Air Mattress for Superliner Roomettes and Bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmCee Al

Train Attendant
Since there seems to be fewer posts today, I thought I would use the opportunity to describe an air mattress that I purchased and was able to try out. I wanted something for use on the lower berths of Superliner Roomettes, as well as the upper berths of Superliner Bedrooms, because honestly at times I have found Amtrak's pads to be a bit hard while sleeping.

According to Amtrak, the roomette lower berth is 28" x 78" and the bedroom upper berth is 28" x 74". So, I looked for a compact air mattress that would fit both. I found the Tensor 25L, made by Nemo. It packs very compactly (see photo below) and is sized 25" x 76". Not only that, it is more "cellular" than "tubular"in design, and takes less than twenty breaths to inflate.

On my last trip on the Southwest Chief, I gave it a try in the upper of a bedroom. I told the SCA, who assured me that I was OK to use it. I did not inflate it completely, because it seemed to me that an under inflated air mattress beneath the Amtrak pad would be best. Even though the dimensions appeared to be 2" too long, it fit the berth very nicely!

I was apprehensive, but turned out the improvement in comfort was amazing! With the air mattress in place, I was one happy camper, and slept straight thru the night without any interruptions! In the morning, I used the rapid deflate plug while I was still in the berth and the pad immediately deflated. I do have to say that rolling the mattress up in the bedroom was a bit of a challenge, but it did work out OK.

The Tensor 25L is pricey, about $140, but to me personally, the improvement in sleeping comfort is worth it. Disclaimer, I have no relationship with the manufacturer or with any sales outlets.

IMG_0707.JPG

Good for you. Amtrak "mattresses" are really just surplus prison foam rolls.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Surplus prison foam rolls" is a perfect description! The upper berth mattress in a Superliner Bedroom looks thick and comfy, but looks are deceiving. The lower berth mattress in a Superliner roomette is much thinner; someone may have decided that the seat cushions were OK for sleeping when combined with thinner mattress material.

My first chance to try the Tensor 25L in a roomette won't happen until a Cal Zephyr trip in late January or early February '17.

I looked up this, and one costs over $150. It's designed for backpacking, so it might even feel a little too warm.

I've got a Therm-A-Rest air mattress myself. That's kind of been the standard for years, although it's it doesn't have the bells and whistles like a metalized film to reflect heat.

Since I travel by myself in a Roomette I sleep on the top bunk using the lower berth mattress on top of the upper berth mattress.

I have the TA-Sleeper leave both the seats in their daytime configuration so I have a bit more room to maneuver when I am 'downstairs' in the middle of the night or in the morning.

I tried sleeping in upper bunk using both mattress's in a Viewliner Roomette. It did not work for me. Just not enough room in upper bunk for me. I'm 6' 170lbs.

A somewhat related question, is it ok not make the beds into chairs during day time? Or only make the lower bunk into chairs and leave the upper bunk as a bed so one can climb up for a nap?

The things we have to do for comfort on Amtrak are truly absurd: duct tape, shims, byo mattress, byo refrigerator, byo food next after diners are eliminated. I hope Amtrak shapes up some day.

We've only traveled in an Amtrak bedroom exclusively and while the mattresses are not like something that you would find at the Ritz Carlton, they never prevented us from getting to sleep. In the Golden days of passenger rail, passengers slept on thick comfortable mattresses. Even the low cost Pullman section sleepers had really thick mattresses. I wasn't around back then but saw the setups in railroad museums and they were like real beds. In the dining cars patrons dined on tables with white tablecloths and fine china with meals prepared by gourmet chefs. Back then over 30 railroad companies offered LD train service.

Amtrak is the sole provider now but I guess that we should be thankful that we still have LD trains.

Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of riding the Canadianin with the Wonderful mattresses and Bedding in the Sleepers, including the Sections,has missed out.

Amtrak Sleepers with the Bedrolls are Steerage in Comparison!

Yes we were on the VIA Canadian #1 last week in a bedroom and the mattresses are actual mattresses with springs, very comfortable. Also, zero to few rattles generally in the room.

A somewhat related question, is it ok not make the beds into chairs during day time? Or only make the lower bunk into chairs and leave the upper bunk as a bed so one can climb up for a nap?
On a Viewliner, during the day I have the chairs set up for my kid and I can sit. I also have the upper bed pulled down, and my kid can also use that area as a play room. On a Viewliner, there is enough head room both under the upper bed to sit in the chairs, and over the upper bed to sit up and look out the window.

Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of riding the Canadianin with the Wonderful mattresses and Bedding in the Sleepers, including the Sections,has missed out.

Amtrak Sleepers with the Bedrolls are Steerage in Comparison!
Chose an upper berth in a section on the Canadian 3 years ago to complete a bucket list item. Rode 4 nights from Vancouver to Toronto. Slept like a baby all 4 nights. Lower berth was occupied each night by someone else. Since I rode in roomettes and bedrooms on US railroads pre-Amtrak, my next Canadian trip will likely be in a lower berth in a section, so I can check that one off as well.

I don't think the upper bunk can be converted into chairs, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will respond to your question.

Of course you are right. Maybe he just means down and not stowed. In a Superliner that is asking for bumps on the head unless you are very short. In a VL, the upper travels straight up and down, and the headroom issue is minor unless you are very tall.

On a Viewliner, during the day I have the chairs set up for my kid and I can sit. I also have the upper bed pulled down, and my kid can also use that area as a play room. On a Viewliner, there is enough head room both under the upper bed to sit in the chairs, and over the upper bed to sit up and look out the window.
Thank you, that's exactly what I am hoping for. :)

I don't think the upper bunk can be converted into chairs, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will respond to your question.
I understand that. I was envisioning something like two chairs and an overhead bunk bed. :)

On Amtrak, sure, people do it all the time. You can do it in a bedroom and turn the lower into the couch, or in a roomette into the two chairs. Also, the upper is easy to lower, there is a latch in the handle and you can just pull it down any time you want to.

On VIA's Canadian, in a bedroom you can stow the lower and have the chairs set up. They don't have the couch.

The things we have to do for comfort on Amtrak are truly absurd: duct tape, shims, byo mattress, byo refrigerator, byo food next after diners are eliminated. I hope Amtrak shapes up some day.
For the newbies out there, I really should point out that these items are strictly optional. We've been taking advantage of sleeping cars as long as I can remember (14 nights each the last 3 years) and never brought any of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back