talked to at the intial registration insisted on it.

Is there any advantage to both of us having an account?

It would seem to me that if we accrue points in seperate accounts

it would be more difficult to redeem them.

Currently I purchase all the tickets and the Chase Mastercard is in

my name.

My wife and I both have a guest rewards account. The agent I talked to at the intial registration insisted on it.

Is there any advantage to both of us having an account?

It would seem to me that if we accrue points in seperate accounts

it would be more difficult to redeem them.

Currently I purchase all the tickets and the Chase Mastercard is in

my name.
For rail travel points, accrual is only to the person named on the ticket regardless of who purchases the ticket. Tickets in you wife's name can only be credited to an account in her name. So, the agent is right. If you are both traveling, you both should have accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. My mom and I have of late been traveling on Amtrak, so we both have accounts. Even though the bedroom/roomette goes on my account, she still earns some points for herself. And just recently we were on the Auto Train with my sister's family and one of my brother's. So while the bulk of the family rode on my points, we still needed to buy two roomettes. So in that case, mom got roomette points as well as me. If she had no account, we'd have lost those points.

It's taken her longer to accrue points, but nonetheless at this point she'll probably have enough points for a two zone sleeper next July for the OTOL fest to LAX. I'll use some of my points for one of the other legs, and we'll pay for the remainder.

So I believe that the agent gave you perfect advice. It may take her a while to earn enough points to be useful, but if she didn't have an account, you'd be loosing points.

As Alan stated, only the pax whose name is on the ticket earns the AGR points. A few years ago, my sister and I shared a bedroom. My ticket had my rail fare and the room charge on it. My sister's ticket only showed her rail fare.

Thus (I forget the amounts), I earned 1000 AGR points. Because my sister had her own AGR account, she earned 150 AGR points! If she did not have her own AGR account, those 150 points would have been lost!

She doesn't travel that much, but she has almost 5,000 AGR points!

Back