albuquerque station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traveler out west

Hello

We are taking the SW Chief to Lamy/Santa Fe on Sunday from LA. We plan to leave Santa Fe early mid-week on the new Railrunner commuter to Albuquerque and spend the day in Old Town there before getting on the Chief at 4 to return to LA.

Is there short-term bag check available at the Albuquerque station? We sure don't want to haul our bags around the city. I've checked out the web site of the new Alvarado Station in Albuquerque but can't find any information. I know that stations like LA, Santa Barbara and San Diego will store your luggage short-term for $3 a bag, but don't know if that is a standard Amtrak service at all stations.

Anyone out there who has information?

there are a few coin operated storage compartments in the train/bus part of the station. we used them without problem although for large pieces it might be tight but you could always check those. we were able to stuff backpacking type packs in.

i don't know if the amtrak agent will provide short term storage but you could probably call and ask

As yarrow said, unless you need a suitcase during your trip on the train, I would just check them as baggage when you first arrive that day. And if you do need a small bag (like for clothes) on the train, perhaps you could use one of the lockers. And this way, you wouldn't have to carry those bags with you all day. (And if you check bag(s), you can retrieve them in LAX!) ;)

You can store your bags for $3 each at any station with checked baggage service. So you will be able to at ABQ if you so chose. Also as someone said you can also check your bags to LAX for free. So I would check the bag you won't need during your journey, and perhaps check in your carry-on for the fee and get it back. The kicker is you won't have access to your checked bag until you reach LA. It'll be up to you how you do it. Ive also found the each station agent is different. Some will want $3 for each bag, some will be nice and let you stow as much as you have and still count it as 'one bag.' Just ask the agent what he or she will do for you.

You can store your bags for $3 each at any station with checked baggage service. So you will be able to at ABQ if you so chose. Also as someone said you can also check your bags to LAX for free. So I would check the bag you won't need during your journey, and perhaps check in your carry-on for the fee and get it back. The kicker is you won't have access to your checked bag until you reach LA. It'll be up to you how you do it. Ive also found the each station agent is different. Some will want $3 for each bag, some will be nice and let you stow as much as you have and still count it as 'one bag.' Just ask the agent what he or she will do for you.
Thank you. That is terrific information to know. I wish Amtrak would add it to its website about baggage do's and dont's. I guess that is why this forum is so valuable!

Thank you. That is terrific information to know. I wish Amtrak would add it to its website about baggage do's and dont's. I guess that is why this forum is so valuable!
Actually the fee can vary, I'm pretty sure that it's 5 bucks in Boston and NYC is at least $5 if not more. And while I'm not sure if it is still the case, a few years back in New Orleans if you were in a sleeper they waived the charge.

Actually the fee can vary, I'm pretty sure that it's 5 bucks in Boston and NYC is at least $5 if not more. And while I'm not sure if it is still the case, a few years back in New Orleans if you were in a sleeper they waived the charge.
It's not the fee that really would matter. It's the availability, especially since coin lockers have all but disappeared in the wake of 9-11. I consider it a bargain to be able to be free of carry-on bags and sight=see before departure, rather than be tethered to your bags and pass the time in the station.

Good itinerary, though. Old Town is way underrated, low key and easily accessible from the station.

Or, as at Milwaukee last summer, the clerk can refuse to store bags. Rather annoying, as they were hardly busy, or lacking in storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back