AGR Points Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Like many AGR Chase Card holders, I'm a little concerned about the current program! Maybe (Hopefully) too concerned! But, I paid my monthly bill in full on Monday, Immediately after receiving statement. Chase has acknowledged payment & the money was withdrawn from my checking account but no points added to my AGR account! I know it's early, but usually receive my points immediately??? Any comforting ideas out there?

Thanx

Thanx guys! I've only had my card for seven months & paid off the balance immediately each time I receive the statement, which is the 28th of the month. I guess I'm a little jumpy since I finally got the card & now it looks like the Chase / Amtrak partnership is ending!!!!

My billing date is the 27th, and like clockwork, the AGR points post on the 28th - until this month. I also have not had my points from the March 27 statement post. The bank statement lists the points that were earned through card activity, but so far, the AGR account does not reflect those points. It's just a couple of days, so it is likely not a big deal, but it is unusual.

Thanx guys! I've only had my card for seven months & paid off the balance immediately each time I receive the statement, which is the 28th of the month. I guess I'm a little jumpy since I finally got the card & now it looks like the Chase / Amtrak partnership is ending!!!!
Where are you getting this from?

There has been talk about Chase switching to Visas rather than MasterCards, but I've neither heard nor seen that the partnership is ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah, while talking to the Chase rep. this morning, I asked if ,in fact, Amtrak & Chase were ending their partnership & she said yes. She also stated that they werent told why, but no more applications would be accepted. ??? I'm hoping she is wrong. I also have heard many SCAs say Amtrak was training new crews for the Sunset Ltd, NOL-Jax, too! So who knows!!!!

Just because she said they were not taking new applications does not mean they are ending the card. As said, if they switch to Visa, they may want new applicants to apply for a Visa and not MasterCard. Or when the new agreement is signed, Chase may be again taking new applications for the MasterCard!

I had a contract a while back with AT&T for cell service with unlimited data. Then AT&T changed their plan and were not signing up new accounts with unlimited data, but I still did.

Just because she said they were not taking new applications does not mean they are ending the card. As said, if they switch to Visa, they may want new applicants to apply for a Visa and not MasterCard. Or when the new agreement is signed, Chase may be again taking new applications for the MasterCard!
Yeah, instead of ending gracefully it might simply refuse to go away like Diners Club or Terri Schiavo.

If there were something to be known, I'm certain that there would be a formal announcement, not word trickling through various CSRs.
Yes.

The other thing to consider is that there many, many people who have *purchased* points to make up a small difference needed for travel. I find it unbelievable that a program like this would be cancelled without advanced notification. If AGR moves from Chase MC to another card, there MUST be a way to transfer rewards to the new vendor - especially considering the large number of people who have purchased a product and expect it to be delivered.

If there were something to be known, I'm certain that there would be a formal announcement, not word trickling through various CSRs.
Yes.

The other thing to consider is that there many, many people who have *purchased* points to make up a small difference needed for travel. I find it unbelievable that a program like this would be cancelled without advanced notification. If AGR moves from Chase MC to another card, there MUST be a way to transfer rewards to the new vendor - especially considering the large number of people who have purchased a product and expect it to be delivered.
The point purchases are handled by a separate vendor, so that would not be affected. (Nor would any points be lost in a transition.)

The other thing to consider is that there many, many people who have *purchased* points to make up a small difference needed for travel. I find it unbelievable that a program like this would be cancelled without advanced notification.
Although it is rather unlikely the AGR program would suddenly cease to exist, so far as I am aware there is no legal restriction which would prevent Amtrak from dismantling Guest Rewards and voiding unredeemed points at their sole discretion. This appears to be a near universal truth of loyalty programs. It's important to remember that loyalty points have no intrinsic value or purpose and your membership in the program generally grants few if any guarantees or protections. In simple terms until your points are spent on an actual service or product their negotiable value is mostly hypothetical.

As a practical matter it's tedious and disruptive to substantially change loyalty programs at the drop of a hat, but in legal terms Amtrak is in no way obligated to honor unredeemed points at a specific rate on a given day for a particular purpose. Even though many of us may funnel hundreds or even thousands of dollars toward loyalty programs on a regular basis the reality is that we're rolling dice in the hope that we'll be taken care of when it comes time to redeem. In my view this fundamental imbalance is an important fact to remember the next time you're considering a large purchase or planning an long trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back