AGR BOS-ATL connect in WAS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent ATN & TCL

OBS Chief
We are planning a trip for June 2012, we will be redeeming a bedroom from BOS to ATL. We would prefer to change at WAS, the only way this seems possible is to take an Acela from BOS to WAS. Will AGR allow this, or will we be forced to take a Regional and change at NYP?

#1) A separate AGR award MUST be used for the Acela. Only Regionals can be used on a thru AGR award.

#2) There is no guaranteed connection from/to an Acela or from/to any other train.

#3) If you really wanted to do this, it would cost 8,500/11,000 (IIRC) points for the Acela - plus then the regular number of points (5,500/15,000/20.000) from WAS to ATL!

#1) A separate AGR award MUST be used for the Acela. Only Regionals can be used on a thru AGR award.

#2) There is no guaranteed connection from/to an Acela or from/to any other train.

#3) If you really wanted to do this, it would cost 8,500/11,000 (IIRC) points for the Acela - plus then the regular number of points (5,500/15,000/20.000) from WAS to ATL!
I figured that. We were trying to do the self transfer from BON to BBY and come straight from POR home but we can't do that and make a connection at WAS without using the Acela. So I guess we will have to switch at NYP or spend an extra night in BOS.

You do realize that if you're redeeming a bedroom award, you can use the Club Acela in NYP?
huh.gif
Also, you get BC on the Regional?
huh.gif
And you can also get the award for the same number of points to POR - including BC on the Downeaster?
huh.gif

cool.gif

You do realize that if you're redeeming a bedroom award, you can use the Club Acela in NYP?
huh.gif
Also, you get BC on the Regional?
huh.gif
And you can also get the award for the same number of points to POR - including BC on the Downeaster?
huh.gif

cool.gif
Yes, its just not possible to leave POR for ATL without a bus connection and still change at WAS on a weekend. If we leave on a weekday we can do everything as planned with a connection in WAS and all on a train with no bus. We may just have to take and extra vacation days for that Monday and Tuesday.

Our whole plan is to start in ATN buy coach to ATL, redeem ATL-SKY for a bedroom via WAS on the Crescent and Capitol Limited. Spend 3-4 days at Cedar Point. Redeem SKY-BOS or BBY in Roomette on the Lakeshore Limited, spend 2-3 days in Boston. Then buy a ticket on the Downeaster from BON to POR spend 2 nights in Portland. Finally Redeem Bedroom all the way back to ATL and buy coach from ATL-ATN.

I knew about getting BC on trains that don't have sleepers, and about using the lounges. I just didn't know if Acela BC was equivalent to Regional BC.

I also wondered if they would sell us an extension on our rooms from ATN-ATL and visa versa at a cheaper rate than listed on the site since we are continuing through? I mean its cheaper to buy from NYP-ATN and get off one stop earlier than it is to buy to ATL.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that they are now allowing Acela to LD train connections. Try booking one and see what happens. I would be curious as to how many points they would charge for that.

I just didn't know if Acela BC was equivalent to Regional BC.

I also wondered if they would sell us an extension on our rooms from ATN-ATL and visa versa at a cheaper rate than listed on the site since we are continuing through? I mean its cheaper to buy from NYP-ATN and get off one stop earlier than it is to buy to ATL.
Acela is "equivalent" to Regional coach (in name only). Regionals offer 2 classes, coach and BC. Acela offers 2 classes, BC and First. (No coach on Acela.)

Depending on the conductor, and if the room is sold, you may or may not get to occupy or early or late.I have occupied my roomette early from MTZ to SAC and LAX to ONA, and also late from SAC to MTZ. However, I heard from others that they could not occupy their rooms from CLE to TOL (the very next stop - and both in the middle of the night)!
ohmy.gif

Acela is "equivalent" to Regional coach (in name only). Regionals offer 2 classes, coach and BC. Acela offers 2 classes, BC and First. (No coach on Acela.)
I was asking AGR-wise not amenity-wise. I know you get BC on Regional with AGR sleeper redemptions, I wanted to know if that also qualified you for Acela BC (coach). I also noticed you can now connect to/from Acela if you buy that routing, so does that mean you can also redeem it? Seems like if you can buy it you should be able to redeem it, since it is BC and you are entitled to BC you should be able to get it without extra points.

Back