AGR Connecting Train Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric S

Engineer
I've never redeemed AGR points for anything other than very simple trips, so I have a few (perhaps basic) questions.

Over the summer, I expect to travel from PHL to MKE, and I would like to redeem AGR points for the trip. I'd also like to travel via the Lake Shore Limited (so, PHL-NYP-CHI-MKE) as I intend to travel MKE-CHI-PGH-PHL on the first way (purchase tickets, not AGR). I'll probably book a roomette on the LSL. My questions are as follows:

Will I have to take a Northeast Regional train PHL-NYP that has a relatively short layover in NYP, or can I request to take an earlier train (maybe mid-morning or so) so as to have a few hours in NYP?

Will travel PHL-NYP have to be by Northeast Regional coach or is travel by Acela Express possible, without an additional cost (in points or dollars)?

Acela is definately not going to be included. That would require a seperate reservation; be it paid or award. Only Regionals will be included on an AGR award.

However, if you do get a roomette, you are also entitled to Business class on that Regional. Not all agents will book you into BC however, unless you specify it.

As for the choice of trains, generally they'll offer one or two options, but it's unlikely that they'd let you book an 8:00 AM departure out of Philly. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured (although somehow I forgot about BC on the NE Regional). I appreciate the response.

I can't get arrow to pull up a route to MKE that involves the LSL from anywhere but NYP. Anywhere south of there only gives the option of the Cardinal (I randomly picked a day that it'll run), a regional to WAS to catch the CL or the Pennsy to PGH to catch the CL.

That said, since you're going to have to book 2 separate reservations, you can get to NYP at whatever time you want and via whatever method you want.

Just yesterday, I had made an AGR reservation from MET-STL. I wanted to connect the LSL, but Arrow only showed the Cardinal and CL. But there were 3 trains that connected to the LSL.

The AGR agent worked it so I could do so! :cool:

I don't know if

1. I'm nice (I know that can't be it :lol: )
  2. I had a nice agent
  3. I'm Select
  4. 2 of the above.
Also try to select the departure time of like "12 noon" instead of "anytime". It may help.

I just put in dates for next Tuesday departing at 12 PM and did not get the LSL. However, if I change things to Chicago, I do get train 84 connecting to the LSL. So my guess is that it's more of a glitch in the system than anything. Since AGR can piece the reservation together, they should be able to book it for you.

Back