AGR points redeemed for rail fare part of sleeper reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVYBLUE

Lead Service Attendant
Just started riding AMTRAK last year. Going LAX-CHI-WAS and return VIA CS-CZ-CL on 12/9. Can I use my AGR points (wife and I both AGR members) for rail fare portion.

Can we both use points to pay the "rail fare" part of our sleeper resevation from LAX-DEN (one zone ????) ?

Thanks for any and all replies ??

NAVYBLUE

It sounds like you want to redeem the coach amount of points (5500 each) and then just pay for the accom charge? No.

If you redeem an AGR sleeper award, it includes the rail fare for both, the accommodation charge for the room and 3 meals per day in the Dining Car for both! You do not have to redeem a 2nd award for the rail fare portion.

Your reward can only be for the class of service that you are taking. So no, you can't use points to pay the rail fare and then pay the dollars for accomodation charge. You can only use points to reserve a sleeper or coach. You can't combine awards with payments.

You could purchase the accomodations on board, subject to the going rate and whether the conductor will even bother to process the paperwork. There is a separate thread on that.

You could purchase the accomodations on board, subject to the going rate and whether the conductor will even bother to process the paperwork. There is a separate thread on that.
An onboard paid upgrade of an AGR redemption coach ticket to sleeper is no longer permitted.

Upgrades to redemption reservations may not be purchased onboard the train from the conductor. To modify the class of service of your redemption reservation, you must have enough points to redeem for the new, upgraded reservation and contact Amtrak Guest Rewards for availability. Points may not be combined with other forms of payment for an upgrade in service.
AGR News

Back