AGR Gurus - please help with this 2 zone trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband has graciously agreed to being tortured in my version of heaven by spending 6 nights in a roomette.... with me! :eek: :p :giggle:

Here's the trip I want to plan:

HOM (Holland, MI) to SEA

Westbound: PM HOM-CHI SWC CHI-LAX CS LAX-SEA

Eastbound: CS SEA-SAC CZ SAC-CHI PM CHI-HOM

When I plug this in, I'm only given the EB as my eastbound option and that train has the worst connection time to the PM.

If I change my origination to CHI, then I get the CZ option as well as others - is this just a glitch I shouldn't worry about?

I've read here that AGR will only book you on what arrow shows.

I suppose the worst case scenario is booking the eastbound trip to CHI and then paying for CHI-HOM on a separate res.

I've also read here - and this makes me sad - that you can only book the most direct route.

Is that true?

That would leave the EB as my only option :(

As always, TIA for any help or suggestions :)

I agree call AGR, and most likely they can book what you want!

Also on the return trip, I would recommend that instead of connecting in SAC (Sacramento to connecting either Davis (DAV) or Martinez (MTZ). Both of these are guaranteed connections (if the CS is running late, you can always get off early), you will get breakfast on the CS and getting off in SAC at 6:xx am is no fun (especially with the construction going on in the station)!

Also on the return trip, I would recommend that instead of connecting in SAC (Sacramento to connecting either Davis (DAV) or Martinez (MTZ). Both of these are guaranteed connections (if the CS is running late, you can always get off early), you will get breakfast on the CS and getting off in SAC at 6:xx am is no fun (especially with the construction going on in the station)!
The Master has Spoken! ;) Nice trip Joanie, if you your husband doesnt want to go can I take his place? ^_^

Call and see what the agent will offer you. There really aren't any hard and fast rules (and if there were, it would still depend on the agent in question).
Thanks, Ryan.

Ha! See? That's why I have to ask you guys what to do.

I didn't even think of that as an option and it sure makes a lot more sense - thanks.

So, basically, I can call and set up each leg of the trip the way I want?

I understand that they don't allow overnight layovers within a zone as a matter of course without redeeming another zone reward.

The Master has Spoken! ;) Nice trip Joanie, if you your husband doesnt want to go can I take his place? ^_^
Hehe.... thanks!

I figured we may as well do it big on the most scenic routes.

We'll stay in Seattle for a couple of nights so he can have a little respite.

2 nights on the EB weren't enough for me so I know that I'll love 3 nights.

Could you spend a night in Emeryville or Martinez getting off the northbound CS? Take one of the Capitols the next day to Sacramento and see the California Railroad Museum http://www.csrmf.org/visitor-information/hours-admission-location

Take the next CS north out of Sacramento at midnight. You can store or check baggage at the Sacramento station.

An hour from 10 to 11 AM is not enough to see what you want to see in the museum before you board the CZ.

If you wanted to see a different section of the EB take one of the new Talgo Amtrak Cascades trains to Portland from Seattle.

You will enjoy the view along the Columbia Gorge as you cross the river and head east on the Washington side of the river.

Could you spend a night in Emeryville or Martinez getting off the northbound CS? Take one of the Capitols the next day to Sacramento and see the California Railroad Museum http://www.csrmf.org/visitor-information/hours-admission-location
OP could do that, but it would cost another 15K award to go from SEA to SAC/MTZ/DAV. There are no stopovers allowed on an AGR award! Besides, to go from SEA to California then back to PDX and the EB would defeat her desire to take the CZ! :excl:

Back